Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
Goldminer

Alabama

Blaspheming the Holy Spirit

Yesterday I was reading the word and came across this verse:

Quote:
Mar 3:22 And the scribes which came down from Jerusalem said, He hath Beelzebub, and by the prince of the devils casteth he out devils.

Quote:
Mar 3:28 ¶ Verily I say unto you, All sins shall be forgiven unto the sons of men, and blasphemies wherewith soever they shall blaspheme:

Quote:
Mar 3:29 But he that shall blaspheme against the Holy Ghost hath never forgiveness, but is in danger of eternal damnation:

Quote:
Mar 3:30 Because they said, He hath an unclean spirit.

I have heard a number of folks over the years question whether they had blasphemed the Holy Spirit. I saw in these versed that Jesus answered this clearly through the word. Some have been uncertain of the meaning. It is quite clear here.

Saying someone operating by the Spirit of God is operating by the spirit of the devil is what this means. This should make us very careful with our judgements and words.

2010/2/11 10:34Profile
Ceri

Notts. England.

Re: Blaspheming the Holy Spirit

Absolutely, I too have heard people scared of blaspheming the Holy Spirit. Of course we have to be careful in judging folk, but we still have to judge to see if they are true, 'for even Satan himself can disguise himself as an angel of light, so how much more his followers'.
This is why God gives us guidelines to discerning - the fruit.
Watch the fruit - the fruit of their lives, the fruit of their lips, the fruit of their behaviour - you'll soon have no problems in discerning who people really belong to!

2010/2/11 10:47Profile

I used to worry about that a lot. Here's my conclusion.

Spending your whole life wondering if you committed the unpardonable sin and getting so wrapped up in what will become of you that you don't spend your life loving God and your neighbor will send you to hell.

If you think it's too late for you, what can you possibly do? Just love God and your neighbor and leave the decision in his hands. God has more love for you than you can imagine. If there is any way to pardon someone who loves him, he will find it. Spending all your time selfishly worrying about "will I be punished or not?" won't save you. Do you think you will anxiously find some way for you to be forgiven that God has not thought of? Will you only spend your life for him on the condition that he will pardon you? Isn't that simply selfishness and sin? Is God only worthy of your love if things turn out good for you? Isn't God doing everything he possibly can to save you? Are you more concerned with your salvation than he is?

2010/2/11 11:56
Logic

If you are concerned that you have Blasphemed the Holy Spirit, you haven't.

Fact is that if you have, you wouldn't care of the consequences.

Therefore, if your worried about it, take comfort in that "worry", for it is your answer.

2010/2/11 12:12Profile
bible4life

Locport, Illinois

You know your right i think i actually i believe in mark wrote in my Bible that that was the answer to the question everyone is wondering about. But we must watch as christians of telling people that because we spoke against the annointed ones like some of the tbn people that we are blaspheming the holy spirit. I mean for me i truly don't know but i feel as if the Lord revealed to me that the holy spirit laughter where they can't stop laughing is not from God and some other things, am i wrong to say that it is not from God it sometimes makes me watch what i say but how far do we take it. I think tongues are very possible according to scripture and healings, but the dancing in the spirit i am very unsure of with the holy laughter. I feel as if the Lord told me it was not from him.

2010/2/11 13:35Profile
Areadymind

Pacific Ocean

Re:

We are told in 1John to "Test the Spirits"

So, yes, Bible4life...we are to do that. It always boils down to comparing "Experience" to scripture. I have said many times that scripture verifies our experiences, our experiences do not verify scripture. If the latter were true, we would have no capacity for discernment. The word is what verifies if something is from God or not. And when Jesus was under scrutiny for casting a demon out of someone, we could use the word revealed to verify even Jesus action and experience. In the Lord's case, what he did was both loving, and pushing someone closer to God, through bearing their burden. Sin was vanquished, and a person was set free. What were the scribes doing? They were saying that Jesus did something kingdom oriented by the power of the Devil...now that does not line up with the scriptures, when we "Test the Spirits?"

The scribes had crossed a line where they seemed to be hanging precariously over a chasm of judgment. They were judging the motives and power of God on earth. Their criticism was diabolical because their conclusion in no way lined up with the already known character of Christ. We cannot see Jesus casting out the Demon in just a bubble because they knew full well who Jesus was and were completely familiar with his character at that point. According to Mathew's gospel, this speech took place after the sermon on the mount and John's disciples asking Jesus if he was the Messiah or not, so he certainly had some notoriety at this point.

I suspect the scribes here were assassinating character intentionally just like in the way that they managed to manufacture allegations against Christ that he would tear down the temple and rebuild it in three days. They had not understood his words, swallowed a camel and strained a gnat. Technically it was true that Jesus had said that, but they purposely took his statement out of context in order to indict him.

Your word of Caution however Bible4life is noted well. I think some people's tendency to throw judgment around all the time on others actions can also be indicative of enormous pride and sin in their own heart. A willingness to constantly chide and deride others, even if they are absolutely wrong, or even if they are total heretics, or wackjobs, whatever you want to call them, indicate to me that there is sin in the judges own heart. We cover for our lack of proximity to the heart of God by casting stones readily and cocksure at deceived people. I am not saying we are to not use discernment, nor contend for the faith, nor use correct judgment, nor to protect the sheep from wolves. I just find it amazing how quick people are to use "Discernment." Where it has not a scintilla of immediate impact upon themselves or on anyone they know. It is very easy to live in a bubble in Mom's basement lobbing doctrine bombs at someone who lives 800 miles away from you while stuffing your face-cave with Ho' Ho's and Hot Pockets.

2010/2/11 14:37Profile
bible4life

Locport, Illinois

Re:

thanks brother, i don't want to ever blaspheme the holy spirit. I really would like to know how i can discern better. What is your opinion on discerning many of the gifts of the spirits that many speak of today like prophesy, tongues, miracle healings, laughter, and the spirit dancing exclaimed by some today, how can i discern and what does the word say.

2010/2/11 18:47Profile

I have understood the blaspheming of the holy Spirit as found in Hebrews 6:6 If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame.

It's a forsaking of the grace of God by faith which saved them and returning to another system of salvation that leads to death.

2 Timothy 4:10 For Demas hath forsaken me, having loved this present world, and is departed unto Thessalonica; Crescens to Galatia, Titus unto Dalmatia.

2 Peter 2:15 Which have forsaken the right way, and are gone astray, following the way of Balaam the son of Bosor, who loved the wages of unrighteousness;

Pretty scary stuff.

However, for those of us who fear God, the blaspheming of the holy Spirit is far from being committed. You can take that to the bank.

2010/2/11 22:03
Areadymind

Pacific Ocean

Re:

I am reading a book right now Bible4life by Art Katz called "The Anatomy of Deception." Art is probably one of the most unique individuals to grace the body of Christ as a teacher in the last few decades. He lived a very interesting life in ministry and actually rubbed elbows, it seems, with a lot of the high profile charismatics of the 70's 80's and so on. Having been pretty involved with the charismatic movement for a few years of his life he saw what a sham a lot of it was. Art had a very interesting way of whittling away at the issue you are asking about, and is far better at the analysis of the problem as you are asking, than I would be.

I have a hard time speaking directly about a lot of those types of issues as I have never really been around them. I can say irrevocably that "holy laughter," "Spirit dancing," and a lot of those types of things are not even gifts or biblical manifestations of the Spirit as is revealed in the Word. However, prior to Jesus on the scene, I cannot recall (though I could be wrong) of anything in the old testament indicating anything to do with demon possession. So Christ himself manifested the power of God in such a way as to radically shock even the people of his day. I do know that there were Jewish sages that specialized in demon exorcism, but the practice was highly mystical and very suspect. The issue always before us is...is sin being dealt with, and are people being restored to fellowship from a sinful stance...toward a deep intimate walk with Christ, as God intended from the very beginning of scripture? And is it a walk in the "cool of the day?" Implying that there is a simplicity, and a peaceableness to that walk, as one of fellowship that one would have with a friend or family member.

You are actually asking a huge question to which I could type more pages than I deserve to be paid attn to. But I will say that I think most of these manifestations are upside down.

What I mean by that is that Jesus said he was going to send the Comforter into the world to convict it of 1.) Sin 2.) Righteousness 3.) Judgment. He did not say that he was going to send the Comforter/Spirit into the world to heal the deaf, blind, leprous, raise the dead, heal the sick, or any of those things. We see in the book of Acts that they do happen quite frequently as manifestations of the power of God. But I guarantee you one thing. These miraculous signs were only under-girding, or supporting a church that was walking DYNAMICALLY in the fundamental purpose of the Spirit of God. Sin, Righteousness, and the Judgment of God were following, and preceding the Apostles wherever they went. Whatever they were doing they were explosive in their responsiveness to these convictions. I believe, that most people today, (And I could be wrong) seek the miraculous and the manifestation apart from the fundamental convictions of the Spirit...and that is what a lieing sign or wonder is...a sign that does not bring these issues to bear with full heavenly force.

So when I say they are upside down, that is what I mean, signs without dealing with sin, raucousness without leading toward righteousness, vain jangling without the judgments of God being brought to the fore...

You can get Art's Book [url=http://artkatzministries.org/online_bookstore/]here[/url] if you are interested. Like I said, he had far more direct experience to answer your questions, and gets to the core issue of the questions you ask. He goes in depth asking the questions about what the nature and purpose of religious deception is, and deals quite a few death blows to a lot of the stuff you are talking about. But because of the fact that he was so involved with all that kind of stuff he is able to speak with an air of authority that a lot of people are only able to talk about kind of from a theoretical standpoint.

Here is one of the great quotes from the book to give you a sense of his tenor.

"We are at such a dangerous point that some consider the Christian entertainment industry as the "sixth" of the five-fold ministries. We need to understand what entertainment is. It is sensationalism; it fills the void of boredom and emptiness; it is a pleasing diversion from the demanding things that are real and actual, and which deserve our attention. The Church is called by God to be the "pillar and support of truth." If we are escapists, if we feel a need to be diverted, or if we cannot take the realities that constitute our life and our relationship together in this present world, to whom then would we turn? Who is to help us face those realities and to bring God's redemptive answer? Amuse means to negate thinking and contemplation. In fact, the original meaning of the word is to divert the attention in order to deceive. On the other hand, to muse is to reflect and to contemplate."

I hope this helps a bit, if not, sorry. I am far from a scholar or experienced. Read the word, pray. Ask God for wisdom, don't hedge your bets when he gives it to you, and compare all experience to the word of God. Lest we find ourselves more enamored with Jannes and Jambres than we are with God as He is.

-Jeremiah

2010/2/12 0:39Profile
bible4life

Locport, Illinois

Re:

brother i think you hit it right on the head how it is all upside down, and how righteousness, judgement all have to come. Thanks.

2010/2/12 4:40Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy