SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Scolding Jesus

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
IWantAnguish

Scolding Jesus

If we had been present with the disciples when Christ cleansed the temple, how many of us would have taken Christ aside and told Him that He did not act Christ-like?

The question arises due to an observation in relation to lack of church discipline / righteous indignation in 'church.'

2010/3/2 16:30Profile
wind_blows

Re: Scolding Jesus

Hey

Not sure how your question fits in relation to church discipline/ righteous indignation in the church? Actually I don't know that any of the disciples would have taken Jesus aside and scolded Him for what He did in the temple. Scolding is a term used To reprimand or criticize harshly and usually angrily. Not sure if there are examples of the disciples ever doing that with Jesus. Have to look that up.

in Him
Ellie

2010/3/2 17:59Profile
hoohoou

Texas

Re: Scolding Jesus

Peter did just before Jesus was arrested and Jesus rebuked him strongly. The whole "get thee behind me Satan" exchange. It's an interesting question and in all honesty a year ago I would have certainly questioned the wisdom of the move. Now I might get my hands a little dirty and get scolded myself.

There is no such thing as church discipline that I've ever seen. It's something I've been thinking about lately. Most churches are too preoccupied with numbers and afraid someone would leave to do it. We've lost our backbone as a Christian people. All things must be done in love, but sometimes love is very firm.

2010/3/2 21:11Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Quote:
There is no such thing as church discipline that I've ever seen.

What is your perception of church discipline? I have seen it - it might not be what you would call church discipline. So, mind explaining the above comment?

ginnyrose

2010/3/2 23:23Profile
wind_blows

Re:

I have seen church discipline and I can tell you when its done in love it works:)

in Him
Ellie

2010/3/2 23:38Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Well... being that the Pharisees questioned Jesus about his activity in the temple that day, perhaps the disciples felt Jesus gave them a good enough answer and didn't need to say anything else :-)

2010/3/2 23:44Profile
mguldner

Kansas

Re:

About 3 months ago I would have questioned and strongly scolded Christ for cleansing the Temple. Be that my old form was a Pharisee, but now in the light of Christ I would probably have flipped a couple of tables myself and to look at this in a modern since would Jesus disapprove of our fundraisers etc in the church? No where do I see in scripture raffling tickets being sold but this is something to further ponder.

2010/3/3 1:28Profile
hoohoou

Texas

Re:

Quote:
There is no such thing as church discipline that I've ever seen.

I only mean that I have not ever seen it done in the manner prescribed in the Bible, nor for the reasons in the Bible. The Bible says that if someone is in sin one should go to him, then two and so on until this person is removed from the fellowship. All this is done to bring the brother or sister back into right fellowship with God. My experience is that this is never done. I've seen where people were asked to leave but these were disruptive people and fallen pastoral staff. It is typically done to preserve the sanctity of the service and not so that the offending person know the Lord better.

This is my experience only and I hope that one day I will be a part of a new convenant church that practices each and every aspect of the Word.

2010/3/3 6:49Profile
mguldner

Kansas

Re:

Yet another inconsistancy found in the Churches of America that attest to believe the bible but fail to practice their belief.

2010/3/3 7:27Profile
wind_blows

Re:

In this church there was a situation that came up with a family. They had been married for a few years and they had three children. Some of the other brothers in the fellowship noticed that the husband seemed to be struggling with a lot of self living and neglect of his wife and children so they approached him. He was given time to pray and seek God on what they shared but when he still refused to repent they brought other brothers to him and eventually he was brought before the entire church. He refused to repent, became angry and bitter and left his wife and child. No one had contact with him for several weeks, but then he called his wife and then the other brothers in the fellowship. God had done such a work in him that he repented, he began meeting with the brothers again, for prayer and council and after time the entire family was reunited. This brother is now a testimony that church discipline handled in love can and does work. He will be the first to tell you that he was living in sin and with out the help of those around him it probably would have continued on and cost him his marriage permanently.

If we as the church would walk in faith and obey the commands of the Lord to walk with one another daily, caring for each other things would be very different from what you see now in most churches.

in Him
Ellie

2010/3/3 11:34Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy