Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Typology

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
deltadom

Hemel Hempstead

Typology

Hebrews 10:1 KJV

For the law having a shadow of good things to come , and not the very image of the things, can never with those sacrifices which they offered year by year continually make the comers thereunto perfect .

2 Timothy 3:16 KJV

All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

Greek word for Type- Tupos

[url=http://biblestudy.crosswalk.com/mybst/default.aspx?type=library&contentid=110047&category=REF]Tupos- Greek Lexicon[/url]

typology is an interesting subject which is hard to nail down it was something that Orign and others where accused of doing, It is also adds more to Old testament Study!

John 5:39 KJV

Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.

The thing is with scripture is do we look for christ when he is not there! Say with the story of David and Goliath, do we denegrate actual history by using typology. So that non christians can refer to things just as fairy tales and have no basis in history. It is the struggle between the two. Such as the story of esther.

The prime example is Israel as a nation is allegorised away to think that Israel has no present state in world affairs in prophecy such as the time of jacobs trouble.

It sometimes saddens me that we use typology to negate History and Future events.

The reason I have been interested in this subject is that finding things such as Nehemiahs Wall and the Palace of David and other exiciting finds in the land of Israel prove the bible more!

I love the Biblical stories and sometimes I find that they are somehow degraded using Typology such as the real life account of davids life, I cried over and deutronomy. I realised these are real people who I am going to meet one day who have helped me through my experiences in life! Yes They point to christ but they are alive in the presence of our Messiah!

Yet we can still see types of the Messiah in the old testament!

I struggle with the issue as what is the proper biblical use of Typology? What is the fine like of using typology between degrading history and using it for good purposes?
How can we stay away from uses such as Orign's (Catholic) use of Typology? How can we use it to Glorify the Lord?
What is the risk of straying into the absurd with Typology?

I wish I had answers to these questions? I wish I new a proper way to use typology? I would be helpful for any suggestions.

2010/1/30 18:37Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Re: Typology

Something that would be helpful in avoiding the dangers of straying with typology is to use good reference materials when you enter Bible study at this level.

Strong’s Exhaustive Concordance is an excellent reference for any Bible study. For type studies try "A Dictionary of Bible Types" by Walter Wilson for reference. It's also wise to share your study and the interpretations you arrive at with your pastor or a mature brother or sister in Christ.

As far a degrading actual history goes, the parts of the Bible that are symbolical stories(parables/allegories)are either plainly said to be so by the writer or clearly evident by the context. There are some who would seek to avoid what appear to be intellectual hurdles by making actual history into allegory, Jonah in the belly of the whale is a great example. But Jonah was referred to in the historical book of 2 Kings and more importantly Jesus clearly validated him as a true prophet. Let scripture interpret scripture.

In Christ,

Ron

2010/1/30 23:52Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Quote:
Let scripture interpret scripture

Amen! A simple answer to a complex issue!

I have told one of our deacons that "you preachers sure have a knack for complicating the simplest thing!" He agreed.

Keep it as simple as the WORD have it and you will be blessed. When you complicate it then you will have a hierarchy of intellectuals rising who will infer that they are the only ones who can properly interpret Scriptures. If you notice Jesus called common people to lead his church. The only educated fellow was Paul and he had to unlearn a few things before he was qualified to lead.

Brother, I would not concern myself with typology beyond what the WORD clearly teaches. People will get themselves into a wad and then create a bigger one in working to untangle themselves.

My understanding...

ginnyrose

2010/1/31 0:16Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Typology is often used to diminish the work of Christ in the saints of the Old Testament. The testimonies of the faithful, unfaithful, and the ungodly people are given to us in the OT as example. These examples are meant to teach us what faith looks like, and what unbelief looks like in real life people. These examples are given to us so that we too might recognize the ways of God in our own lives.

Jesus is the Holy One of Israel. Everyone who lived by faith took on the image of Christ. That is why you will find OT Scripture often speaking about both the writer and Christ at the same time. Likewise, everyone who rejected God in the OT, takes on the image of their father Satan.

In Christ
Jeff

2010/1/31 7:35Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

I would say if scripture is clear that something is a type, then accept it as a type. It does not diminish historicity, nor does it diminish the work of Christ. Just don't try to make types out of things that scripture itself does not.

Your example of Hebrews 10 is a good one. The law itself was only a shadow, or a type if you will, of something to come. Scripture is clear on that. But once we see the real thing, the shadow suddenly loses its significance. We are aware of it still, but the limited information it gave us has now been eclipsed by knowledge of the real thing.

I think the OT types of Christs are beautiful to look at, but I think so only because I now know the true beauty of the Jesus Christ in a very intimate and personal way. It is a bit like looking at a photo of my wife. I joy in the photo because I have a deeper personal knowledge of the person in the photo. When I see a photo of someone I have never met, it gives me some information of that person, but does not carry the same significance. However, I would rather spend time with the real person of my wife than look at a photo of her.

Don't know if that helps any deltatom, but it is what came to mind anyhwow.

Travis

2010/1/31 11:41Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy