Image Map
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Overcome Distractions

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
tjservant

Indiana USA

Overcome Distractions

Overcome Distractions - A.W. Tozer

But you, when you pray, go into your room, and when you have shut your door, pray to your Father who is in the secret place; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you openly. --Matthew 6:6

Among the enemies to devotion none is so harmful as distractions. Whatever excites the curiosity, scatters the thoughts, disquiets the heart, absorbs the interests or shifts our life focus from the kingdom of God within us to the world around us--that is a distraction; and the world is full of them. Our science-based civilization has given us many benefits but it has multiplied our distractions and so taken away far more than it has given....

The remedy for distractions is the same now as it was in earlier and simpler times, viz., prayer, meditation and the cultivation of the inner life. The psalmist said "Be still, and know," and Christ told us to enter into our closet, shut the door and pray unto the Father. It still works....

Distractions must be conquered or they will conquer us. So let us cultivate simplicity; let us want fewer things; let us walk in the Spirit; let us fill our minds with the Word of God and our hearts with praise. In that way we can live in peace even in such a distraught world as this. "Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you."

2010/3/3 21:54Profile
TaylorOtwell

Arkansas

Re: Overcome Distractions

Good passage. Amen!

2010/3/3 22:32Profile
JS

Behind a Computer Desk

I was listening to Denny Kenaston on "The Approaching Wave of Persecution," and he said something about all the distractions. "There are so many things that we have. They aren't all wicked, but the devil laughs as we waste our time on them! He laughs for all the hours we could have spent learning our bibles."

Many Christians get to be "ADD" spiritually, and it's keeping them from knowing God better. This passage is sobering to me.

2010/3/3 23:13Profile
Veronica226

Montana

Ouch! Convicting passage! Not necessarily what I wanted to hear, but definitely what I needed to hear!
I have found "distractions" being a big issue this week. Especially the computer and internet (this site even, unfortunately). Thank you for this. It was the kick in the pants I needed to get up and do something about these distractions. Namely, set limits while I'm on the computer!
Thank you for sharing!!

In Christ,
Veronica

2010/3/4 0:27Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy