SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Is the bible to be taken literally?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread

Is the bible to be taken literally?

Luke 9:57
The Cost of Following Jesus

As they were going along the road, someone said to him, "I will follow you wherever you go." And Jesus said to him, "Foxes have holes, and birds of the air have nests, but the Son of Man has nowhere to lay his head." To another he said, "Follow me." But he said, "Lord, let me first go and bury my father." And Jesus said to him, "Leave the dead to bury their own dead. But as for you, go and proclaim the kingdom of God." Yet another said, "I will follow you, Lord, but let me first say farewell to those at my home." Jesus said to him, "No one who puts his hand to the plow and looks back is fit for the kingdom of God."

How is this verse to be interpreted? I'm listening to a lot of Francis Chan's messages and I feel that God wants everything but I rarely see this in churches or what not.
To me everything means EVERYTHING.

What is everything and how do you discern when it's too much? I'm really struggling with how much prayer/bible God wants to partake in? For example, does He want someone to quit his job and read/pray all day and rely on God supernaturally to feed him?

And when is it too little? When are you lukewarm? I'm a man of extremes and lost my job(laid off) but I feel that God is telling me not to look for a job. I feel that God has given me this time to seek Him because I hated my job and I wanted out. This is my wilderness period. My unemployment benefits will end and I'm pretty sure I'm not suppose to go to the field I was in. I might be more fitted for a social injustice ministry of some sort.

To add to this, I went to Onething(IHOP)and got prophesied that I will "bring divine ideas to the corporate environment". They were right, God has given me a gift of good ideas and innovation in business environments. But a pastor prophesied that I will do Jesus's ministry because I have a heart for the poor and the less fortunate.

He does not think my calling is for business. Can God call me to do both?

2010/2/11 3:13
enid

Nottingham, England

Re: Is the bible to be taken literally?

Which verse do you mean? Do you refer to Luke 9v57 which you have quoted?

God gave of His Son, His all. We, as His children, should do the same.

I don't know if you are male or female, married or unmarried, or what your situation is. However, obedience to the word of God is paramount. For it was to the apostles, as seen in Acts 6v4 where they gave themselves to prayer and the ministry of the word.

God bless.

2010/2/11 3:35Profile

Re:

I think the verse sums it up. But I'm talking about the whole all or nothing mentality Jesus displays in the Gospels. He is pretty harsh about all or nothing. How literal is that all or nothing?

I'm 30,male, single, no kids.

Previous work was in busines strategy/business analyst in charge of profit/loss for sectors, a numbers guy with a business side.

No gf at the moment, previous gf's were all not christian or weak christians. I'm new to dating the christian way which is really praying about it and waiting and not letting emotions/hormones control you first. Wanted to get married later like my bosses but since I came back to God, realized that I should think about getting married the way God designed it.

I came back to christ about 4 months ago and was not living an at all christian life in the last 6 years or so.

2010/2/11 3:50

Re:

i recommend on this site paul washer on dating, very informative.

2010/2/11 3:55

Re:

that's what I hear but a friend of mine jokingly says it's dangerous. It might not be something I want to hear. I'm not dating anyone right now so I'm gonna wait a week on that one but I will get to it.

The more pressing issue is that on top of all this. I developed health issues. I developed high blood pressure over the last year and I'm currently on meds. The doc told me that I have to lose the 25lbs I gained over the last 5 years and it should go away. I'm running out of meds and cobra got screwed up because the company I worked for merged with another company.

But I feel that God is telling me to not worry about this. I'm in the wilderness and he is telling me to wait and be still. My vision is getting blurry which is a symptom that I might get diabetes and I might have glaucoma(a rare chance) but still a possibility.

Everything is falling apart and God is telling me to wait and be still, seek me.

and I'm wondering what I should do. I want to look for a job. Go on a major diet. Get health insurance but I feel that God is testing me and He wants to see if I really trust Him.

What do I do?

2010/2/11 4:21
enid

Nottingham, England

Re:

Quote: 'What do I do?'

What you have already said. You said God is telling you to wait and be still and to seek Him.

So, do just that.

No one can tell you what to do. You can also seek advice from godly men who fear God. But even then, it is only advice, what you do is in your hands.

Simply be obedient to God and His word and He will direct you.

God bless.

2010/2/11 5:42Profile
Goldminer

Alabama

This is a very impotant subject. And I believe that it should be taken literally. When He calls we forsake all and follow Him. However he requires different things from difference followers. Take Paul for instance. He preached the gospel and wrote much of the New Testament, but he was still employed as a tent maker. It is an individual thing based on what God speaks to us. And as far as prophecy goes it needs to witness with what God has spoken to you.

I would suggest you read this "The Cost of Discipleship" by Dietrich Bonhoeffer. It is filled with insight into your question. It is one of the best books I have ever read and will surely have some answers for you. Here is a link so you can read it online.

http://www.crossroad.to/Persecution/Bonhoffer.html

2010/2/11 8:55Profile
Goldminer

Alabama

Re:

"The more pressing issue is that on top of all this. I developed health issues. I developed high blood pressure over the last year and I'm currently on meds. The doc told me that I have to lose the 25lbs I gained over the last 5 years and it should go away. I'm running out of meds and cobra got screwed up because the company I worked for merged with another company.

But I feel that God is telling me to not worry about this. I'm in the wilderness and he is telling me to wait and be still. My vision is getting blurry which is a symptom that I might get diabetes and I might have glaucoma(a rare chance) but still a possibility."

I had some of the same issues. I had blurry vision and thought all the same things you said, but finally went to the eye doctor and guess what, I just needed glasses with the correct prescription. It would seem that computers really put stress on the eyes. I was having lights with reflections at night and bluriness so bad I could hardly read, even with my reading glasses. Well with a new set of the right glasses that is all gone. I had been praying about all this and figured God would just heal my eyes, but He has answered my prayer by glasses. I can see great now and no problem with night vision. Hey all my fears about diabetes and glaucoma were just that, fears. He has not given us the spirit of fear, but of love, and of power, and of a sound mind. Since you don't have to worry about feeding anybody else try eating mostly fruits and vegetables and a small amount of lean meat. Get the bad stuff out of your house so you won't be tempted. I can drop weight fast, and real easily, by doing this. Make fruit smoothies. I will tell you this even helps your vision. Carrots really are great for the eyes because of vitamin A.

I will be praying for you brother.

2010/2/11 9:19Profile
Giggles

Re:

Quote:
that's what I hear but a friend of mine jokingly says it's dangerous. It might not be something I want to hear.

Jesus is dangerous.

*Edited

2010/2/11 9:45Profile
Goldminer

Alabama

On further inspection the link I gave you isn't the entire book but this is:

[url=http://www.questia.com/PM.qst?a=o&d=11776095]Bonhoeffers The Cost of Discipleship[/url]

2010/2/11 10:14Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy