SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Women traveling alone??

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
MaryJane

Women traveling alone??

Greetings

I am wondering what those here think of a young woman traveling alone. For safety reasons there are issues and concerns I believe. Another sister was sharing with me that women should never travel alone, especially young women. That at least another sister and brother should go along, that they should travel in groups for many different reasons. Here is just a small portion of the article.

SO, what if your wife has a flat tire on the road? Wouldn’t you be THRILLED if a brother was driving right behind her to change it, instead of the first stranger that comes along? That’s GOT to be obvious. And a sister in the car with her—wouldn’t that be FAR superior to her being alone? And, the LOSS spiritually (“Where TWO OR THREE are—there I AM”) of not having people with you to pray or when you’re sharing Jesus, or to talk, or to help you see your areas of grievance to God in your life that you are blind to?

If God was right in 1 Corinthians 11 as we suppose He usually is, then man is the head of woman, AS Christ is the head of man. Would YOU want to go through life without JESUS there with you in the challenging times? Then IF we believe 1 Corinthians 11, why would we ever want to put women into an environment loaded with variables, and ask them to “be big and handle it”? SURE, they will statistically survive it, in all likelihood, but the fruit of doing things men’s way is always bad. Women become more masculine as they are put into roles that they should not be in, and identity crisis and conflicts in the home and dangerous things happen a thousand times more often than they would have if we were building properly. Russian Roulette. Not everyone dies—but someone will eventually. And their blood is on your hands if you have built foolishly. I have some blood on my hands from years ago, and my stupidity, and I can name a woman or two that are DEAD because my thinking was influenced by the patterns of the world, and not by God during those times on that subject. That’s only a small part of the reason that the men ought to cover and protect the sisters and children traveling around on their own and watching out for them in public places.

The MAIN reason a brother ought to care for a woman has to do with this: Do you ever see a man open a car door for a woman? Do you scoff at that? No. No one scoffs. They say, “Awww, isn’t that nice.” They like it. There’s something about it that people like—Chivalry isn’t dead afterall! Why do you put your coat down over a mud puddle for a woman to step across? Is it because she’s going to drown? Because she’s not strong enough to do it herself? Why do even the pagans know that you lay your coat down over the mud, rather than to let a true lady get her shoes dirty? There is an issue in the Spiritual realm that is not in essence about “safety” at all!! That IS an issue, but there is something MUCH deeper. Now SOME would never ever care to open a car door for a woman, and not that it should happen every time for things to be in order anyway. But some would NEVER do it, or THINK about doing it for a woman. I would have to suggest, or rather declare, that such a person does not have a sense of God in their hearts, in a whole realm that is immensely personal and important to God. If we would open a door for a woman, or help her with her chair or her coat—then the principle should be easily obvious that something a thousand times larger (like sending them down into a bad neighborhood) would matter far more than a car door.

It is a principle buried deep within the heart of God that we CARE FOR OUR WOMEN! They may not NEED the car door opened for them, but it is RIGHT in the Spirit to treat them like queens and princesses! It is a test of OUR characters to treat them lavishly and with sensitivity, and it is important for THEM also to not be forced to be masculine and lose the preciousness that God intended for them in His Pattern. There’s something about honoring her that is in God’s heart. He honors His Woman, His Bride. He’d die for her. He DID die for her! That’s the ultimate in chivalrous acts, wouldn’t you say? In the stuff of life is the place to reflect the deep love of the Son for His Bride. We were MADE for that. We reflect that love and kindness and consideration of Jesus that He has for his Bride. We care for her as he cares for his woman. We were made to reflect the love of Jesus to those around us.

I will admit that while I am really trying to die to self in some of these areas this is a difficult teaching for me, but I do not want to miss what the Lord might have for me in this. I hope to hear what the Lord is showing some others here on this?

God bless
mj

2010/1/19 13:05Profile
Joyful_Heart

Re: Women traveling alone??

Well, if the Lord would tell me to go and do - I would be confident that I was not alone. The Lord is always with me. The only time I should be concerned is if I was going out of God's will. When the Lord sends, He equips, protects and guides. He is so awesome and so faithful. We should not live in fear but in the knowledge He is constantly looking out for our best. He will bring Divine intervention where needed. I have been a young traveler alone and with children and as I look back I see God's hand on my travels even before I was saved. Nothing is impossible with God. Now, don't be foolish either but seek the Lord for His will and His guidance and He will direct our paths. He loves it when we ask and believe Him. Amen - Sheri

2010/1/19 13:56Profile
MaryJane

Re:

Greetings Sheri

I appreciate your heart on this and what you shared. I agree that if the Lord is leading us to do something or go to a certain place that He will be there with us:)

God Bless
mj

Edited: Was not sure if what I shared came across as I intended it to so I thought perhaps I should pray on it.

2010/1/19 14:21Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

MaryJaner asked:

Quote:
I am wondering what those here think of a young woman traveling alone

I am not aware of any scripture that would prohibit a woman traveling alone. To suggest that it is implied in 1 Corinthians 11 is a stretch. I have never heard of this idea and I am one who wears a head-covering at all waking hours.

1 Corinthians 11:1-16 is talking about headship and what the woman should do when she recognizes this chain of authority.

In my experience the females who will explain this concept away are the most paranoid people I know - paranoid about their own personal safety.

MaryJane, this subject in the past has evoked a lot of discussion and it was not always 'friendly'. So, if you want, you can PM me and I would be happy to discuss this more in private.

Blessings,
ginnyrose

2010/1/19 20:40Profile
MaryJane

Re:

Greetings Ginnyrose

Thank your for your response I did pm you:)

God Bless
mj

2010/1/19 21:08Profile
Joyful_Heart

Re:

Mary Jane,

I re-read my post and I hope I didn't come across too strong. But when I re-read it - it could have come across that way. Yikes. Please forgive me if I did. I can see your a beautiful woman of God and of course you are of great faith - I was not so much thinking of you I was just sharing my experience and heart. Again, please forgive me. Much love in Jesus - Sheri.

2010/1/24 11:17Profile
White_Stone

North Central Florida

Re:

Dear Joyful Heart,

Quote:
The only time I should be concerned is if I was going out of God's will.

Amen to that, sister. As long as we are staying in the narrow path His Devine Providence covers us.

An example of how I see this in action:
As a child, I lived where show was a constant obstacle and skiing was a necessity to move from point A to point B. God covers this skiing as long as I do not use it for evil (as in going where He would not want me to go, or being prideful and thinking it was my skill as a skier that makes my safety possible)
I do not believe in recreational skiing for those that do not live in an area where it is necessitated. Or, if I may be moving to such an area and need to learn the skill to promote His work (as in missionary work)
Recreational skiing, involving airplane trips to a resort, should be obvious as 'worldly' occupations.

If it was necessary for me to get to the hospital or whatever and there was no one to accompany me - Psalm 23:4 . . .for Thou art with me, . . .

I do not believe you came across as too strong, it needed to be said. We are to learn from other Christian's examples and experiences.

White Stone

2010/1/24 11:48Profile
MaryJane

Re:

Greetings Sheri

No you did not come across as to strong with me:) I am just learning what it means to be a woman of God and there are some things in my own attitude He is showing me that are not of Him. There are some areas of submission that I have not fully grasped. There are many attitudes from my youth that can at times be a hindrance in my walk with Him. As I said I do agree that we need to have faith that if the Lord tells us to go or do something that in Him we can walk with full trust and confidence. I am also learning though that if there are others around me that the Lord is giving me to help me or even help keep me safe then I can and should submit myself in these areas also.

Hope this makes since:)

God Bless you sister and thank you for kind response
mj

2010/1/24 12:50Profile
Ceri

Notts. England.

Hi MaryJane
What concerns me about this article is that the writer states there is the blood of one or two women on his hands because of mistakes he has made. This is where you have to read between the lines of where he is coming from and why he is saying the things he is.
It seems to me that he is over-compensating for events in his past by wanting to wrap all women up in cotton wool like porcelain dolls.

Of course acts of chivalry are lovely although I've never had a man put his coat in the mud for me, I'd be greatly embarrased if that ever happened!
We don't need looking after constantly, being watched over everytime I left the house and was in public would drive me mad. The writer is too extreme.

Two great women travelers who come to my mind are Gladys Aylward, an amazing woman, sailed to China on her own and then treked across that country with a band of orphans to save their lives. Then, as I'm Welsh, I was brought up knowing about Mary Jones, a young teenage girl who walked 25 miles barefoot across the mountains of Wales alone - just to buy a bible. The result of her journey was the founding of the British and foreign Bible society.

The idea that a woman is at a loss spiritually for jouneying alone is beyond me, and the verse 'where two or three are gathered..there I am' does not fit this scenario at all and is twisting this scripture out of context. Doesn't the Lord promise to never leave nor forsake us? We carry His Spirit within us - we are never alone!

Of course we have to be wise and keep safe, but a fact I learned while working with the police is that it is young men who are a lot more likely to suffer attacks and violence on the streets rather than women.

A friend of mine, a Pastors wife has been bereaved for two years now and hit a milestone recently by driving herself to go on holiday alone. She phoned me so proud of herself that she had taken up the courage after 40 years of marriage and had gone out and done it, on her own!
She believes in the Lord's promise that He is a husband to the widow and is proving it.
She has since driven to many places around the country alone to visit old friends from the past.

In Britain breakdown companies prioritise women having problems alone in their vehicles and cameras cover most major roads. It would be unwise for a lone man to try to be chivalrous and stay with a woman in this situation, it will only add to her distress.

Please don't get wrapped all up in needless bondage over articles such as this - just live life! He came that you might have life and life more abundantly.

2010/1/24 19:54Profile
Joyful_Heart

Re:

Awww good Mary Jane. No one had said anything about my post but as I said I re-read it and I dont want to be in-sensitive to others.

I hear you about being a godly woman There is so much out there about us. I like the Scripture about working out our salvation.... I think the more we spend time in the Word, the more we speak His Word and fellowship with Him He will reveal all things to us. Sometimes I have experienced people so involved in telling me how to be a virtuous woman that it took their eyes off of becoming a godly person. Lol, but I think it is getting better these days.

I will pray the Lord continues to make us the way He wants us and we please Him and put a smile on His face. Your special ya know!!! He will reveal! Blessing continued! Sheri

2010/1/24 20:50Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy