SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Avatar

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
Goldminer

Alabama

I generally don't go to movies, but I allowed my family to convince me to go see Avatar, telling me it was just animation cartoons. Outside of the naked aliens, what really bothered me about this movie is the fact I found out Avatar is a name for the incarnate hindu god vishtu and the link that this movie makes between the earth and every living thing.

I found myself calling on the name Jesus during the movie.

What really bothers me is that some christians I know see nothing wrong with it. It is a grief to me. One was mentioning how much he liked it on facebook and I shared about vishtu and he removed my post and still uses the an avatar mini pic, and the guy is a pastor.

2010/1/24 0:40Profile
rainydaygirl

Re: Avatar

I have not seen this movie personally, however I do have family that has seen it. To put it simply they hated it. They said it was so preachy and just over the top with mother earth worship. They were told like you that it was a harmless fun 3d movie about blue smurfs but they ended up leaving.

Sadly there are many Christians who are saying that this is a wonderful movie. Its really kind of sad to see how easily so many professing Christians are deceived. Time is short and we need to keep our eyes on the King!

2010/1/24 2:01Profile
bible4life

Locport, Illinois

Re:

brother don't worry about it, but i would say keep warning people about it. I recently spoke out against the family guy to one of my christian friends who likes it and he had a problem with me having a problem with it, i was told that i am preaching the gospel wrong by him and he also said that Paul Washer is preaching wrong too because he is not preaching and focusing on the love of God and i got lectured on how i have no right to tell a brother about their sin and that i need to show more love and it hurt me because i thought i was doing the right thing. But i have reckoned to let it go for the sake of peace but i will be praying for him. It baffles me those are unwilling to see that their are things that are blasphemous and christians don't care.

2010/1/24 5:26Profile

Re:

I never heard of Avatar until I was searching for Avatars for a forum. I've watched the Matrix, the X-men series and I wished that I hadn't. These movies glorify the flesh. And by some of the responses you's are telling me that Avatar is running the same theme. I wouldn't say all movies glorify the flesh, but most do, it's difficult to find a "good" show to watch.

I wouldn't be too discouraged about your friend bible4life. A lot of the time people will defend something that they have attached themselves to. When truth is spoken it's never easily received at first. Give it some time to penetrate the heart and mind and if he is truly a believer your words will resonate in his ears. An example of this is the two men on the way to Emmaus when Jesus appeared to them and walked with them. They were his disciples, they heard Him preach, heal the sick, watched and they even performed miracles and because their hearts were hardened, they didn't recognize Him and the words that Jesus spoke to them were dull to their hearing. However, God at the end of the conversation opened their eyes and their understanding.

It is grievous when one doesn't quite "get it" and that is okay, God would have us feel that way as it shows that we love the brethren. But God was merciful to those men whom Jesus was speaking to. Because they didn't understand or hear the word readily, that doesn't mean that they have been cast off. If we took an inventory of our lives, we would see areas that we have shut God off of. That is why David said, "See if there be any wicked way in me". I say it this way, "I KNOW there are wicked ways in me". Not every one is born strong, and there are those who are the weakest among us and they are the most strongest. Weak as far as this world is concerned and strong in the wisdom of God. It's far better to deal with a sinner than a hypocrite.

I am firmly convinced that when the wave of God's Spirit flows over the land, those that we think of as carnal Christians will embrace God's covering readily. The hypocrite and those that think that carnal Christians don't deserve God's mercy and grace, will not. But even to the hypocrite God is merciful.

2010/1/24 11:01
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

There is a bondage to entertainment that I think is very real. It is just like bondage to any other part of our flesh, and we have a very hard time coming to grips with God's desire that we be in bondage to nothing.

A young married man in our congregation was very much involved in a role-playing video game. According to him he spent up to 4 hours a day playing this game. God really began to deal with him on the issue, one of a list of issues that God has dealt with in his life. He loves to play guitar and drums, and had a great desire to write worship music. One day as we were worshiping in our fellowship the Lord spoke to him very plainly. He said, If you spent the time with Me that you spend with that video game, you could be anointed to write songs to me like you have longed to do. He struggled with this, and eventually obeyed. He went into the game and deleted everything he had saved, and then cancelled his subscription. He did not know what do to with himself. It was as though he had cut off a limb and had to learn to live without it. He has shared with me that his marriage, which was very strained, is now on the mend. He is finally free from that addiction much like the freedom he experienced when he obeyed God and broke the nicotine habit forever. He is growing, and we all notice a great difference in Him. He was more comfortable being a fictitious character than he was spending time with real brothers and sisters in Christ, but that is changing.

I think that movie and entertainment addiction is real. It is something other than God that has our heart. It leads to all kinds of compromise in our hearts and minds. I have found myself praying that this desire for entertainment be broken in peoples lives. Nothing sinful about movies, just about the content in most of them and of being in bondage to them.

Travis

2010/1/24 13:23Profile
bible4life

Locport, Illinois

Re:

amen

2010/1/24 14:01Profile

Re:

Quote:
He said, If you spent the time with Me that you spend with that video game, you could be anointed to write songs to me like you have longed to do. He struggled with this, and eventually obeyed

Amen!

That goes for about anything that is in the way of moving forward in God.

2010/1/24 15:14
ADisciple

Alberta, Canada

Re:

Quote:
There is a bondage to entertainment that I think is very real.

If we Christians would do the will of God concerning movies-- and just stop feeding on them completely-- we would severely shake Hollywood.

But alas, we love our idols don't we.

I recall reading years ago a message by I think it was Leonard Ravenhill-- comparing entertainment with the joy of the Lord.

And there IS no comparison is what he was driving at.

It's just that the price tag on the Joy of the Lord is pretty steep. We'd rather shell out a few bucks and be entertained instead. Maybe it's not the real thing, but at least it's easier.

In my own case I don't watch TV. Although I have watched a few videos over the years with the family, things like Ben Hur.

But I haven't been to a movie house since... I think it was 1972 or thereabouts.

Haven't seen any of the great Must Sees. Haven't seen Titanic. And no, haven't seen The Passion either.

2010/1/24 15:43Profile
dspks

Dakotas

A good resource: http://www.crossroad.to/Quotes/spirituality/lighthousetrails/010/1-avatar.htm

2010/1/24 16:05Profile
bible4life

Locport, Illinois

Re:

amen adisciple

2010/1/24 17:08Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy