SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Lord of the Rings

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
nasekom

Dublin,Ireland

Re: Lord of the Rings

i watched the very first part.didn't watch any more after that.it's my personal opinion-as a Christian i didn't want to watch some of those scenes and all sorts of mythical creatures in the movie.so it's NAY.

2010/2/2 18:54Profile
JB1968

Ohio USA

Re:

Nay. I read the books before I was saved. I was into Dungeons and Dragons and to me these books fit right into the plot of witchcraft. I am not saying that that was the intent of Tolkien writing them but that was how they were applied with D&D. I destroyed them after I was saved. Looking back, I guess there may be some Christian parallels but I did not see it then. C.S. Lewis' books were more overtly Christian. I do not want to be a stumbling block to those into witchcraft and D&D. This is just my opinion.

2010/2/3 0:22Profile
stephenmac

Hi,

I would like to point out that there are many scriptures that talk about having nothing to do with wizards and sorcery. There are many scriptures that we should be ‘doing’ and if we are doing the will of God (like living Holy with His life flooding ours) then how can we even stand to watch or read anything that has zero to do with Him.

You can draw parallels to Christianity from anything. We are, as sinners, prone to justify anything as right but there in itself is the problem. If I in my flesh think something is OK I get rid of it because right away there is noway God can love sin.

I would rather read the word and serve God and would encourage you to ask God for conviction over this issue of any film or book. Most people will spend hours reading these books but can’t even find the time to read just as much or if not more of the bible. If you are desperate for Him then you will seek Him and His will. If you are not then there is much to deceive even the elect in this day and age.

Stephen

2010/2/3 0:58Profile
KathleenP

Maine

Re:

JB1968 and Stephenmac, I agree 100% with you both. I can't stress how concerned I am for those that find no harm in these movies or books.

I was saved from many terrible things including witchcraft dabblings and interest in "curious" arts. Our carnal man loves fantasy and the seduction of darker things. These are seducing spirits. I was specifically delivered from these interests and told by the Lord to stay away from them or it would open doors.

I go by the truth of His Word which is all authoritive. May the Lord open our eyes to deliver us from this American Christianity.

Please don't get the final word on this subject from someone that would support your beliefs. It is the word of God that will show us to have nothing to do with the unfruitful works of darkness.

Frightening images that you cannot have children around would be my first warning sign.

As the last two posters stated, you could point out types and comparisons in anything if you try hard enough. Do we really want to see though? Are we so addicted to the entertainment world that we simply don't want to turn our backs on it? God forbid that the evil creatures we view on the screen become our eternal tormenters.

Please pray and ask the Lord for His mind. It is no wonder our little ones often have nightmares and have mental "issues". Have we allowed the enemy place in our lives?

Selah.

2010/2/3 5:28Profile
JB1968

Ohio USA

Re:

I agree with Stephenmac and KathleenP. The Bible says that we are to "Come out and be ye separate and touch not the unclean thing". It also says to "avoid the very appearance of evil". May God give us discernment in this evil day that we live in.

2010/2/3 9:06Profile
MaryJane

Re:

Greetings giggles

I just wanted to say I agree with some others that have said you should pray about whether God has for you to watch these movies or not. I have only watched them once, as I said the Lord opened my eyes to see some wonderful truths of what its like to walk with Him and with others in the Body. I have not watched these movies since then and I have no need to. If you are troubled in the spirit about watching because of the violent content then do not watch them, walk in what the Lord is showing you. As I said before you will get many different opinions here on the matter so seek the Lord and pray about it.

God Bless you
mj

2010/2/3 11:30Profile
Goldminer

Alabama

I wasn't going to comment on this thread, but feel to now. I felt a real check in my spirit when I saw the previews to these movies. I have a problem with witchcraft and sorcery being entertaining. It would say that there is good white witchcraft and dark witchcraft, but as others have said in the bible we are told to have nothing to do with it. Even the cronicles of narnia bothered me and George Mcdonalds books as well. But I would say that we have to go with what the Holy Spirit says to us individually. For young believers I would shun anything but what feeds your spirit with light. After 33 years of walking with the Lord this stuff just feels yicky to me. I feel slimed after watching it.

2010/2/3 11:52Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re:

Personally enjoyed Lord of the Rings as well as the Lion,the Witch and the Wardrobe and Prince Caspian. I have become quite a fan of the writings of C.S. Lewis. Jimp, I also enjoyed reading the trilogy you mentioned. C.S. Lewis was really a master of allegory and I see more of his understanding of where this world was headed all the time. I was very satisfied that for once Hollywood did not include profanity, scantily clad bodies, and suggestive elements in any of these movies. I don't watch TV, and these movies comprise almost everything I have seen in the last five years. I guess I average about one per year.

I know that many are offended at the sorcery element in these films primarily. The seven parts of the Narnia series were intended to be an allegory of Christ, and if you read them with that in mind the intent of C.S. Lewis in these books comes across very strongly. The Last Battle, the last of the series, shadows the return of Christ and the end of the age and I wept my way through the ending as what I have studied from scripture about that glorious day of the Lord (for me anyhow, terrible for the lost)flooded my mind. I do not think the fact that magic or sorcery are an element in the story is really an issue. Scripture is clear about us not taking part in or having anything to do with sorcery or witchcraft. Scripture is full of accounts of people who engaged in this behavior, but I do not black those passages from my Bible so as not to be exposed to the concepts. These elements in these two author's books, I believe, are there as part of a story that brings about lessons and points that have nothing to do with witchcraft.

I believe, from what I have read, that Tolkein and Lewis were born again. But, both of them lived in a very institutionalized system and both surely had some issues. But have you every really studied Martin Luther. Powerfully used of God and we have him to thank that we hold our own copy of the Bible and understand justification by grace. But Luther was really pretty messed up. He loved God and walked in all he knew, but he was VERY imperfect.

Anyway, I give these films a thumbs up.

Travis

2010/2/3 20:42Profile
JB1968

Ohio USA

Re:

I've never known the Scripture to speak of witchcraft in a positive light. As far as I can tell it always speaks of it in a horrible way. God's ways are not like a "force" that can be used for good or evil. Lewis' works were obviously Christian in nature in contrast to Tolkein.
I'm an avid studier of history and I would not say that Luther was pretty messed up. He understood far more what righteousness consisted of than what most "modern" Christians do. He had great courage to stand for the authority of Scripture.

2010/2/4 0:00Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re:

I agree with your statement on righteousness by grace through faith. I did not mean messed up in that sense. If you were to look at his personal life, you will find that there were several inconsistencies like, for example, his antisemitic leanings. I think it would be safe to say that we might have questioned many things in his life and said, "should I really trust this guy to minister to me?" I guess my point was that what many might say about C.S. Lewis could also have been said about Luther.

2010/2/4 17:17Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy