SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Avatar

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re:

Adisciple wrote:

Quote:
Haven't seen any of the great Must Sees. Haven't seen Titanic. And no, haven't seen The Passion either.

Haven't seen Titanic either. Had no desire and I am sure I did not miss a thing. I did see the Passion. I sobbed and wept my way through is as did most. I agree with you and Ravenhill. I would much rather be in the presence of the Lord and experience His joy than be entertained. I know this may sound irreverent and I don't mean it that way, but fellowshipping with the Lord, immersed in His presence with fellow believers is the best entertainment there is.

I know you were not making the point that these things are inherently evil, but I think it is worth noting that the medium of video can be a very powerful tool. I remember the Lord speaking to me and teaching me a very powerful lesson through a veggietales movie that my wife and I saw at the dollar theater. I literally wept through the ending while most people around me munched popcorn and laughed. But I am extremely picky about what I allow myself to watch and we do not have a TV in the house, nor do I ever want one. 1972?? Wow, I was barely a year old.

It's just that the price tag on the Joy of the Lord is pretty steep. We'd rather shell out a few bucks and be entertained instead. Maybe it's not the real thing, but at least it's easier.

This is a very true and sobering statement. We need to learn to value the presence of the Lord more than we value breath, and certainly more than we value our desire for entertainment.

Travis

2010/1/24 21:01Profile
Goldminer

Alabama

Re: Avatar

twayneb I agree with you on all you have shared.

The trouble I have is I am the only one really walking with the Lord in my family. I really hate TV, movies and most anything but the puter and reading. However God has given me a husband that wants me to go with him places. I refuse just about everything with regards to movies because I just can't watch them, but I was assured by family it was a good OK for a christian to go to movie, not. I have been living this way for 33 years now. I am the constant wet blanket to everybody, and I am Ok with that. But it would seem as a wife you can't say no to everything. He tries to make it OK for me, but I am so.... picky. I am very sensitive to the spirit of what is being projected. I can't stand todays comedy. It is all trash to me. I have grown weary a bit of walking this, but I will not give into discouragment. I hope you will all pray that someday I will be equally yoked and it won't be me that changes. We were both unsaved when we got married 38 years ago. It is tough. So if any of you fellow believers are considering marrying someone unsaved, don't. I love my husband with all my heart, but him being a follower of Christ would be so... wonderful.

I too watched the Passion and wept. I have the video but my husband will not watch it with me yet.

I appreciate you all.

God bless you and peace to you house.

2010/1/24 21:37Profile
Goldminer

Alabama

By the way dspks I sent the link you gave to my pastors and the person I mentioned that likes it.

thanks

2010/1/24 21:39Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Quote:
There is a bondage to entertainment that I think is very real.

AMEN! And ditto to the other posts on this thread.

There are so many things out there that fight for our attention and once it gets it, it wants us to become obsessed with it, like an addiction. Even the most innocent thing can become an addiction.

My sister-in-law is addicted to her blackberry, Face-Book, internet and it is destroying her relationships with her husband and others...and it is all everybody else's fault, or so she says.

When I was a young woman I was addicted to crossword puzzles - I was obsessed with the ones that were in the Memphis "Commercial Appeal". God convicted me of it and now I can barely fill one out. And I was good at it! Ditto to the game Sudoku...And now I am beginning to wonder about the time I spend on FaceBook...

Loved everyones post on this thread, lots of food here to feed upon.

ginnyrose

2010/1/24 22:06Profile
MaryJane

Re:

Greetings Ginnyrose

Quote:
...And now I am beginning to wonder about the time I spend on FaceBook...

I can just really relate to what you shared.
Some of my family use facebook and twitter as well. I have thought about signing up so many times but I know that I can not. As you know from my many pm I love to write, because of this I know that using facebook or twitter would be a huge temptation for me to spend way more time then I should. I know that it is something that I really need to be mindful of and be in prayer about because for me it would be something I could become addicted to.

As for movies or tv I have really been able to bring this under the Lord with His strength. At one time I was very much addicted to a certain tv show. I was obsessed with it and could not miss a single episode but then the Lord showed me that I had to stop watching it completely and I did. I never looked back and I do not regret it or miss it. For me I am learning that the Lord does not want me to give my heart away to anything other then Him and as soon as something takes any kind of priority in my life or heart over time with Him then it has to go.

As for this movie, I have not seen it but some in my family have and they thought it awful.

God Bless
mj

2010/1/24 22:36Profile

Re:

Quote:
I did see the Passion. I sobbed and wept my way through is as did most.

I have the DVD for that movie and the "impact" movie that followed afterward. It's a movie that one just doesn't watch frivolously. This may sound strange, regardless of who made the film, I personally feel a reverence for it. It's not something that you can eat popcorn with.

2010/1/24 23:27
Goldminer

Alabama

I have to agree snuf. I have found that when I have alone time with God occassionally I feel led to watch it and remember what love looks like.

God can even use secular society to speak to people and He did with this film. It breaks my heart and at times I really need my heart broken.

2010/1/24 23:52Profile
nasekom

Dublin,Ireland

Re:

Quote:
And now I am beginning to wonder about the time I spend on FaceBook...

the same with me ginnyrose.i don't watch movies.but i do use internet quite a good bit.and just yesterday i was thinking-am i spending too much time on the internet,especially the facebook...thanks for sharing sister...so i am not the only one :)

2010/1/25 6:29Profile
Goldminer

Alabama

I will say that with regards to facebook that you can use it as a ministering tool. I have friends who put scripture on there everyday and at times I feel led to share someting by what of encouragement or whatever God leads. But if you are spending huge amounts of time on things like farmville, or the rest, that is a differnt story. It is a time sucker used for just intertainment.

2010/1/25 10:38Profile
jlosinski

North Pole, Alaska

Re:

There is a great resource for movies that contain blasphemy, it's by Ray Comfort- HollywoodandGod.com My wife and I check this list and if there is blasphemy in the movie, we won't watch it. That cuts out 99.9% of the movies at the theatre, and 99.9% of the shows on television. In fact, we haven't had television for a year or so, since there was precious little we could watch, even on the Animal Channel, there was blasphemy.

Make it simple guys- If a movie or tv show contains any form of blasphemy, even once, don't financially support it or watch it.

2010/1/25 11:57Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy