PosterThread
Giggles

Lord of the Rings

Yay or nay?

2010/2/2 1:00Profile
MaryJane

Re: Lord of the Rings

Greetings giggles

Where you wondering about the book or the movie?

God Bless
maryjane

2010/2/2 1:04Profile
Giggles

Re:

Greetings MaryJane

Movie. Sorry for not being specific. God bless.

2010/2/2 1:06Profile
MaryJane

Re:

Greetings giggles

No worries:) I think you will get differing answers here but for me I really found many analogies in the movie to my walk with the Lord and with other believers. One part in particular was at the end of the first movie when Frodo tries to leave the others by getting into a boat because he does not want any harm to come to his friends and Sam comes out into the water after him. Frodo tells him to go back but even though Sam can not swim he keeps walking further and further out into the water after Frodo because he will not leave his friend to carry his burden alone. That really spoke to me, the love and the fellowship there. I cried so hard. They cared so much for each other that they were willing to lay down their life for the other one. I think of how we are told in the Word to love one another and to carry each others burdens. I think of how the Lord Jesus carries my burdens and died for me.

What were your thoughts on the movie? Is it a Yay or Nay for you:)

God Bless
maryjane

2010/2/2 1:20Profile
jimp

Re:

hi, loved the books and the movies...last time i went to a movie...loved c s lewis trilogy[out of the silent planet, perelandra,that hideous strenth]even more.jimp

2010/2/2 6:11Profile
Ceri

Notts. England.

Hi Giggles - A definate 'yay'! from us, all our family love the trilogy,although some Christians may not agree - I have heard the criticisms but I feel a lot of things get overly 'spiritualised' and then as a result criticised, instead of just enjoying a fantastic story and amazing acting and special effects - you would never believe that scene's were shot in warehouses and on a carpark!! it is amazing!

We watched a film about Tolkien, apparently he was a Christian and based Lord of the Rings on places he saw in Britain while growing up and also the war years. Although Christians do spiritualise the films, Tolkein did not write them as a spiritual story, it is all about the politics of world war 2. My hubby could tell you more about it, he is an avid fan!

The part that reduces me to tears is the scene where Pippin is forced to sing to the heartless king Denethor who is sitting at his table, gorging on all the food while a raging battle is ongoing. You can really feel Pippin's pain at that moment.

love Ceri

2010/2/2 6:26Profile

yay....TO ME, the ring represents sin.

thats all i want to say on that.

much much love in Christ, neil

2010/2/2 12:57
MaryJane

Re:

Quote:
yay....TO ME, the ring represents sin. thats all i want to say on that. much much love in Christ, neil

I agree completely on that. Seeing the grip the ring has on gollum is frightening. The ring at first has such a wondrous appeal but then it consumes him completely, he becomes a slave to the ring. We to can become slaves to the sin in our life if we do not have Christ as our Lord. Jesus alone can break the bondage of sin and free us from its grasp. I really thought that the movie portrayed well the madness of sin as well as the consequence of it. In the end gollum died because of his desire for the ring. Sin will bring death to those who refuse to repent and reject Jesus.

God Bless Neil(glad to see you posting. I have been missing some of the older posters around here:)

Maryjane

2010/2/2 13:09Profile
Giggles

Re:

Quote:
What were your thoughts on the movie? Is it a Yay or Nay for you:)

Well for the longest time, they've been my favorite movies. I've seen them through many times, but the violence has lately been bothering my spirit. I was wondering if anyone ese has sensed this?

2010/2/2 18:28Profile
MaryJane

Re:

Greetings Giggles

Quote:
I've seen them through many times, but the violence has lately been bothering my spirit. I was wondering if anyone ese has sensed this?

I always have a very difficult time with watching any kind of battle scene, so I tend to self edit the movies I watch. If others are watching I leave the room until the battle has ended, if I am alone I scene select to bypass the violent battle scenes. I really have a hard time with war movies, my dh really loves Band of Brothers and I can not watch that movie at all, it just is to much for me.

God Bless
maryjane

2010/2/2 18:42Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy