Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : I was wrong

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
RobertW

Independence, Missouri

I was wrong

As I look back at the last year and my introduction to sermonindex and it's forums I am grieved at how defensive I was earlier on of some sincerely held beliefs that I felt were beyond question. Since that time I have come to a greater understanding of the issues and feel more open to other viewpoints that could be more accurate.

Bro. Ron Bailey (philologos) was the primary fielder of my 'guns blazing' approach and arrival. We debated various topics that are very passionate in their nature and I must admit I was WRONG in my perception of this dear brother and bible scholar. My zeal for my beliefs (I believed with all sincerity was right) was sincere, but misdirected. It even lacked charity, and sincerity without charity is SIN.

Listening to his messages and reading his writings has become a wealth of help for me. My past comments were quite public and pointed; so too must now be my admission.

If nothing else I am learning to be swift to hear and 'slower' to speak. Maybe someone will read this and back off from the temptation to post now and ask questions later like I have done.

God Bless,

2004/10/11 14:43Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re: I was wrong

Quote:
If nothing else I am learning to be swift to hear and 'slower' to speak. Maybe someone will read this and back off from the temptation to post now and ask questions later like I have done.

Amen brother its awesome to see your humbleness in posting this and my prayer is that we are all changed by these resources and discussion on SI or its all a waste. To be more like Jesus in all we do! I have to admit that disussing things with brother Ron and others has helped me to understand I dont know it all, and if I appear when I post that I do know it all its really not true.

"The more I read the less I know." -Leonard Ravenhill

I have some things I believe that the Lord has shown me to be true and I am quite zealous about these things but there is the majority in which I have not been revealed the truth of it as a surety and I pray I can also as you brother Robert stay humble and teachable under God. Lord have mercy on us all your body and allow us to be molded into the perfect man you would have us.

2004/10/11 14:49Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Quote:
try hard to be reconciled to him on the way, or he may drag you off to the judge,

I am an acquired taste! ;-) and some will never acquire it or wish to. ;-) I think we can learn much more together than separately, and ...in the light of your sign-off I never regarded you as owing me a single penny! Much love to you.

2004/10/11 14:51Profile
RobertW

Independence, Missouri

Re:

Quote:
Much love to you.

These words bring tears to my eyes. What can I say? The feelings of love and appreciation for God and his people leaps within my heart. I have met some great friends here. What a joy to meet Bro Greg and Josh (oarsman). I hope to meet all of you in time.

God speed always brother Ron.

2004/10/11 15:06Profile
hredii

Fresno CA

Wow! Thank you so much for posting this. I do not know you Robert or your discussions with Ron B. Psalms 51:17 A Broken and a contrite heart- These, O God, You will not despise. I believe that it delightes the very heart of God. God has been teaching me of my lack of love for others, and how I put stumbling blocks out to those weak in faith. He is teaching me tremendously! I have been seeking Holiness, but Holiness is to be separate from sin and one with God. Love is the fulfillment of the law. So I have come to know that if I am not walking in love then I am not walking in Holiness.

Your post reminds me of a discussion two men at my church had a month ago. Two men totally in love with God discussing doctrine, but stumbling at the place where they were not loving each other wholeheartedly. Saturday after prayer I made a comment about it with my friend.

1Cor 8:1 Knowledge puffs up, but love edifies.
To discuss a doctrine without walking in the doctrine of love is foolishness.

I thank you again for posting this. It is encouraging to me.

All of the members here at SI are very dear to my heart

2004/10/11 15:09Profile
Yodi

Escondido, California

Quote:

I am learning this as well, to hold my tongue. This forum is a good place to practice that.

I feel your brokeness as well, after a weekend of focusing too much on knowledge, and then having a good discussion with 2 pastors this morning before our staff prayer about debatable doctrines and division in the body of Christ. I need to start thinking more than I act, and then act only when I love.

God will help us. He will be faithful to complete the work He started. Like Greg encouraged under a similar topic, it's not an overnight process. These things all take time.

2004/10/11 15:28Profile
Rahman

Re:

Bro. Ron you wrote;

Quote;
"I am an acquired taste! and some will never acquire it or wish to".

Truer words were never spoken about you ... and me ... i know folk who literally gag when they see me ... '0)

i may not agree with a lot of the things you post, but as my brother in Christ i do love you, and i must admit that i've learned some doctrines from you that i never even knew existed before ... So i also agree with your statement ...

Quote;
"I think we can learn much more together than separately" ...

That i have ... So much love to you brother Ron, and to all you joint heirs in Christ on SI ...
i'm looking forward to spending eternity with you all!

Bro R

2004/10/11 15:47Profile
carly49

Ontario

Re:wrong

It is certainly good to admit that you were wrong but I also think these forums are where we are to voice our opinions, then listen, learn, then make our choice whether we apply it to our lives or not.

2004/10/11 15:48Profile

Re:

Quote:
All of the members here at SI are very dear to my heart

I know i must be carefull how much time i spend on SI, im at home with my two children & my husband is my only support with them as i have no family here (my parents just moved to Cyprus) and my in laws are always away as they are missionaries. I have one christian friend from church and she is my only source of fellowship, I have no other christian friends. I only see the brothers and sisters at church on a sunday and they are far older than i and live a long way off. We are a very small church. I have been struggling a lot with being on my own and this has led me to seek the Lord more intimately. It's words of encouragement like the ones quoted above from fellow sisters and brothers that give me that extra lift i need and it really touches me to know there are other christians out there that do care even though we may never meet here in this life.
This is why i say i have to be carefull at how much time i spend on here, although it can only be for a few minutes at a time due to the little ones, and i always get my time with the Lord before i log on!
Never before have i been so encouraged as a christian or edified, This site is a blessing indeed. :-)

2004/10/11 16:22
Spitfire

Re:

Hey you guys! This thread is great. God is also dealing with me about really loving others with his love. He did say, after all, that this would be our mark of identification. I was writing to a friend today and had, sort of, a revelation. What is the opposite of evil? Love. If we love according to ICor. 13, we will do only good. God bless all of you. I'm with you, Geraldine. This fellowship has filled a void in my daily life. Love you all! Dian.

2004/10/11 20:48Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy