SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Women traveling alone??

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Ceri, you wrote has has been on my mind ever since I read this post. It has been bothering me and I finally decided I am going to come back and share more on this issue. But you beat me to it! Ceri, all I can say to your post is AMEN!

Now, I will share a bit more, most of it will be testimonial, hoping that someone can learn from it.

I get rattled when females are paranoid about their personal safety. I grew up with this mindset and so I was paranoid as well - I was afraid to do a lot of things because of what just might happen. I deprived myself of a lot of wonderful experiences all because I was afraid. Scripture tells us that God has not given us the spirit of fear but of a sound mind. Think about that for a while! If God did not give it, where does it come from? Certainly not from God, since this is the case, one is playing into the hand of the Enemy of our souls. Fear prevents one from developing trust in our God and Savior. It stymies faith as well.

If a godly woman acts and lives accordingly, you have nothing to fear. If you live like this and know that fear is healthy but only in the context of reality, you will know that if you do experience it, God is warning you to take extra precautions.

MaryJane, since I have learned this, I come to enjoy life much more, do things that scare many females. When I tell them what I love to do and that there is no fear, they are bewildered...

Or, have you considered Mary, the mother of Jesus? Remember how she left her home and traveled to see her cousin Elizabeth? Scripture does not tell us that she had a traveling companion - it implies she traveled alone. And God was with her...

MaryJane, I suspect fear happens when a person is living outside the will of God. This is the short of the long. One has not learned to trust Him. One does not need carnal weapons to protect herself either. Last Monday a woman in our community was shot and killed by her estranged boyfriend. He had been harassing her and she reported him to the police. They came out, looking for him and then after they left, he came, got into the house and took her guns and killed her, her son and then himself. Ownership of weapons will not protect you either.

God bless you, MaryJane, as you sort through these issues and may your family learn to know what it means to trust the LORD for your personal safety. I often times pray for my personal safety if I am going to travel a distance by myself and we do also before we go traveling a distance - we have a word of prayer asking God for traveling mercies.

Blessings,
ginnyrose

2010/1/24 21:45Profile
MaryJane

Re:

Greetings Ceri

Thank you for your reply. I appreciate the thoughts that you shared. It is interesting to hear how things work in Britain as opposed to here in the US when a woman finds herself stranded. Here in this country we do not have cameras on many of our roads. At least not where I live so it is nice to have one or two others with me if it works out that I can, especially after dark. I do agree that we must trust in the Lord in all things and of course He does cover us whether we are alone or in a crowd. I will admit I rather enjoy the company when others can come along. I have had some times of wonderful fellowship and sharing about Jesus during trips to the grocery store or to run and errand so for me when the teaching spoke of two or more being gathered I really got that part:) There are times however when this is not possible for others to come along and I must go alone.

You are right young men are vulnerable as well. There is actually more to this teaching that addresses that issue as well, of how we can help one another be accountable by not always trying to go it alone.

As for this teaching being extreme, I do not make it into a law that I must live by but I have learned some really good things from it and am seeing that their are many of my own attitudes that I have held on to that are not Biblical. Submitting and learning to die to self in some of these areas of my life have been very challenging but as I do I am growing in the Lord. It really has been a very good process for me in learning what it means to trust and have faith in Him and not having to be afraid or feel like I have to be independent all the time. I take from it what the Lord has for me:)

Thank you again for sharing with me.

God Bless
mj

2010/1/24 21:49Profile
MaryJane

Re:

Greetings Ginnyrose

Thanks for sharing this with me. As I mentioned in my pm this was not just about myself. Its interesting the more I have been praying about this and seeking God on this the more I realize for me this has little to do with fear but a lot more to do with issues in my heart concerning past attitudes. I think because my dad was always gone and my mom had to do so much on her own(forced into his role) I picked up some of those traits and habits. Some of these attitudes have cause real struggles in my marriage at times because I took on roles and assumed authority when I should not have. For instance when the article talked about how some times these attitudes can effect ones marriage that really struck a nerve with me. Even just a year ago if my husband had asked me not to go alone to take someone with me to the grocery store I would have become offended and told him how capable I was to be on my own. Now I see that I do not have to have that heart and that I can in love submit in some of these areas to what my husband is asking with out feeling like I have something to prove.
Hopefully this is making sense:)

We do pray also for safety when we travel. I also agree that having a weapon in the house will not insure that you are safe either. In fact I have had some very close calls at times that have me convinced that I do not want a weapon in my home.

God Bless
mj

2010/1/24 22:13Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

MaryJane,

I understand that all of us have issues to deal with as a result of our upbringing. In my case it was one of fear and how I had to overcome it.

I was also taught to obey and for the most part this is not difficult. My dad first and later my husband have me work as a go-fer - I have had to run all over to get things for them. Several times my husband asked me to go to Birmingham - 3 hours away - to get something that he desperately needs and I went alone.

Submission? One is always learning - I am not sure if one will ever learn to be absolutely perfect in this area. This is the problem that dogs wives; for the brethren it is to love their wives. One preacher says that if a husband would love his wife as Christ loved the church and gave himself for it, the wife would not have such a big problem with submission! In any case, the devil will find a loophole somewhere to foul things up.

Yes, we all find ourselves in different situations and it is from those that we learn.

You are doing well, I think, MJ.

Blessings,
ginnyrose

2010/1/24 22:29Profile
HeartSong

Re:

For what it is worth, I love traveling alone. The Lord always draws nearer when my focus is completely on Him, and traveling affords this as there are not any interruptions or distractions. It is always an adventure with Him. It has become even more of an adventure as He is teaching me to lay aside all of my wants and desires and to trust completely in Him.

Maybe someday He will give me a traveling companion that desires to follow Him all things. That would be a great blessing I think. As far as fear - the only thing that we are to fear is the Lord. Cameras, police officers, weapons all become useless with Him as our protector. I am not saying that He will not use them, but they are not necessary. He is all that we need.

2010/1/24 23:17Profile
rainydaygirl

Re:

Decided that it was not fair to go off topic with my post so I deleted it. At this time I do not really have any thoughts to add to this discussion except to say that I liked the teaching shared and I think all the comments made have been interesting.

in Him
rdg

2010/1/24 23:54Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy