SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Avatar

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 )
PosterThread
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Quote:
I remember asking this question to a group of young people that I taught years ago. We went into a great discussion of how far is too far in the sense of physical contact in a dating environment. I have realized over the years that the very question itself is based on a very faulty premise. That premise is that sin has a threshold that we can approach ever nearer to without crossing that threshold. To ask, "How far can I go without crossing the line?", reveals that in our hearts we divided between surrender to God and desire to feed our own lust. I am not talking about a person who is ignorant or a person who finds himself giving in to a temptation in a moment. I am talking about believers who know deep down that they are participating in sin, but desire it to the degree that they are willing to justify degrees of sin in order to gratify the flesh.

Excellent point. This point has far reaching applications. In other words, if you doubt, don't.

ginnyrose

2010/1/28 20:39Profile

Re:

Quote:
Excellent point. This point has far reaching applications. In other words, if you doubt, don't.

This is excellent advice and worthy of all acceptation.

Quote:
"How far can I go and still be technically OK?"

For any believer to think this way, I question their faith. It's like dieting. Do we really want to lose weight or just enough so that we can continue feeding off the fat? The same goes to movies, I have found myself pulling back from watching movies because I found myself engrossed in other forms of entertainment. It starts with watching innocent programming like Nature and children shows, then your palette wants more and more the "eye is never satisfied in seeing" it wants to see more. A Christian never thinks how far he can go, he wonders how he can break free. It's like the frog in the pot slowly being cooked to death, he compromises with his surroundings and adjusts to the temperature. God turns up the conviction but he doesn't jump out, God leaves him for a time to wallow in it until he gets so sick of himself. I am talking about myself, been there done that.

2010/1/28 21:37
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re:

Quote:

Well, it is true that whatsoever is not of faith is sin. Paul dealt with the subject of eating meats that were offered to idols. He basically said that we know the idol is nothing and that the meat is simply food, but if you are weak in your faith and are doubting, then you should not eat. In that sense, if you doubt, don't is truly great advice.

I think what I was saying goes even beyond that though. It is the idea that I want to hang on to as much of the flesh as I can and still "make it" so to speak. It is a life that is not surrendered to the Lord in its entirety. God wants it all. If my attitude is, "How much can I get away with before I cross the line?", then I show that my desires are as much or more toward appeasing my flesh as they are toward pleasing God.

There is a balanced understanding of the grace of God that needs to be worked into and out of every part of our lives. It is true that I am saved by grace. My right standing with God through Christ has nothing to do with my actions in the sense of my actions somehow earning me right standing by merit. Paul taught this principle so strongly that he knew some might misunderstand and say, cool, I can be right with God and still do what I want? Awesome! But Paul said, "What shall we say then, shall we continue in sin that grace may abound? God forbid!" We are to reckon ourselves dead indeed to sin and alive unto God. We are not to let sin reign in our mortal bodies. Why? So we can earn something from God? So He will be more apt to answer our prayers? So He will be disposed to send revival either personally or corporately? The answer to all of these questions must be a resounding NO! Paul also made this very clear with the hard things he had to say to the church at Galatia.

It is the grace of God that teaches us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world. We must realize that sin in any form defiles us. It makes us deaf to the voice of the Lord. It hardens us to Him. It brings about hardness of heart and impotency of faith. 1 Tim. 1:19.

Living by weighing consequences of actions versus perceived benefits in gratification of the flesh is to live carnally, and is a result of carnal mindedness. Not sin-mindedness, but flesh mindedness. It is having our focus on physical things rather than spiritual. To live this way is death. But to be spiritually minded is life and peace. This is living out of the mind of Christ (1 Corinthians 2)

This, I am afraid, is where a large portion of Christians live. They have an incomplete understanding of the grace of God and they live most of their lives out of carnal motivation. They have great knowledge of the side of grace that brings righteousness by faith, but little understanding of what accepting that grace means in the realm of death to the flesh and to self. It is an incomplete view and it leaves them faithless and impotent, unable to clearly hear the voice of the Lord.

I guess that was a little bit more where my thoughts were going.

Travis

2010/2/2 17:01Profile
JCGarc55

Re: Avatar

I'm glad I read all these posts. Sometimes you wonder if you are too extreme on certain views. With Avatar, I considered going but I went to screenit.com[url=www.screenit.com]Screen It - free family reviews[/url] and was disturbed by what I found out in regards to the profanity.. Especially after the movie was recommended by several people I know. Most said it was "awesome!" and the graphics were great, etc.

look at this:
# At least 10 "s" words, 1 slang term using male genitals ("d*ck"), 5 hells, 4 asses, 4 damns, 3 craps, 1 S.O.B., 7 uses of "G-damn," 2 of "Jesus" and 1 use each of "For Christ's sakes," "My God," "Oh God" and Oh my God."

I disturbs me that Christian parents would have no issue with this. I just don't understand..Also, that hollywood would make a movie thats geared for kids that has this in there. Well, I shouldn't be surprised on that right?

Lastly, take a look at this "IMITATIVE BEHAVIOR" on the screenit review... Stuff that I don't even feel comfortable posting here. Anyways... I guess I'm preaching to the choir.

2010/2/6 11:05Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Quote:
I guess I'm preaching to the choir.

Some of the choir members would even disagree with issues that bring you displeasure...

Thanks for sharing this list of inappropriate (or carnal or sinful) language. Because popular culture uses this language with no conscience, Christian people have incorporated it into their speech with no thought of its meanings or definitions. Sad. Tragic. Yes, Christians are getting used to the dark.

Blessings,
ginnyrose

2010/2/6 11:56Profile
sojourner7

Omaha, NE

Re: Avatar

WHY IS SO MUCH ATTENTION BEING GIVEN AND COMMENT
MADE ABOUT A PIECE OF PAGAN, SECULAR ENTERTAINMENT ??
SHOULDN'T OUR HEARTS AND MINDS BE STAYED UPON
HIGHER AND HEAVENLY THINGS ??

2010/2/6 13:35Profile
Lysa

East TN (for now)

Re: snufalapagus - avatar

Quote:
snufalapagus:
[i]"How far can I go and still be technically OK?" [/i]
For any believer to think this way, I question their faith.

I think this blanket statment is a little much because the ones who say this are the younger less mature ones; you could help them grow by helping them see the trap that the enemy is setting for them in this kind of thinking instead of questioning their faith.

[i]For through the authority graciously given to me I warn every individual among you not to value himself unduly, but to cultivate sobriety of judgement in accordance with the amount of faith which God has allotted to each one.[/i]
Rom 12:3 WEY

My pastor years ago was a sheep farmer and he said that sheep walk in a single file line to the barn to eat and back out again and if one of them steps on a rock, they will kick it out of the way (sideways) for the sheep coming behind.

(edit)We all have been alloted or given a different portion of faith. We who are so 'FAITHFUL' need to teach the younger ones!! We are all trying to make it home, even those questioning how much they can get away with!! (edited)

God bless you brother,

2010/2/6 18:01Profile
MaryJane

Re:

Greetings Sojourner

Quote:
WHY IS SO MUCH ATTENTION BEING GIVEN AND COMMENT MADE ABOUT A PIECE OF PAGAN, SECULAR ENTERTAINMENT ?? SHOULDN'T OUR HEARTS AND MINDS BE STAYED UPON HIGHER AND HEAVENLY THINGS ??

I think some are talking about this as a warning to others who may not be aware of the dangers and pitfalls that are in this movie. Some times a warning from those who have seen and learned can help another from making the same unwise decision.

God Bless
mj

2010/2/6 18:11Profile
Zionshield

Ohio

Re: Timechanger

Yes, Plugged In online is also a good resource. My wife and I will not see a movie that uses the Lord's name in vain. Once we saw that in Avatar's review we didn't need to look any further.

We use ChristianCinema.com to get good movies. Its like netflix. We watched Timechanger last week and were on our faces before the Lord when it was over.

It depicted a Bible college professor transported from 1890 to 2000. One scene had him going to a movie on with a group from a local church.

It then went to a scene where he ran out from the movie into the lobby where they sell popcorn, very upset and animated, shouting "They have blasphemed the name of the Lord...you must stop this!!!"

We are fish in the sea and do not know how wet we are.

2010/2/7 10:25Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy