SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Avatar

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
jlosinski

North Pole, Alaska

Re:

Goldminer:
I don't rule my house with an iron fist :), the decision was one that I certainly wanted to make, but knew that my wife wouldn't spring for it at first. I've been learning over the past couple of years that for me to bring up areas that need to change is often not the best way to go about it. I've learned to pray and wait for the Holy Spirit to make the change in my wifes heart, and I pray that she does the same for me. Over the next few months the change was made and I didn't have to fight over the issue, the Holy Spirit is far more tactful and convincing than I can be, even with good intentions. I feel your situation, cast you cares on Christ. When I'm in a situation like yours, my ears hear what is going on, but my heart is jealously guarding my love for Christ.
Love in Christ,
Joe

2010/1/26 23:38Profile
MaryJane

Re:

Quote:
This is a no compromise issue, I can't think of any valid argument that one could offer to God as to why they thought it was ok to watch/listen/read that stuff.

Greetings jlosinki

Thanks for expanding on what you meant. I have often heard many who profess the name of Jesus who use His name irreverently. It really does cause me to take pause, I wonder how it must grieve the Lord. And I agree that in those situation that we can we should not put these things before us.

God Bless
maryjane

Edited

2010/1/27 0:04Profile
Goldminer

Alabama

Re: Avatar

jlosinski and everybody thanks for all your great comments.

I am at peace in my situation. My real reason for posting this thread is not frustration with my situation. It is extreme wonder of how "chritians" could find Avatar OK and even great, especially pastors that lead the flock. It seems that some think that they can just blink out the "bad" parts and enjoy the action and animation and be OK. But we become desensitized by allowing these things to enter our eye gates and ear gates. It is like hiding the idol amongst our stuff. It might not be visible but God is not OK with it.

We need to not evaluate how much is just OK, one sex scene? one swear word? one adultery. How many is OK? Enjoying the entertainment of false gods?

It is time we as christians understand that we are to be redeeming the time for it is short and making sure that pure things enter our lives so that the outflow can be pure.

I was hoping in this thread to encourage anyone who thinks Avatar and movies like it are Ok to rethink their position in light of the comments this generated.

2010/1/27 0:48Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Quote:
We need to not evaluate how much is just OK, one sex scene? one swear word? one adultery. How many is OK? Enjoying the entertainment of false gods?

How much is OK? Excellent question! I wonder about this, too.

As a married woman I get very uncomfortable about 'love' scenes, not the sexy ones (never viewed any of this), just the passionate kissing. Hey, these actors are made with flesh and blood and do respond to touch...Is it holy for people who are not married to each other to participate in these scenes? Does 1 Corinthians 7:1 apply here?

Several years ago we saw a live performance of "Annie Get Your Gun". It was a good one, fun to watch until the end where you had Annie and the young man in a very cozy embrace kissing. The actress was a married woman, married to someone else. I felt very uneasy after seeing that...is this not committing adultery? I can tell you one thing, I would be as happy as an angry rooster if I saw my husband kissing another woman on stage....and I just might begin to act like one, too. :-(

ginnyrose

2010/1/28 9:28Profile
Goldminer

Alabama

I am sure this is part of the reason there is so very little lasting committment in Hollywood. When you are lip to lip with someone else it is bound to have an effect, especially if that person is physically gorgeous. I sure there is a big group that have dumped their spouses after these encounters.

Very good point ginnyrose. Not sure about the adultry part.

2010/1/28 9:36Profile

Re:

It shouldn't be a forbidden thing to not watch television or to see movies, but it should be discouraged and given valid reasons from a scriptural point of view of what it will do to our minds if one is exposed to it for long periods of time. For example:

"Evil communications corrupt good manners".

There is no sense in giving a "thou shalt not" because we'll only break it to discover the reasons why. That is why I like BrotherToms post about his daughter seeing this movie, she discovered for herself that it's wrong. This tells me a lot about Brother Toms family. :-)

2010/1/28 9:54
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re:

Quote:

I remember asking this question to a group of young people that I taught years ago. We went into a great discussion of how far is too far in the sense of physical contact in a dating environment. I have realized over the years that the very question itself is based on a very faulty premise. That premise is that sin has a threshold that we can approach ever nearer to without crossing that threshold. To ask, "How far can I go without crossing the line?", reveals that in our hearts we divided between surrender to God and desire to feed our own lust. I am not talking about a person who is ignorant or a person who finds himself giving in to a temptation in a moment. I am talking about believers who know deep down that they are participating in sin, but desire it to the degree that they are willing to justify degrees of sin in order to gratify the flesh.

I am not a legalist. None of us will ever be perfect like God is perfect until the return of the Lord, and if we wish to make it by our own good standard of living we must be just as perfect as God. Impossible! So I am not trying to say that one must have everything together to be accepted by God. This standing comes by God's grace through our faith in that grace. What I am saying is that so many have never surrendered these areas of their lives to Christ for one reason or another and so they continually try to serve two master in the thing by asking the question, "How far can I go and still be technically OK?"

Travis

2010/1/28 10:02Profile
Goldminer

Alabama

It's a little leaven that leaventh the entire loaf.

2010/1/28 10:44Profile
MaryJane

Re:

I decided to remove my post after some prayer.

God Bless
mj

2010/1/28 17:43Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Quote:
about the adultery part

I was thinking of Matthew 5:27-28. While this scripture deals with looking, what you have in acting is actual physical contact - something that has gone to the next level.

ginnyrose

2010/1/28 20:30Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy