SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : MUST HEAR: Missionary Commitment by Billy Graham

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 )
PosterThread
iansmith

Wheaton, IL

Re:

Whyme,

Please do not twist my words. I have stated repeatedly that I do not hold a universalist understanding of scripture. I believe in hell, and I believe that the scripture testifies that apart from Jesus no man can be saved. I am missionary candidate not because I believe that there is any other way to be saved, but because I know that there are millions every day sinking into hell without the knowledge of Jesus.

"Has the potter no right over the clay, to make out of the same lump one vessel for honorable use and another for dishonorable use? What if God, desiring to show his wrath and to make known his power, has endured with much patience vessels of wrath prepared for destruction" Romans 9:21-22

God clearly does not give light unto salvation to all men, this is born out in scripture. However, I am saying that it is not BEYOND God to give light unto a few through natural theology and their own consciences which testify to his existence unto repentance and faith in Jesus.

Consider what John the Baptist says, "Produce fruit in keeping with repentance. And do not begin to say to yourselves, 'We have Abraham as our father.' For [b]I tell you that out of these stones God can raise up children for Abraham[/b]." Luke 3:8

Quote:
Finally, if Hindus, Buddhist, Muslims, etc. can find their own path to God through their religions as implied

You obviously have not read my post nor considered Billy Graham's statement, this is absolutely not what I am saying. There is no path through any other religion or philosophy that leads to the Father. I am saying that the Father has the power to call people out of those groups individually through personal revelation even if there is not a witnessing church present. This is something we are seeing is increasingly common with Muslims who oftentimes receive dreams and visions of the Lord Jesus Christ.

2010/3/9 10:57Profile
whyme

Re:

Ian Smith, didn't mean to throw you under the bus. My comments were directed at the crowd that believes in the wider mercy of God like Shuller and even Graham if what he has said in the recent past is what I think it is. Sorry.

As for special revelation of Christ to a "few", especially where the church isn't reaching, I agree with you. I've seen some amazing testimonials in this regard. But even those exceptional special revelations where Christ reveals Himself without a witness prove that apart from such revelation and the knowledge of Him shone in the heart, that salvation will not come except through Christ. Thus, my question for the thread, how does God draw ALL men unto Himself (as in each and every man) if we know that not all men are preached to or receive a special knowing revelation?

2010/3/9 11:45Profile
hoohoou

Texas

Re:

I like what was said about Solomon and David living at times in sin. Though they did those things we still read their Inspired Word. We know that Billy Graham may have stepped back from what he once preached, fine. What is not up for debate is that this message has the power to lead people to Christ. Jonathan Edwards is dead and Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God still preaches today. Leonard Ravenhill is dead and his sermons most certainly still preach. Paris Reidhead is dead and Ten Shekels and a Shirt changed the way I see the Church. Billy may be dead spiritually now, if he does in fact think there are other ways to heaven except Christ, but this sermon still preaches. It is the Gospel and the Gospel will always have the power to save man's soul. It doesn't matter what the man who preached it now thinks. In my most humble opinion, Matt.

2010/3/10 23:02Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

I listened to this sermon carefully. I believe Christ was proclaimed in it, and done so in power. Whatever one may say about Billy Graham, past, present, or future, this particular sermon hit the spot. This sermon is ultimately about picking up one's cross, denying self, and shows how the cross finds application in one's devotional life, and call to world evangelization.

For those of you who don't care to see this sermon featured: Let's not pick out gnats and swallow camels.

2010/3/10 23:43Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy