SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Authentic Biblical Christianity.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : Why Do People Lie?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
carly49

Ontario

Why Do People Lie?

Why do people Lie? Sometimes I lie or tell half truths because of fear for myself and what will happen to me or because I dont want to hurt another person, knowing if I tell the truth, it would hurt, and that would not be a good thing. A good lie is when you have a pleasant surprise in store like a birthday party and you dont want that person to know.

Now when you tell one lie, there are times when you have to tell another lie to cover up the first one and so on. Things can fester and get out of hand.

Where do you stand on this? if you care to comment.

2004/10/9 19:38Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re: Why Do People Lie?

From ye old Websters 1828 Dictionary:

[b]Lie[/b]
LIE, water impregnated with alkaline salt, is written lye, to distinguish it from lie, a falsehood.

LIE, n.

1. A criminal falsehood; [b]a falsehood uttered for the purpose of deception[/b]; an intentional violation of truth. [b]Fiction, or a false statement or representation, not intended to deceive[/b], mislead or injure, as in fables, parables and the like, [u]is not a lie[/u].

[b]It is willful deceit that makes a lie.[/b] A man may act a lie, as by pointing his finger in a wrong direction, when a traveler inquires of him his road.

2. A fiction; in a ludicrous sense.

3. False doctrine. 1 John 2.

4. An idolatrous picture of God, or a false god. Rom 1.

5. That which deceives and disappoints confidence.

Micah 1.

To give the lie, to charge with falsehood. A man's actions may give the lie to his words.

LIE, v.i.

1. To utter falsehood with an intention to deceive, or with an immoral design.

Thou hast not lied to men, but to God. Acts 5.

2. To exhibit a false representation; to say or do that which deceives another, when he has a right to know the truth, or when morality requires a just representation.

LIE, v.i. pret. lay; pp. lain, [lien, obs.] [The Gr. word usually signifies to speak, which is to utter or throw out sounds. Hence to lie down is to throw one's self down, and probably lie and lay are of one family, as are jacio and jacceo, in Latin.]

1. To be in a horizontal position, or nearly so, and to rest on any thing lengthwise, and not on the end. Thus a person lies on a bed, and a fallen tree on the ground. A cask stands on its end, but lies on its side.

2. To rest in an inclining posture; to lean; as, to lie on or against a column.

3. To rest; to press on.

4. To be reposited in the grave.

All the kings of the earth, even all of them, lie in glory.

Isa 14.

5. To rest on a bed or couch; to be prostrate; as, to lie sick.

My little daughter lieth at the point of death. Mark 5.

6. To be situated. New Haven lies in the forty second degree of north latitude. Ireland lies west of England.

Envy lies between beings equal in nature, though unequal in circumstances.

7. To be; to rest; to abide; to remain; often followed by some word denoting a particular condition; as, to lie waste; to lie fallow; to lie open; to lie hid; to lie pining or grieving; to lie under one's displeasure; to lie at the mercy of a creditor, or at the mercy of the waves.

8. To consist.

He that thinks that diversion may not lie in hard labor, forgets the early rising of the huntsman.

9. To be sustainable in law; to be capable of being maintained. An action lies against the tenant for waste.

An appeal lies in this case.

To lie at, to tease or importune. [Little used.]

To lie at the heart, to be fixed as an object of affection or anxious desire.

1. To lie by, to be reposited, or remaining with. He has the manuscript lying by him.

2. To rest; to intermit labor. We lay by during the heat of the day.

To lie in the way, to be an obstacle or impediment. Remove the objections that lie in the way of an amicable adjustment.

To lie hard or heavy, to press; to oppress; to burden.

To lie on hand, to be or remain in possession; to remain unsold or undisposed of.

Great quantities of wine lie on hand, or have lain long on hand.

To lie on the hands, to remain unoccupied or unemployed; to be tedious. Men are sometimes at a loss to know how to employ the time that lies on their hands.

To lie on the head, to be imputed.

What he gets more of her than sharp words, let it lie on my head.

To lie in wait, to wait for in concealment; to lie in ambush; to watch for an opportunity to attack or seize.

To lie in one, to be in the power of; to belong to.

As much as lieth in you, live peaceably with all men.

Rom 41.

To lie down, to lay the body on the ground or other level place; also, to go to rest.

To lie in, to be in childbed; to bring forth young.

To lie under, to be subject to; to suffer; to be oppressed by.

To lie on or upon, to be a matter of obligation or duty. It lies on the plaintiff to maintain his action.

1. To lie with, to lodge or sleep with; also, to have carnal knowledge of.

2. To belong to. It lies with you to make amends.

To lie over, to remain unpaid, after the time when payment is due; as a note in bank.

To lie to, to be stationary, as a ship.

2004/10/9 20:13Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

I know that doesn't answer the "why" question, but figured it might be good to get the definitions clarified.

2004/10/9 20:26Profile
laholmes

Re:

Why? To protect themselves. To hurt others. But mainly just because we are human. Why did Adam and Eve hide(lie) in the garden? To protect themselves. Jesus did not lie, although in many instances it would seem to our eyes that a little white lie would have saved him from a lot of persecution. He spoke the truth no matter what the cost.

A lie is the direct oppisite of Christ. He is the Truth, and Satan is the father of lies. Why do people lie? Because often times they do not fill themselves with the Truth of Christ.

BTW, it is good to know someone else who uses the 1828. It is as reliable as it gets. (outside of the Bible)

2004/10/9 21:16Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

Quote:
BTW, it is good to know someone else who uses the 1828. It is as reliable as it gets. (outside of the Bible)

Hehe, well that's mutal, with practically every word in the language up for re-construction anymore...

2004/10/9 21:23Profile
carly49

Ontario

Re: Why Do People Lie?

I lived a lie for many years saying and believing that I was one year older than I really was. Even my driver's licence stated the wrong age! I didn't eben believe my Mom on the year she said I was born. I changed it when I was 12 years old. Only my birth certificate never changed! I changed it because of my friends who were 1 year older and they got treated better than me..I always felt like the black sheep! I wanted to belong like the rest of them. Only a few years ago when I became a Christian, and during the cleaning up process by the Lord, I was convicted to stop living this lie! So, I asked the Lord to come with me to the places I had to tell my right age. He did and in the end, I felt a big relief! There were other lies like that that I lived and got cleaned up. Now I am who I am and all my credentials to verify it! However, there is still one lie that I told recently because I am scared of losing some of my income which being stuck now cant afford to lose anything. But this is really bothering me. Living in fear is wrong! But that is the way it is. Any comment on what I should do?

By the way, now I wouldn't mind being younger!!! :-)

2004/10/9 23:30Profile
rocklife

usa

Re:

Dear Carly, seek God and His counsel. He knows your situation and will guide you into righteousness as you do that. I don't know what your situation is, but lying is wrong, I am sure you know that. Ask God for the solution to your dilemma, He will help as you obey Him. His favor is the most important, don't want to lose that.

2004/10/10 2:52Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy