SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Pessimistic Christianity by Gareth Evans

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Pessimistic Christianity by Gareth Evans

[b]Pessimistic Christianity[/b]
[i]by Gareth Evans[/i]

Two men in a prison cell, looking through the bars One only saw the darkness, the other saw the stars.

The story is told of that great missionary Hudson Taylor, who when he could not influence enough young men to follow in his footsteps in taking the Gospel message to China, declared in a fit of pique, “Then I will return myself!” An Anglican clergyman wrote to the disgruntled missionary, “Hudson, have you gazed into the Saviour’s face recently; seen Him seated on His throne in the heavenlies? There are no worry lines upon His brow, no anxious thoughts cross His mind – and He is far more concerned about China than you can ever be!”

Our secular media is full of news of the demise of the church in the west, having lots of ‘statistics’ to prove it. Sadly, such ‘news’ is also all that some believers read/hear in the Christian media. It is right that we should be motivated to pray for the persecuted church but surely, it is also right that we should rejoice in the church triumphant, often in the same countries. I have been told several times in recent weeks that Islam will soon overrun UK and that Canada and America cannot be far behind. It appears that God has lost control or is disinterested in intervening in our sorry world. Surely, if Islam should overrun the west, it would only be in God’s will, in order to purify His church (‘against which the gates of Hell cannot stand’).

I do not expect the world’s media to tell of the multitude of things the Lord is doing in all parts of the world, but surely our Christian media should be trumpeting it abroad! For example, we are told that if one converts from Islam to Christianity in IRAN, he may be beheaded. Few ask why this law was enacted at the end of 2008. Maybe it is because the regime is concerned, since “over 1,000,000 Iranians have converted since the Cultural Revolution and 1000 people a month are writing to us seeking to know how to become Christians”. Dr Lazarus Yeghnazar of 222 ministries. Find him on Google search.

Further, in my homeland of Wales, the Anglican church has 200 vicars less today that 30 years ago (as the secular media is quick to point out) BUT the truly ‘evangelical’ vicars has risen in number from less than 10 to more than 60 in the same time (Canon Stuart Bell of St Michael’s, Aberystwyth).

Yes, the church is growing rapidly and openly in Africa and Latin America; it is also growing rapidly and underground in Asia and the Muslim East. To the discerning eye, many good things are happening in many parts of the UK also. For example, in my home town, there was no evangelical church witness when I became a believer 50 years ago; today there is a thriving Baptist church with an ongoing outreach program, a new Pentecostal church plant and a vicar sympathetic to the Gospel.

Believers, lift up your eyes! The king is still on His throne! He is doing great things, even in the nations of the west. Do not expect the world’s media to tell you this – they are blind to such things. However, redeemed people can look into the darkness and see the stars. Open our eyes, Lord!

I sense the falling of the early rain. O Lord, send the floods upon us again!

2010/1/26 17:51Profile
Giggles

Re: Pessimistic Christianity by Gareth Evans

Good word.

2010/1/27 10:07Profile
Ceri

Notts. England.

Re: Pessimistic Christianity by Gareth Evans

God bless you Gareth.
Thank you for a postive outlook to the Church today. I too feel a sense that God is on the move, He certainly is in my life!
All my life the injoke about Christians is that we go around in black suits, with a black book and wear black looks, we carry a sense of defeat, negativity and legalism and then wonder why people we know don't want what we have!
When I was going through a really tough time in life one of our Deacons said to me "who are you going to believe - who are you going to have faith in? - the Editor of the gutter press or the author of this book" - waving his bible!

I love the clip of Dyfrig Griffiths doing a tour of Moriah Chapel, he starts to sink into how the world is today and then realises what is happening and exclaims "hold on a minute! hold on a minute! who is on the throne!

I have determined to keep a positive attitude in all things, my family will tell you that I refuse to major on negativity, it is a choice I have made. It's not that I have my head in the clouds or wear rose tinted glases but I know God has not abandoned us and His fruit also contains Joy!
'The Joy of the Lord is our strength' scripture says yet too often I see Christians that have lost their Joy - I tell my family that Satans job is to kill, steal and destroy, and if he can rob you of your joy then he also has your strength, so don't ever be robbed of your joy.
I agree with you Gareth, all I hear around me is negativity, let's have some optimistic Christianity for a change!

2010/1/27 10:28Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy