SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Effective Tool?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re:

Quote:
Thanks I will listen to it when I have some extra time, when I was recently exposed to the full gospel I was torn between to worlds of saying the Sinner's Prayer or Not saying it then looking at the facts saw that the Sinner's Prayer was quite ineffective,

well todays version of the sinners prayer may be for most ineffective, i would agree, even tho i myself came to meet the lord by a "sinners prayer", but todays version is squeezed in after a one hour service, and most often no mention of the cross, denying self, repentance, counting the cost etc, just the positive sides.

Charles Finney that some say ws the "originator" of the sinners prayer or altar calls to accept christ, dont know if he was or not, but he did them, but usually he would have spent three weeks of preaching on Gods wrath, the law, repentance before giving an invitation, if i remember right someone asked him when he knew the time was right to give an invitation, and he said when no one in the audience could any longer look him straight in the eyes....

He would preach until every single one where convinced of their sins and crimes against a Holy God before he would invite anyone to receive Christ.

This we dont see anymore.... so back then it may have been effective, but what we also make a mistake in, is we copy anointed mens methods, nd think we will get same results... Finney used this method and with Gods anointing he got fruits, Spurgeon never gave a single invitation and he still got results, but he also was anointed by God. So if we have this anointing, God will lead us to different ways of drawing men to the Lord... but this is the KEY , not any specific method or three step way etc.

Just my thoughts on this, if someone comes to us and seem genuinely broken and hating their sins and life and would do anything to be forgiven and come to know the Lord, a sinners prayer may be the thing that is right just then, for someone else we might need sit down and show them what it meens to come to Christ, show them the seriousness of sin and their crimes etc, make them understand what it meens instead of jumping the gun and proclaim them saved after a one minute prayer.

2010/3/7 5:02Profile
mguldner

Kansas

Re:

So Charles Finney is the originater of the Sinner's Prayer? Do you know of any statistics as far as the effectiveness of when he used it? And reading what you posted it seems that he of anyone else did it the correct manor if the sinner's prayer is to be used. A man must know the enormity of his sin before he can truly be grateful for what Christ had done on the cross. until then the lost have no clue they are lost and the Sinner has no clue who they are sinning against and the deeper consequences until one comes to this conclusion, they will find the need for repenting just plain pointless.

2010/3/9 1:12Profile
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re: Effective Tool?

well some report there where several hundred thousands saved during Finneys time, and the third great awekening. J edwin Orr speaks of some of that here [url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/singlefile.php?lid=150&commentView=itemComments]J edwin Orr sermon[/url]

2010/3/9 11:44Profile
osandoval

Re:

From what I've always understood, Finney was the originator of the altar call, not the sinner's prayer. But i could be wrong. I would have to agree with those who believe the sinner's prayer does more harm than good. And even though the Lord might graciously and mercifully use it from time to time to convert someone, I believe we should not use it at all, due to the horrible results and massive deception that has been associated with it. I think it is a golden calf that many in the Church refuse to forsake. There is absolutely no need for it, it is unbiblical. We just need to preach the Gospel(repentance and faith in Christ), urging sinners to obey the gospel, and leave the results with God. I agree with Hmmmmm that we need the anointing of the Holy Spirit to be effective, not a certain method.

2010/3/12 12:38Profile
intrcssr83

Logan City, Queensland, Australia

Re:

Quote:
by mguldner on 2010/3/9 13:12:48

So Charles Finney is the originater of the Sinner's Prayer? Do you know of any statistics as far as the effectiveness of when he used it?

Highly recommend this video:
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oi5PR96Efs]The Graham Formula[/url]

While the modern altar call can be attributed to Finney, the actual process of a "Sinners Prayer" and "Decisional Regeneration" could probably be attributed to Billy Sunday.

Personally, I see nothing wrong with the idea of ending any form of fellowship meeting with a call to respond and receive counsel/ministry; but given how it is done most of the time, it has become nothing more than a ministry.

2010/3/12 14:50Profile

Re:

The Graham Formula is a great video.

Also, Ian Murray has a book on "The Invitational System".

Also, I would highly recommend the sermons of Paul Washer. He speaks a lot on the topic of decisionism and regeneration.

2010/3/12 15:02
mguldner

Kansas

Re:

Something that bugs me is the quickness of how fast preachers call people to the alters but rush them out 5 to 15 minutes later. If I am needing spiritual counsel beyond this I am in trouble because the Alter time is over. But preachers try and rush people in to the alters, have them say a prayer to ease their troubled souls and then rush them out because its lunch time and we need to beat the other churches to the good resturants. I know that this isn't the case for all places but please prayer for my church because this seems to be a trend. I hope to change this in the future next time I preach.

God Bless,
Matthew

2010/3/12 19:25Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy