SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Miracles that follow the plow : Guidance In Ministry

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
hoohoou

Texas

Guidance In Ministry

I began a young adult group at the church I attend about 8 months ago. My wife and I know that we are in God's will, but things just don't seem to be going well. We have a wed. night bible study and a Friday night worship service. Both are having trouble getting off the ground. We just need prayer that the Holy Spirit will come and move us. Move us and the young people at the church and the surrounding area. I really feel God is in this but I'm getting a little down about it. I want so bad for it to be well attended, as that will be a sign that God is working on the hearts of young people, but I refuse to give in to marketing strategies. And that's where I need prayer. I want it to be a thriving ministry, and I do not want to manufacture it, but I'm finding myself tempted to try to do it myself. I want it to be the byproduct of the Holy Spirit and not man, but it is difficult sometimes. Please pray that 1. The Holy Spirit will have His way, 2. I will stay out of it, and 3. Pride will not be an issue in any way. Thank you.

2010/1/22 14:34Profile
Goldminer

Alabama

Re: Guidance In Ministry

It would seem it will be few in number for most things that try to adhere to the guidlines you have shared. Quality is much better then quantity.

I will pray

2010/1/22 16:22Profile
sojourner7

Omaha, NE

Those are excellent guidelines; but you need to
pray for an understanding heart that you may
realize the dreams, fears, needs, and worries
of the young folk you are going to minister to!!

2010/1/22 17:55Profile
dohzman

couple of things

1Co 3:6 I have planted, Apollos watered; but God gave the increase.

Jesus chose 12 and it took Him almost a full year before He had his 12, Matthew being the last. You can't build anything unless you have a core group of people committed to the same vision that the Lord has placed into your heart, Amo 3:3 Can two walk together, except they be agreed? Alittle out of context(forgive me) but the principle is the same here. What is your mission statement here? Than there's dicipleship. Don't look at the results, let Jesus build "His Church" as He sees fit, be content to minister to those that the Lord has given into your care. There are regular times when the Lord looks at or recons with his servants and determines the increase based on thier faithfulness, so keep on keeping on and just remain faithful. Rember bigger isn't better it's just more. So walk in faith keeping your eyes on Jesus and not results.

2010/1/22 18:02Profile
hoohoou

Texas

Thanks to everyone who responded and your prayers. Sometimes you know things but it takes a little push to motivate you to keep going. Thanks.

2010/1/29 9:59Profile

Re: Guidance in Ministry

Now I've read the preceding good replies, I would add this: that you pray very faithfully for the kids that do come, and that you help them focus on going through with God for themselves.

Let it not be so much about having had a 'fun' time, but about having been individually [i]real[/i] with God - including you and your wife (although I know there is a necessary distance to be kept).

Don't be afraid being involved in their lives outside church. Help them pray their issues through, and learn how to encourage one another by following your example of not just glossing over their pains or worries, but by using all as an opportunity to turn to God - especially when you feel particularly helpless!

Lastly, if you are really approachable, they will tell you their worst secrets, to make sure you still accept them, and you will need wisdom to walk them through how they should bring these things to God (or, indeed, civil authorities if that is appropriate, as well as God). Don't be afraid to show some of your true feelings (eg of sorrow, compassion, or anger), if they have been seriously disrespected or violated, as it's very healing for them to know that [i]you[/i] validate them. That's a good start, but, that's not the whole answer, as restoration, healing, forgiveness, repentance and patience, all play a part in being known by God better than we know ourselves, and finding His acceptance at the deepest places of our need.

Some verses in John 17 seem relevant, but over all remain (amongst many other New Testament verses) Psa 127:1 and 2 Cor 3:18.

2010/1/30 8:07

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy