SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : A Response to Contacting of Ministers before Criticizing their Teachings by Paul West

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
PosterThread
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re: A Response to Contacting of Ministers before Criticizing their Teachings by Paul

Excellent article, Paul.

However, in my spirit I sense an unsettling....

Paul is writing about the work or 'ministry' of a religious muckraker which has no place in the kingdom of God. It is a critical spirit which will find fault everywhere with nothing to spare. I, too, have experienced this check in my spirit - one time a Church of Christ fellow wanted me to critique one of their books. I started and noted all things that were not said 'right'. Then the Spirit quietly told me to leave it be. And I did and was blessed for it. The jot and title I was picking at was nothing short of a critical attitude.

What do I find unsettling? People do get into the mode of only wanting to hear sweet things. Sometimes if a person is confronted privately of a sin in a loving way, they will defend themselves and say you are being judgemental - the Bible says 'judge not!!!' and say you are not loving. I have heard so many people who have apostatized badly throw this accusation at you when confronted about apostasy or sin. Too many times we are like Ahab who does not want to hear the word of the LORD because "he does not prophesy good concerning me" 1Kings 22:8.

As far as those watchman ministries, I must say we have personally benefited from "Watchman's Fellowship". They have analyzed cults and teach people where they are wrong. Without these teachings one can easily get snookered in because most of what these religious groups on the fringe teach are true. It is only within their doctrine one will find a nugget of poison that will contaminate the entire thing. I appreciate those prophets who work to sort out these errors - I do not have the time for it. Some errors are easily discernible but others are not because they are not always obvious.

"Christianity Today" used to be really good in alerting their readership about questionable ministries. Imagine my shock when I was told that the famous author Rosalind Rinker is a darling of the lesbian/homosexual movement. The reason I am so shocked is that a ladies group of whom I was a part of used her lit! And I promise you if you followed her teachings you will become the darling of these groups. Anyhow, after I learned this, I threw this book in the garbage and in doing so have even forgotten the title of this book. Yet, according to a survey done by CT her writings have impacted Christianity in a profound way.

I compile the church bulletin - have for many years and in it I love to add inspirational pieces in the empty spaces. To find these pieces I will go online. I have rejected many that upon further examination came from someone who teaches false doctrine. Now this particular article may have been fine, but someone may be so impressed with it that he/she will go online to check this person's writings and will not have the discernment to reject and get deceived. Plus I do not want to lend credibility to someone who is a false teacher. (EDIT: Many times I will experience a check in my spirit about these writings.)

I have personally be deceived in my youth and as a young mother. One of the issues I had to deal with is that there were people older then me who should have known better and told, taught me this was wrong. But they didn't and I promoted something dreadfully wrong...

Yes, I deeply appreciate those who will take the time to point out error less we become deceived - muckrakers are not needed in the kingdom of God.

Blessings,
ginnyrose

2010/1/30 13:42Profile

Re: TO FEED AND PROTECT.

I wrote:[ Brothertom ]

"I wouldn't want to be in their shoes on the Great Day of the Lord. Yes, we should be careful not to accuse those upon the same path as we, with differences, but at the same time we must be diligent, as the Apostles and Prophets have always been, to stand against the "damnable Heresies", like Roman Catholicism, Mormonism, and deceivers and liars like Todd Bentley and his supporters."

Snufalapagus responded:

"I think what Paul West was referring to was these groups and their ministry that we are to leave alone."

"There is a fine line here that is difficult to decipher. We are to rebuke but it's within the body of Christ. We know that Mormonism is not Christian, why rebuke it? Only if it's coming into our ranks that we should lift up a standard against it. They believe they are doing a work for God and the Lord is saying, "leave them alone". Don't get all tangled up in what they believe and fighting with them, "You Follow Me", let the dead bury their dead."

"There will be times by the Spirit that we will rebuke those that are not in the body, but those times are rare."

I wrote: [ Brothertom ]

We should indeed ignore heresies and deceptions in general, but only in the context that they will not encroach into the holy fellowship of the true church.

It is then, that we must confront the deception as the lie, in order that the younger, and naive would see. This is the DUTY of the shepherd...[ elder,Pastor ]

Below is the REST of my post...

"Are our hearts right, to protect the people of God, and proclaim truth?...for the glory of Jesus?..or is it for our own self righteousness or promotion that we stand?"

The point of rebuke IS NOT to start a fight with the Mormons or the Papists, and I most heartily agree with the tenor of the post to generally "leave them alone," but when and if they begin to seduce the body to accept them, or reel in a brother or sister to accept them as a valid form of serving Jesus, THEN the true under shepherd of Jesus must stand up against them, to expose them for what they are; agents of the devil.

2010/1/30 17:54
jpspeer

Possible practical way to strike a blanance...

Considering the autonomous nature of the local assemblies of believers, it would seem to be scripturally wise to handle the types of situations that require such watchfulness and defense of the faith primarily within our own churches.

Just a thought.

2010/1/30 20:22Profile

Re: A Response to Contacting of Ministers before Criticizing their Teachings by Paul West

Hi Brothertom,

I found this thought helpful.

Quote:
The point of rebuke IS NOT to start a fight with the Mormons or the Papists, and I most heartily agree with the tenor of the post to generally "leave them alone," but when and if they begin to seduce the body to accept them, or reel in a brother or sister to accept them as a valid form of serving Jesus, THEN the true under shepherd of Jesus must stand up against them, to expose them for what they are;

You may remember exhorting me to 'RUN' a few months ago? I have now found out that the pastor in question is a glowing example of the new way of 'building a church', from reading the new website for [url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=32426&forum=40&5]AoG, UK[/url]. (I have posted a link and expounded briefly my findings, in the Revivals forum, for further discussion. I would be glad if you'd take a look at it.) Also, I have stopped trying to attend that church as a worshipper, while keeping in touch with some who still do. It is still on my heart to find a way to explain to the leadership that they are falling for a subtle deception.

2010/2/1 13:46

Re:

Brother Tom said,

Quote:
The point of rebuke IS NOT to start a fight with the Mormons or the Papists, and I most heartily agree with the tenor of the post to generally "leave them alone," but when and if they begin to seduce the body to accept them, or reel in a brother or sister to accept them as a valid form of serving Jesus, THEN the true under shepherd of Jesus must stand up against them, to expose them for what they are; agents of the devil.

I believe this is the gist of what Paul West was referring to.

2010/2/1 22:55

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy