Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : What KJV is best for study

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
narrowpath

Germany NRW

What KJV is best for study

Hello,

Can someone here help me to find a good, hard wearing, leather bound King James Bible with plenty of references, concordances, maps, synopsis, timeline, etc. and where I can buy it online in the UK?

Thanks in advance.

2010/2/11 10:26Profile
Goldminer

Alabama

Re: What KJV is best for study

My all time favorite KJV study bible is a Thompson Chain Reference. I have had one for over 30 years and still use it. Here is the link for it online:

[url=http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/easy_find?Ntk=keywords&Ntt=Thompson+chain+KJV&action=Search&N=0&Ne=0&event=ESRCN&nav_search=1&cms=1&Go.x=14&Go.y=9]Christian Book Distributors[/url]

2010/2/11 10:42Profile

Hi bro,

I have an old Eyre & Spottiswoode, which Has a very clear print for reading, has great chain references in a centre column, and good alternative translations of occasional words, a synopsis of each book, maps and timeline information, at the back, and finally, a fairly detailed concordance also. However, that firm of publishers to the Her Majesty the Queen, 'were acquired by Cambridge Press and Cambridge continues to print the Eyre & Spottiswoode Standard Text Edition (no study notes) of the King James Version. This Bible is currently printed under the Cambridge name but the plates originated from Eyre & Spottiswoode.

It should be noted that in 20+ cases Eyre & Spottiswoode changes the "Spirit of God" to "spirit of God".'

[url=http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Do_Eyre_and_Spottiswoode_still_print_a_king_James_study_bible]from this website.[/url]

You might wonder why I'm even mentioning a Bible which is out of print, but it's because it [u]is[/u] good. I'm not sure if 'the plates' refers only to maps, but I hope not.

I would also recommend John Newberry's arrangement, of which one has a 2" wide margin for adding your own notes. Newberry developed a series of hieroglyphics to show more about the original Hebrew emphasis, such as the names of God, clarification of the direction of verbs, and more marginal information about the chosen Hebrew itself, than any other annotated Bible.

I have a big fat 1950s version which I found in James Dickinson's warehouse in Scotland through their online search. You need patience, but they had some other gems at the time which made looking more interesting.

The latest Young's Analytical Concordance contains Strong's numbers. Rather than study notes, I much prefer uninterpreted information, such as Young gives. I just love his lack of comment!

2010/2/11 12:00
JB1968

Ohio USA

The Thompson Chain Reference Bible is by far the best. It has alot of helps, maps,etc. I would suggest going straight to their website itself- www.kirkbride.com. Or try www.allbibles.com. It has free shipping and we were happy with the service.

2010/2/11 12:38Profile
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re:

[url=http://www.bibles-direct.co.uk/products/?c=58]Best bibles in the world[/url] - or so they claim, i got one of their bibles as a christmas gift from my wife, a KJV, and its the best made bible i have ever seen or felt, they are costly, but i will be able to give this one to my children, they will last a lifetime for sure. I enjoy the thought of if the Lord tarries and i live, to be able to give my son my bible filled with notes and little things the Lord showed me during my walk.

2010/2/11 16:43Profile
MityDisciple

Moncton, New-Brunswick Canada

Thompson chain reference is probably the best bible you can get. It's pretty much influence free and therefore lets you dig deep for yourself. It's a really awesome bible..

2010/2/11 17:06Profile
TaylorOtwell

Arkansas

I second hmmhmm's recommendation.

I have had several of the Allan's Bibles and they are amazingly high quality editions. If you can't get one of their KJVs, a Cambridge edition would be the next best option.

The Allan's "Longprimer" edition is probably the best KJV edition in the world that I'm aware of at this time.

With care in Christ,
Taylor

2010/2/11 18:09Profile
MityDisciple

Moncton, New-Brunswick Canada

Re:

Browsed through the allan bible website looks like a higher quality bible as far as how it's made that's for sure. But i'm not sure if this is a study bible like the thompson chain. Both would be an asset i'm sure.

2010/2/11 18:15Profile
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

The Newberry Reference bible is very good, but to put it to full use you will need to learn what all the symbols mean. There are symbols by many of the words to tell you what Greek tense or mode that a particular word is in.

[url=http://alturl.com/i2fb]http://alturl.com/i2fb[/url]

The bible shown on that link has two columns for the text, but you can buy them with only one. It's in paragraph form. Mine is one column/ paragraph form.

2010/2/11 20:15Profile
Mizpah98

Georgia

Thompson Chain is good - not sure where you can buy it in th UK.

2010/2/20 15:03Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy