SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : 5 types of christians by Paris Reidhead

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
bible4life
Member



Joined: 2009/1/21
Posts: 1559
Locport, Illinois

 5 types of christians by Paris Reidhead

1) Those who have met the "forgiving Christ." That is, they have "accepted Jesus" primarily to escape hell, suffering, and punishment.
2) Those who have met the "utilitarian Christ." That is, they have found that God can help them get what they need -- their whole interest in Christianity is that they should be taken care of by faith.
3) Those who have met the "status-giving Christ." These have joined the Church because they wanted fellowship and to be around the people. Position within the group is also typically very important within this group, and any achievement is hailed as part of the "glory of God."
4) Those who have met the "emotion-satisfying Christ." Their whole purpose in Christianity and religion is to satisfy their emotional needs. They look for everything that will make them laugh, cry, or both.
5) Those "who have met the Holy God and the Sovereign Christ." They have seen their terrible sinfulness and have known forgiveness, their prayers have been answered, they have found status as God's Children, and they have been filled with the Joy of God. But in addition to all this, this group is living only for God's glory and to walk according to the Cross. Only this fifth group is the true Church of God.


_________________
John Beechy

 2010/1/22 5:15Profile









 Re: 5 types of christians by Paris Reidhead

Quote:
1) Those who have met the "forgiving Christ." That is, they have "accepted Jesus" primarily to escape hell, suffering, and punishment.

Luke 12:5 "But I will forewarn you whom ye shall fear: Fear him, which after he hath killed hath power to cast into hell; yea, I say unto you, Fear him.

Sounds like a good primary place to avoid!

Quote:
2) Those who have met the "utilitarian Christ." That is, they have found that God can help them get what they need -- their whole interest in Christianity is that they should be taken care of by faith.

Romans 1:17 "For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith.

Eph 3:20 "Now unto him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that worketh in us."

Matthew 6:8 "Be not ye therefore like unto them: for your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask him."

Hebrews 4:16 "Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.

Amen!

Quote:
3) Those who have met the "status-giving Christ." These have joined the Church because they wanted fellowship and to be around the people. Position within the group is also typically very important within this group, and any achievement is hailed as part of the "glory of God."



Luke 3:8 "Bring forth therefore fruits worthy of repentance, and begin not to say within yourselves, We have Abraham to our father: for I say unto you, That God is able of these stones to raise up children unto Abraham.

Proverbs 11:1 "A false balance is abomination to the LORD: but a just weight is his delight.

Matt 23:15 "Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye compass sea and land to make one proselyte, and when he is made, ye make him twofold more the child of hell than yourselves.

Ugh!

Quote:
4) Those who have met the "emotion-satisfying Christ." Their whole purpose in Christianity and religion is to satisfy their emotional needs. They look for everything that will make them laugh, cry, or both.



??

Quote:
5) Those "who have met the Holy God and the Sovereign Christ." They have seen their terrible sinfulness and have known forgiveness, their prayers have been answered, they have found status as God's Children, and they have been filled with the Joy of God. But in addition to all this, this group is living only for God's glory and to walk according to the Cross. Only this fifth group is the true Church of God.



Amen!

 2010/1/22 8:27
Areadymind
Member



Joined: 2009/5/15
Posts: 1042
Pacific Ocean

 Re: 5 types of christians by Paris Reidhead

Was this from a sermon he did?


_________________
Jeremiah Dusenberry

 2010/1/22 10:48Profile
Giggles
Member



Joined: 2009/12/12
Posts: 592


 Re:

Quote:
Was this from a sermon he did?



It is. I can't remember which one but it is on this compilation:

[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/singlefile.php?lid=13118&commentView=itemComments]All to Jesus[/url]

Slide it to the 16 minute mark and there it is.


_________________
Paul

 2010/1/22 10:58Profile
JS
Member



Joined: 2009/11/23
Posts: 32
Behind a Computer Desk

 Re:

This is from Reidheid's sermon "If You Agree." The link on this website is [url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/singlefile.php?lid=1507&commentView=itemComments]here[/url].

 2010/1/22 21:08Profile
Areadymind
Member



Joined: 2009/5/15
Posts: 1042
Pacific Ocean

 Re:

Thank you JS, just listened to it.

I am cautious about commenting on this sermon until I have prayed about it. Thank you for the link.


_________________
Jeremiah Dusenberry

 2010/1/25 11:06Profile
JS
Member



Joined: 2009/11/23
Posts: 32
Behind a Computer Desk

 Re:

Paris Reidhead seems to talk about church history a lot, especially those times when Wesley and Spurgeon ministered, "keeping England out of the abyss into which France fell." Something important that Wesley did was to have bible studies meetings at four o'clock each morning, and this idea influenced me so that I now rise early in the morning to study the Word, as was the case with those class meetings. In pastor Reidhead's sermons, I find a type of expository preaching that helps me understand better the contents of the Word which the Lord has given us.

 2010/1/26 7:59Profile
Areadymind
Member



Joined: 2009/5/15
Posts: 1042
Pacific Ocean

 Re:

I too love listening to His sermons enormously, I just do not want to agree with what he says without being in the fifth group. I don't want to be a hypocrite.


_________________
Jeremiah Dusenberry

 2010/1/26 10:29Profile
Giggles
Member



Joined: 2009/12/12
Posts: 592


 Re:

It's interesting JS, Wesley started attending (and eventually leading) those meetings about 6 years before what he call his conversion, that famous Aldersgate experience where his heart was "strangely warmed."

John, his brother Charles, Geroge Whitefield, and others lived very disciplined religious lives in the Holy Club: fasting Wednesdays and Fridays, open confession of sins, and 4 AM Bible studies, among other things...all done from a purely aesthetic standpoint.


_________________
Paul

 2010/1/26 11:02Profile
Areadymind
Member



Joined: 2009/5/15
Posts: 1042
Pacific Ocean

 Re:

After thinking and praying I find that I completely agree with Brother Reidhead with my mind, I have said very similar things for the last few years of my walk.

Here is the rub for me though. I feel sometimes that my mind is miles ahead of my heart. Does anyone else relate to that?
As far as this sermon goes, I wonder sometimes if my head-nodding in agreement to what he said is far less than what is required. God help me.


_________________
Jeremiah Dusenberry

 2010/1/27 15:31Profile





©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy