SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Is a christian always suppose to say yes?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
wind_blows

Is a christian always suppose to say yes?

Hi

As Christians, should our answer always be yes?
If we are asked for help from another believer or from someone who is not saved should we always answer yes to their request? I am not speaking about doing anything that would go against Gods word, I am asking about when others ask you to do things, is there ever a time when it is alright to say no. How does a christian know if they are just being used or taken advantage of? Is it possible to say yes to often, to give help to someone who is always asking?

It was shared with me that there are times we need to step back from a person who is asking for help and let the Holy Spirit lead us in how we respond. Sometimes we actually steal away an opportunity the Lord has for them to learn something by always doing for them and helping? In our desire to want to care for others we may actually not be demonstrating love for them by always responding with a yes. Does this sound right to anyone else?

Thanks guys
love in Him
ebeth

2010/2/12 11:30Profile
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re: Is a christian always suppose to say yes?

The Lord Jesus said no when they asked him to come and do "good" when Lazarus was sick, because he listened to his Fathers will, some time later the Father said "go" and he went, i am sure when he said no, many looked at him with surprise and questioning... maybe even some pherhaps as selfish not going the "extra" mile to help his friend when he helped so many others? or maybe people had similar thoughts...

anyhow, its ok to say no... whatever is not of faith is sin, if we are helping people not in faith and saying yes more out of a sense of "guilt" or something else then faith it is sin.

So i think in all our yes, helping, we need as with everything walk in the spirit. And i am convinced sometimes he will lead us to say no, sometimes even without giving a specific reason, other times he may tell us yes when every fiber of our flesh is screaming no.

We need wisdom and leading from the spirit where we say our "yes" , if we do it foolishly we will waste our time helping out where God never intended us to helping and working.

Pray and he will show us all we need to know.

2010/2/12 12:15Profile
IWantAnguish

VCU @ Richmond, VA

Re:

Text book reply...

Walk in the Spirit, according to the will of the Father, grounded in the Word of God, for the glory of Christ.

Practical reply...

Not sure. Confess your lack of knowledge and wisdom in every situation, and ask that God would work good through any foolish decision that you make, through His sovereign grace.

2010/2/12 12:25Profile
Areadymind

Pacific Ocean

Let your yes be yes, and let your no be no...

2010/2/12 13:04Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Hi wind_blows...

I don't know if you are referring to the passage within the Sermon on the Mount (or plain) in which Jesus instructed us to "give to everyone who asks" (Matthew 5:42 and Luke 6:30). To some, these passages (and the passages that surround them) seem to indicate that we are bound to a new written law that was spoken by Jesus. In such cases, these words become absolute commands. If a person were to attack you or your family, you would not resist. If a person asked for you clothes, you would give it to them. If a person asked for your house and all of your possessions, you would give it to them...simply because they asked.

However, there are some believers who look at these words as an elucidation of the greater and only commands of the Law of the Spirit that state, "[i]Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind[/i]" and "[i]Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself[/i]" (Matthew 22:36-39). Jesus stated that these two simple commandments "hang all the law and the prophets" (Matthew 22:40).

There are some other commands that were spoken by Jesus in the Sermon on the Mount that are often difficult to digest. In regard to lust and adultery, Jesus told people to "pluck" out their eye and cut off their hand and throw them away if they caused one to sin (Matthew 5:27-30). I suppose that the escape clause is that an eye or hand doesn't really cause sin...because lust and adultery are matters of the heart and not of the eye or hand. In fact, Paul wrote against the notion of dividing off parts of the body in writing about the Church being the Body of Jesus Christ (I Corinthians 12:14-26).

One might actually question whether or not there are other precepts from Scripture that supersede others. For instance, the New Testament says that a man is supposed to take care of the needs of his family (both immediate family and extended family), then he is "worse than an infidel" (I Timothy 5:8). This preeminence of family (or the Church) is echoed elsewhere in which we are told to do good to all men but "ESPECIALLY unto them who are of the household of faith" (Galatians 6:10). It would seem that the command to take care of the needs of the family supersede any of the demands or requests from outsiders.

In other words, there are some things that you cannot give away because they are not really yours to give away. No good father or mother would ever consider "giving their daughter away" in marriage to a wicked person simply because he "asked." We are not robots who are bound to obey the evil whims of this present world. Rather, God gives us wisdom and discernment about such things. When we understand the "whole counsel of God," we realize that God is first and family is second. Paul stated that those men who are married "careth for the things that are of the world" and "how he may please his wife" (I Corinthians 7:32-33). It may seem "unspiritual" to concern ourselves with the things of this world -- but it is the command of God to take care of our families.

As a result, if a person asks for things that are meant to be used for the care of your family, I do NOT believe that you should give it. In addition, I think that you should use wisdom when you are asked for things that might enable a person into sin. I heard a story once about a man who was asked for money by a homeless man. Thinking that he was doing work for God, this man gave the homeless guy about ten dollars. The homeless guy immediately turned around and walked a few feet over to another person and purchased some sort of baggy filled with drugs. I'm not sure that the poor in the Scriptures were using their money for such deviant and sinful behavior. In fact, I think that Jesus set a pretty good example by feeding and clothing such individuals rather than giving them money.

More than anything, I would encourage you to pray before you give to those who ask (especially in regard to money). Yes, if you have the means to give (and it will not hurt your ability to provide for the needs of your family), it is good to give. I pray that you (and all of us) would have the discernment and wisdom on how to handle such things.

2010/2/12 13:15Profile
Richard365

USA

I heard this quote once:

"Fill the tank of your car with love, but always allow Wisdom to be in the drivers seat."

Allow the Holy Spirit to move you...if a need is put upon you're heart, then the Lord will give you what is needed to met that need.

2010/2/12 14:57Profile
Santana

Re:

Learn to say 'No'; it will be of more use to you than to be able to read Latin.
- Charles H. Spurgeon

2010/2/12 16:03Profile
wind_blows

Re:

Hey
Thanks for the replies. I was not so much speaking about money but more to do with my time. There have been times when I really struggle with saying no especially if the person asking for help or a favor is not saved. There is one person who is often asking for help(with their children, running errands, chores around the house) that is not saved, I have spent time sharing truth with them so I feel like I should never say no to them? I feel guilty if I do because I think does saying no reflect badly of a Christian?

I had never thought about my saying yes and doing all these things whenever they ask might be interfering in what God truly has for them...

Thanks again. One last question, how do you say no to someone if you feel the Lord leading you to? Especially if they are not a christian?

with love in Him
ebeth

2010/2/12 16:59Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Quote:
One last question, how do you say no to someone if you feel the Lord leading you to? Especially if they are not a christian?

Just be honest and don't make any excuses for saying 'no'. You may look at them in the eye and say something like this, "I would love to but I can't". Smile when you say it...

This is for starters. Likely when you get right down to it, the Holy Spirit could lead you to saying else. But whatever you do, do not feel obligated to explain your reason for saying 'no' and do not lie about it!

Blessings,
ginnyrose

2010/2/12 20:21Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re:

Quote:
Thanks for the replies. I was not so much speaking about money but more to do with my time. There have been times when I really struggle with saying no especially if the person asking for help or a favor is not saved. There is one person who is often asking for help(with their children, running errands, chores around the house) that is not saved, I have spent time sharing truth with them so I feel like I should never say no to them? I feel guilty if I do because I think does saying no reflect badly of a Christian?

We are to redeem the time. This means that we need to guard it and not sell it too cheaply. There will always be "good" things that can eat up your time and prevent you from getting to the "God" things that you are supposed to be doing. I don't believe saying no reflects badly on a Christian. There are times you must.

2010/2/12 20:37Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy