Image Map
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Others May, You Cannot

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
WatchmanEyes

philippines

Others May, You Cannot

OTHERS MAY, YOU CANNOT by G. D. Watson.

If anyone wishes to come after Me, he must deny himself, and take up his cross and follow Me. For whoever wishes to save his life will lose it; but whoever loses his life for My sake will find it.
(Matthew 16:24-25)

If God has called you to be truly like Jesus in all your spirit, He will draw you into a life of crucifixion and humility. He will put on you such demands of obedience that you will not be allowed to follow other Christians. In many ways, He seems to let other good people do things which He will not let you do.

Others who seem to be very religious and useful may push themselves, pull wires, and scheme to carry out their plans, but you cannot. If you attempt it, you will meet with such failure and rebuke from the Lord as to make you sorely penitent.

Others can brag about themselves, their work, their successes, their writings, but the Holy Spirit will not allow you to do any such thing. If you begin to do so, He will lead you into some deep mortification that will make you despise yourself and all your good works.

Others will be allowed to succeed in making great sums of money, or having a legacy left to them, or in having luxuries, but God may supply you only on a day-to-day basis, because He wants you to have something far better than gold, a helpless dependence on Him and His unseen treasury.

The Lord may let others be honored and put forward while keeping you hidden in obscurity because He wants to produce some choice, fragrant fruit for His coming glory, which can only be produced in the shade.

God may let others be great, but keep you small. He will let others do a work for Him and get the credit, but He will make you work and toil without knowing how much you are doing. Then, to make your work still more precious, He will let others get the credit for the work which you have done; this to teach you the message of the Cross, humility, and something of the value of being cloaked with His nature.

The Holy Spirit will put a strict watch on you, and with a jealous love rebuke you for careless words and feelings, or for wasting your time, which other Christians never seem distressed over.

So make up your mind that God is an infinite Sovereign and has a right to do as He pleases with His own, and that He may not explain to you a thousand things which may puzzle your reason in His dealings with you.

God will take you at your word. If you absolutely sell yourself to be His slave, He will wrap you up in a jealous love and let other people say and do many things that you cannot. Settle it forever; you are to deal directly with the Holy Spirit, He is to have the privilege of tying your tongue or chaining your hand or closing your eyes in ways which others are not dealt with. However, know this great secret of the Kingdom: When you are so completely possessed with the Living God that you are, in your secret heart, pleased and delighted over this peculiar, personal, private, jealous guardianship and management of the Holy Spirit over your life, you will have found the vestibule of heaven, the high calling of God.

By G.D. Watson

2010/1/28 1:18Profile

Re: Others May, You Cannot

Why not?

2010/1/28 2:18
KathleenP

Maine

This is wonderful and was shared with me by a dear sister in Christ. I work with two professing Christians, and it's honestly quite difficult trying to ignore the conversations covered, the things done that God declared to me were wrong, and the feeling of being an outcast of sorts to them overall. You are there, but not. Your friend truly is the Holy Spirit as He has proven many times if I even let a conversation stretch a tad too far, it veers into dangerous ground.

Yes, when the Lord calls you in this manner, you endure loneliness alot. Our human side so longs to be accepted and comforted by what we can see and feel. I just can't be with those that laugh and chat when God has called me to sanctification and enduring afflictions. I was so comforted just when I read this little article and also in hearing the testimonies of those precious few that drink of that cup.

Thanks for posting this brother.

2010/1/28 5:23Profile
notmyown

I have had this printed out and pinned to my study wall for over a year now and have found many aspects of it to be so true.

There are many things I have been guided by God to do (or NOT do) and those around me have not the same convictions. It leads to a lonely existance - many continue on their merry way in their social club called church whilst I cannot be content with such a walk. Many are saluted as doing a great job for God, yet do all in the flesh. If you even dare to attempt to call how things are done into question you are branded a trouble maker, 'too hard on yourself' and told to lighten up.

Many can, I cannot.

2010/1/28 7:29Profile
Goldminer

Alabama

Oh my how this is the heart of God. There are very few in the church that see this, but thank God there are some. Thank you for sharing this. We all want, in the flesh, to chart our own course, but, others may, you cannot.

After reading this I see that God is bringing a people back to the simplicity of the gospel. A crucified life. Only doing what they see the Father doing, saying what the Father is saying, working only what the Father is working. Praise the Lord.

Just recently I have have been led to read "The Cost of Discipleship" by Bonhoeffer and all of George Warnocks book and now see very clearly that this is the direction, "the single eye", that God is calling His people to.

I'm not there yet but He is leading me. I feel a check in my spirit constantly and feel many times I am the odd ball to the folks around me. I am rejoicing in that after reading your thread WatchmanEyes. I really appeciate the post.

2010/1/28 8:56Profile

Re:

copied and pasted it. This validates a lot of my walk and is refreshing to me. Thanks for the post.

2010/1/28 9:02
ginnyrose

Mississippi

This article has been posted before, I think, so this attests to the fact of its importance to the life of the Believer.

Quote:
Others will be allowed to succeed in making great sums of money, or having a legacy left to them, or in having luxuries, but God may supply you only on a day-to-day basis, because He wants you to have something far better than gold, a helpless dependence on Him and His unseen treasury.

There is one thing I have noticed in people who have been blessed with lots of money: God is providing them the resources to share with others, or even pay for some unknown tragedy down the line somewhere. Knowing that God is in control of who gets what and when, is comforting. Scripture tells us to be content...can I go shopping and not be lured into buying something I do not need? This becomes a real challenge to a woman. I am pleased to report that as one ages the lure of acquisition for its own sake has diminished. Now all I want are the things I need. (And yes, I admit that with only two in the house the needs are considerably less.)

Quote:
God may let others be great, but keep you small. He will let others do a work for Him and get the credit, but He will make you work and toil without knowing how much you are doing.

There is so much freedom is being 'small'. The place is not crowded, no one is vying for first place or for the preeminence. To find that place all one has to do is look around for something to do that is not being done and doing it cheerfully. There can be a lot of satisfaction in doing the 'little things'. Not many of us can handle popularity well anyways...

Quote:
If God has called you to be truly like Jesus in all your spirit, He will draw you into a life of crucifixion and humility

Crucifying ain't no fun nor painless, but it may be not be as painful as reaping the result of a life characterized by indulgence in the lusts of the flesh.

Such a good article - so much food for thought. Thanks for posting it..

ginnyrose

2010/1/28 10:02Profile
Giggles

Re:

Quote:
This article has been posted before, I think,

Youthinks correct; it was posted [url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=32307&forum=34]here.[/url]

Great article though. Worthy of mutliple reads and meditations.

2010/1/28 12:54Profile
HeedWatchmen

Southeastern PA

This is beautiful.

In a day of so much health and wealth teaching it is important to be reminded what it really means to follow Christ.

I printed a copy of this to refer back to. Life gets really tough sometimes and it is easy to say, "Why is this happening if I am following the Lord?" The truth is that He has a perfect plan that can only be completed by taking us through the fire.

2010/1/28 14:36Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy