SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Who was Jesus addressing in Mathew 5?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
PosterThread
Silo

Who was Jesus addressing in Mathew 5?

I'm just wondering when Jesus told the people to 'cut off there right hands if it causes them to sin'...was he talking to believers or non-believers?

Matthew 5:30

2010/2/2 9:30Profile
makrothumia

Texas

Re: Who was Jesus addressing in Mathew 5?

Jesus was talking to whoever had ears to hear. Faith comes by hearing.

makrothumia

2010/2/2 9:50Profile
Areadymind

Pacific Ocean

Re:

The message? Sin is far more deadly serious than we are willing to admit. Christ is trying to burn in your mind Silo just how incredibly serious it is.

2010/2/2 10:18Profile
Silo

Re:

I understand that but I'm wondering how they could turn away from sin without the help of God. That's why I think he was talking to people there on that mountain who already believed in him.

Can I tell our generation that same thing or do I have to tell them that they cannot turn away from sin without the help of Jesus.

I guess this is more of an evangelism question. I guess what I'm trying to ask is Do you believe in Jesus first and then take heed to Matthew 5:30?

2010/2/2 10:29Profile
Areadymind

Pacific Ocean

Re:

I would say that to impress upon a non-believer's mind the deadly seriousness of their sin would be in line with the heart of Christ, as that is exactly what he was doing. It is the job of an evangelist to help people understand the depth of their depravity, and the power and strength of the law to condemn their sin. Just remember to do it with a heart of love...

2010/2/2 10:36Profile
DBen

Western NY, USA

Re:

Quote:
Can I tell our generation that same thing or do I have to tell them that they cannot turn away from sin without the help of Jesus.

The best thing to do here is consider how Jesus taught. If our understanding comes first from knowing Him then we will not fall into error. This may not answer your question directly but it does point you to the one who can and will.

Be blessed as you consider.

2010/2/2 10:42Profile

Re:

HI Silo,

In general, the Word of God is revelation, therefore it is revelation to the whole world. For example, up until the ten commandments, people were sinners then they becaame transgressors. The difference being a direct rejection of the revealed word of God. Yet, there are clearly times when Jesus is speaking directly to believers. John 17 is a good example of Jesus speaking to His Disciples and then speaking to all future Disciples. Having said all that, Jesus is talking to His followers in Matt 5. No one can follow the commands of Jesus outside of a new heart. These commands are not natural, they are supernatural. The commands that Jesus lays down on the mount go against the very nature of man. He unleashed a revolution, and the only way one can be part of that revolution is by the enabling power of God that comes to the new creature. The old creature could not keep the 10 commandments, never mind the commands of Jesus on the mount. Even as genuine Christians, we have to pursue the surrendered life , we have to take up our cross, we have to die to our flesh perpetually, we have to continuously abide in Jesus in order to walk the path of the sermon on the mount...........Frank

PS I would strongly reccommend "The Cost of Discipleship," by Dietrich Bonhoffer for anyone who wants a great study of the sermon on the mount.

2010/2/2 10:44
Areadymind

Pacific Ocean

Re:

That is funny, I was going to recommend the exact same book Appolus...guess I should have.

2010/2/2 10:49Profile
Logic

Re:

Quote:
Silo asked:
how they could turn away from sin without the help of God.

Sin is moral.
All mankind is able to make moral decisions.

If it is an inability, it is not disobediance or rebellion, therefore, we are not culpable.

They don't need "God's [b]help[/b]", they need God's [b]forgiveness[/b] for not doing that which they are able to do but refuse.

Quote:

Tell them to do that which they already know to do.
when unsaved people do, by nature, the right thing to do, they are proving the work of the law to be written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and their thoughts the mean while accusing or else excusing one another (Rom 2:14-15)

All you should be telling them that they need to be forgiven (reconciled to God) of/from there rebellion against God who gave them their conscience (the knowledge of right & wrong), otherwise they will be damned.

If they [b]COULDN'T[/b] turn away from sin without the help of Jesus, the inability would exempt them from any command toward their inability; that would make them innocent & not guilty for their sin.

2010/2/2 12:49Profile
makrothumia

Texas

Re:

Jesus said, "Think not that I will judge you, but there is a judge for the one who hears my words but does not obey them ... the very word I speak will judge him."

Who is going the be judged by the words of Jesus? The ones who obeyed them or the ones who did not?

makrothumia

2010/2/2 12:53Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy