SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : I Just Want My Chicken

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
ginnyrose

Mississippi

I Just Want My Chicken

I got this in my email this morning and consider it so good I would like to share it here.

ginnyrose

I Just Want My Chicken
(Adapted by Louis Lapides, from Still More Hot Illustrations, pg. 177)

One fine evening Chad walked into a fast food chicken place and bought a nine-piece bucket of chicken. He took his meal to the park for a romantic picnic under the moonlight with Karla, his woman.

Upon reaching into the container of chicken, however, Chad received a surprise. Instead of chicken he discovered what was apparently the restaurant's night deposit-nine thousand dollars. The young man brought the bucket back and asked for his chicken in exchange for the money. Expensive chicken!

The manager, in awe of the man's honesty, asked for his name and told him he wanted to call the newspaper and the local news station. Chad would become a local hero, an example of integrity and morality that would inspire others!

The hungry man shrugged it off. "My date's waiting, I just want my chicken. No publicity, please!"

The manager's amazement over Chad's humility almost overwhelmed him. He begged again to be allowed to tell the story on the news. At this, Chad became angry with the manager and demanded his chicken.

"I don't get it," the manager responded. "You are an honest man in a dishonest world! This is a perfect opportunity to show there are people still willing to take a stand for what is right. Please, give me your name and also the name of the woman in the car. Is that your wife?"

"That's the problem," said Chad. "My wife is at home. The woman in the car is my girlfriend. Now let me have my chicken so I can get out of here."

It is easy to look first-rate to people who don't know us. We can keep the high visibility of our misdeeds in check. Since we all want to look good to others, this ambition can provide a strong motive for self-discipline. But when it comes to the low visibility of our thought life, we are not as careful. After all, who is going to see what occurs in our hearts? So we settle for looking good on the outside but concealing a private world made up of thoughts we would not want anyone to uncover. Yet our fiercest battles lie in this low visibility arena.

The answer to winning the battle for our secret life is to open ourselves to self-examination by God's loving and gentle Spirit. King David prays in Psalm 139:24, "See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting" (NIV). Sure, we would prefer not to hear any bad news about our secret sins. But we need to hear the "bad news" if we are to mature and be transformed by God. The willingness to hear hard truth is vital for anyone who loves wisdom. In the end, the truth may sound like bad news, but it is just what we need.

From Chris Long
Laugh & Lift Ministries
http://www.laughandlift.com

2010/1/30 9:13Profile
Anastasis

Re: I Just Want My Chicken

It reminds me of a pastor who when people come up and call him a great man of God he'll ask them, "Have you seen me around my wife?" It's no effort to put up a front; all you have to do is make sure certain details stay obscured. But to examine yourself when no one's looking, that takes something more.

Thank you ginnyrose

2010/1/30 11:02Profile

"A FLY IN THE PERFUME SPOILS THE WHOLE ANOINTING."
Solomon..

2010/1/30 11:19
MaryJane

Greetings Ginnyrose
I thought this was really good also and very convicting. I was at a local store just before Christmas, it was really busy and I had been waiting in line for over 20 minutes. The checker was taking a long time because she has a habit of having to ensure that each item be placed in a bag with similar items.Usually this means that she will spend more time going back and looking through each bag to make sure that she puts the item she just scanned with others that are the same. She is very obsessive about this. On this particular day I found myself feeling annoyed, the store was busy, I was running late, and I did not want to be there. In my mind I was just thinking all these thoughts, about how ridicules it was that this lady could not just bag the items and do her job. I was berating her in my mind all while I stood in that line, but then when it came time for me to get checked out I was all smiles and friendly to her face. I even told her it was no problem that I had to wait that long. As I was walking out to the parking lot I just felt so convicted, I heard the Lord say "its really a good thing she could not hear your thoughts ugh." I knew that I had been in sin where my thoughts and heart toward this lady were concerned. I repented and ever since I am seeing why we need to be examining our hearts daily, and ask God to show us and reveal to us those things that are not of Him. I think it is also very important to take captive our thoughts and bring them under submission to Him in all situations, even in the grocery store lines. I think it is very important to keep my focus centered on Jesus and not allow my mind to have free time to wonder and day dream. Allowing my thoughts to have free reign is like giving the enemy the tools and weapons to cause me to sin against my beloved Jesus. I am also really beginning to understand more and more what a danger the internet can be for this same reason. People sit behind a keyboard and can be who ever they want to pretend to be thinking no one is watching or will discover their secrets. Many do not even know that the Lord is always there with them and He knows all our inner most secret thoughts and desires. It is a very good thing when that conviction comes and we see those sins that we would rather remain hidden brought into the light.

Thanks for sharing this
God Bless
maryjane

2010/1/30 12:00Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Quote by Anastasis:

It reminds me of a pastor who when people come up and call him a great man of God he'll ask them, "Have you seen me around my wife?" It's no effort to put up a front; all you have to do is make sure certain details stay obscured. But to examine yourself when no one's looking, that takes something more

Sounds like Paul Washer! and he is so right!

MaryJane, your post is so full of profound concepts....The story of that clerk in the store and your response - OUCH! Been there and done that, too, and have experienced the same conviction!

How many times do we say sweet things to save face? In the situation you were in one could agree that "yes, it was long, but I had an opportunity to learn some patience!"* It is easy to think we need to live to be a hundred years old before we can get it all right...

Thanks for sharing...

ginnyrose

*EDIT: say this with a twinkle in your eye and smile in your voice and face and you will be blessed with the results! I should have mentioned this when I wrote it but I sometimes forget that people cannot see me when I write and do not get to see my twinkle and smile! :-)

2010/1/30 12:58Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Hi Sister Ginnyrose...

I have to admit, this story made me laugh so hard that my orange juice almost came out of my nose. However, it also made me reflect upon the sad truth about it.

I remember having a conversation with my wife while we were still courting. We were talking about faithfulness during a Bible study with her brothers and sisters. I remember telling her that I could never cheat because the greatest desire in my life is not to spend my life with [i]her[/i] (although I love her dearly). The greatest desire in my heart is to spend my life with God. To live in such sin would make that most wonderful secret time in prayer virtually impossible.

How do you talk to the Creator of all things -- who sees all things, knows all things and whose eyes go to and fro about the Earth -- while living in such secret sin? What would you talk about? Would you try to hide your sin from God while still talking with Him? For a person who has tasted that sweet intimacy of a relationship with our Lord, it would make him the most miserable person on Earth! Spending intimate time with God is the greatest and most meaningful thing in life! How could someone give it up...for a moment of earthly pleasure or secret sin?

Like you, I thought of King David. In his cry out to God following his sin with Bathsheba, David cried out, "[i]Cast me not away from thy presence; and take not thy Holy Spirit from me[/i]!" I do not believe that David was talking about life AFTER death. I believe that he was talking about the misery and turmoil of being separated from God while walking through this life. What an empty prayer life it must be to try and talk with God while ignoring your own "secret" sin.

Thank you for sharing this!

2010/1/30 13:06Profile
Giggles

Re:

Great article.

2010/1/30 13:54Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy