SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Others Can, You Cannot

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Giggles

Others Can, You Cannot

You may have heard Paul Washer mention a tract he was once sent by Leonard Ravenhill...

OTHERS MAY: You CANNOT
-by G.D. Watson.

If God has called you to be really like Jesus He will draw you into a life of crucifixion and humility, and put upon you such demands of obedience, that you will not be able to follow other people, or measure yourself by other Christians, and in many ways He will seem to let other people do things which He will not let you do.

Other Christians and ministers who seem very religious and useful, may push themselves, pull wires, and work schemes to carry out their plans, but you cannot do it, and if you attempt it, you will meet with such failure and rebuke from the Lord as to make you sorely penitent.

Others may boast of themselves, of their work, of their successes, of their writings, but the Holy Spirit will not allow you to do any such thing, and if you begin it, He will lead you into some deep mortification that will make you despise yourself and all your good works.

Others may be allowed to succeed in making money, or may have a legacy left to them, but it is likely God will keep you poor, because He wants you to have something far better than gold, namely, a helpless dependence upon Him, that He may have the privilege of supplying your needs day by day out of an unseen treasury.

The Lord may let others be honored and put forward, and keep you hidden in obscurity, because He wants to produce some choice fragrant fruit for His coming glory, which can only be produced in the shade. He may let others be great, but keep you small. He may let others do a work for Him and get the credit for it, but He will make you work and toil on without knowing how much you are doing; and then to make your work still more precious He may let
others get credit for the work which you have done, and thus make YOUR REWARD TEN TIMES GREATER when JESUS COMES.

The Holy Spirit will put a strict watch over you, with a jealous love, and will rebuke you for little words and feelings or for wasting your time, which other Christians never feel distressed over. So make up your mind that God is an Infinitely Sovereign Being, and has a right to do as He pleases with His own. He may not explain to you a thousand things which puzzle your reason in His dealings with you, but if you absolutely sell yourself to be His love slave, He will wrap you up in Jealous Love, and bestow upon you many blessings which come only to those who are in the inner circle.

Settle it forever, then that you are to DEAL DIRECTLY WITH the HOLY SPIRIT, and that He is to have the privilege of tying your tongue, or chaining your hand, or closing your eyes, in ways that He does not seem to use with others. Now, when you are so possessed with the living God that you are, in your secret heart, pleased and delighted over this PECULIAR, PERSONAL, PRIVATE, JEALOUS GUARDIANSHIP and MANAGEMENT OF the HOLY SPIRIT OVER YOUR LIFE, then you will have found the vestibule of Heaven.

-G.D.Watson (1845-1924).
SOURCE: Faith, Prayer, & Tract League,
Tract #76; Grand Rapids, MI 49504.

2010/1/20 13:51Profile

Re: Others Can, You Cannot

My only problem with things like this that make distintions between "types" of christians is that it just does not seem biblical.

Jesus said "If any man..." which means, whoever comes after Him, whoever belongs to Him, the Cross will be that person's reality.

So I do not believe that some can and others can't...there are not regular christians and really holy set apart christians. If we are His then we are saved by grace and we are all receiving a kingdom through much tribulation.

2010/1/20 15:27
Giggles

Re:

Quote:
My only problem with things like this that make distintions between "types" of christians is that it just does not seem biblical.

Jesus said "If any man..." which means, whoever comes after Him, whoever belongs to Him, the Cross will be that person's reality.

So I do not believe that some can and others can't...there are not regular christians and really holy set apart christians. If we are His then we are saved by grace and we are all receiving a kingdom through much tribulation.

I totally understand what you're saying and agree 100%. I read this and took it as more of a higher ministerial calling, like the Nazarites had...or more specifically, like Paul demonstrated throughout his ministry and testified of it repeatedly in his epistels. Here, from 1 Cor. 9:

1 Am I not an apostle? Am I not free? Have I not seen Jesus Christ our Lord? Are you not my work in the Lord? 2 If I am not an apostle to others, yet doubtless I am to you. For you are the seal of my apostleship in the Lord.
3 My defense to those who examine me is this:

--->4 Do we have no right to eat and drink?
--->5 Do we have no right to take along a believing wife, as do also the other apostles, the brothers of the Lord, and Cephas? 6 Or is it only Barnabas and I who have no right to refrain from working?

7 Who ever goes to war at his own expense? Who plants a vineyard and does not eat of its fruit? Or who tends a flock and does not drink of the milk of the flock?
8 Do I say these things as a mere man? Or does not the law say the same also? 9 For it is written in the law of Moses, “You shall not muzzle an ox while it treads out the grain.” Is it oxen God is concerned about? 10 Or does He say it altogether for our sakes? For our sakes, no doubt, this is written, that he who plows should plow in hope, and he who threshes in hope should be partaker of his hope. 11 If we have sown spiritual things for you, is it a great thing if we reap your material things?

--->12 If others are partakers of this right over you, are we not even more? Nevertheless we have not used this right, but endure all things lest we hinder the gospel of Christ. 13 Do you not know that those who minister the holy things eat of the things of the temple, and those who serve at the altar partake of the offerings of the altar? 14 Even so the Lord has commanded that those who preach the gospel should live from the gospel.

--->15 But I have used none of these things, nor have I written these things that it should be done so to me; for it would be better for me to die than that anyone should make my boasting void. 16 For if I preach the gospel, I have nothing to boast of, for necessity is laid upon me; yes, woe is me if I do not preach the gospel! 17 For if I do this willingly, I have a reward; but if against my will, I have been entrusted with a stewardship. 18 What is my reward then? That when I preach the gospel, I may present the gospel of Christ without charge, that I may not abuse my authority in the gospel.

--->19 For though I am free from all men, I have made myself a servant to all, that I might win the more; 20 and to the Jews I became as a Jew, that I might win Jews; to those who are under the law, as under the law, that I might win those who are under the law; 21 to those who are without law, as without law (not being without law toward God, but under law toward Christ), that I might win those who are without law; 22 to the weak I became as weak, that I might win the weak. I have become all things to all men, that I might by all means save some. 23 Now this I do for the gospel’s sake, that I may be partaker of it with you.

24 Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may obtain it. 25 And everyone who competes for the prize is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a perishable crown, but we for an imperishable crown. 26 Therefore I run thus: not with uncertainty. Thus I fight: not as one who beats the air.

--->27 But I discipline my body and bring it into subjection, lest, when I have preached to others, I myself should become disqualified.

I think Paul did demonstrate a peculiar lifestyle that was a cut above others. He refused even his privileges and rights as an apostle to display Christ to the utmost. I hope that makes sense. I am in no way posting this to make a disctinction between "holy" Christians and "carnal" Christians. All Christians look like new creations and act accordingly so that the world knows that though they are in this world, they are not of it.

2010/1/20 17:14Profile

Re:

Yeah, you're right, in that context it makes sense.

2010/1/20 17:38

to buy it

[url=http://tractleague.com/tracts/others-may-you-cannot-70]'Others May, You Cannot' no. 76[/url]

2010/1/20 19:29
Jayman1276

Re: others can, you cannot

I don't believe Watson was speaking of other genuinely converted Christians in that text. There are maturity levels in the Christian walk and we are all at different levels of our sanctification. I cannot do some things that others can because I have been brought by Grace to a point that I despise certain things that others bask in. In retrospect there are things that I easily do that you may not. May we all finish well.

2010/2/1 22:51Profile
Goldminer

Alabama

Re: Others Can, You Cannot

It seems to me he is speaking about the individual way he leads us. He didn't comdemn one for being led another way than the one he was speaking of, just being a willing vessel or bondslave to the One who chooses our paths.

The real question is are we following Him in the path He leads us on. He may require totally different things because of His use for the vessel. It is all about obedience to what He is speaking to each of us individually.

What is sin or disallowed to us may never have been revealed to another person as of yet, but we have to follow the road of obedience to the will of God revealed to us regardless of what someone else does. It may be OK for them but not for me because God told me no.

2010/2/1 23:22Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy