Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : Let us continue to edify one another

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Jimm

Harare, ZIMBABWE

Let us continue to edify one another

Hello everyone

I am always greatly impressed, by the love and knowledge of biblical scriptures! This is something that is lacking in a great number of churches and as a result, many are led astray by the doctrines of man; notwithstanding…Over the past few weeks, I have noticed the glimmer of isolationism and self-reliance.

Let me begin by saying that, when we entered the body of Christ we gave up all, self rights and reliance and we became entirely dependent on God and on each other.

1 Corinthians 12: 14 For the body is not one member, but many. 15 If the foot shall say, Because I am not the hand, I am not of the body; is it therefore not of the body? 16 And if the ear shall say, Because I am not the eye, I am not of the body; is it therefore not of the body? 17 If the whole body were an eye, where were the hearing? If the whole were hearing, where were the smelling? 18 But now hath God set the members every one of them in the body, as it hath pleased him. 19 And if they were all one member, where were the body? 20 But now are they many members, yet but one body. 21 And the eye cannot say unto the hand, I have no need of thee: nor again the head to the feet, I have no need of you. 22 Nay, much more those members of the body, which seem to be more feeble, are necessary: 23 And those members of the body, which we think to be less honourable, upon these we bestow F44 more abundant honour; and our uncomely parts have more abundant comeliness. 24 For our comely parts have no need: but God hath tempered the body together, having given more abundant honour to that part which lacked: 25 That there should be no schism F45 in the body; but that the members should have the same care one for another. 26 And whether one member suffer, all the members suffer with it; or one member be honoured, all the members rejoice with it.

We are all intrinsically linked by the same Spirit and taught of the same Spirit however it must also be clear that unless you are an Apostle (and we are not) you cannot have all the gifts at your disposal. The apostles were mighty men with great knowledge and wisdom but even they differed in doctrine (for example Paul referred to his doctrine as “my gospel” 2 Titus 2:8) and were often edified by each other.

I realize that I may never know God the way any of you know him and in the same token none of you can ever know God the way I know him simply because were created to know him differently. Now if I am an eye, I can by no means make you (an ear) an eye although I can share the information I receive with you because we are all of the same head and you can share you information with me. No matter how much I experience God and study and pray and worship I will never receive information in the exact same way you do. For me (an eye) to receive information that pertains to hearing I must rely on you (the ear).

A great number of the comrades here are a fine resource of experience and selfless dedication to Christ. We can all learn from each other, and become like-minded according to the one Spirit and one love we all share, but still, let the nose be a nose and let the ear be an ear. Let us not elevate our position in Christ beyond measure, but as little Children let us embrace each other in love.

Romans 12:3 For I say, through the grace given unto me, to every man that is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think; but to think soberly, F50 according as God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith. 4 For as we have many members in one body, and all members have not the same office: 5 So we, being many, are one body in Christ, and every one members one of another. 6 Having then gifts differing according to the grace that is given to us, whether prophecy, let us prophesy according to the proportion of faith; 7 Or ministry, let us wait on our ministering: or he that teacheth, on teaching; 8 Or he that exhorteth, on exhortation: he that giveth, F51 let him do it with simplicity; he that ruleth, with diligence; he that sheweth mercy, with cheerfulness. 9 Let love be without dissimulation. Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good. 10 Be kindly affectioned one to another with brotherly love; in honour preferring one another; 11 Not slothful in business; fervent in spirit; serving the Lord; 12 Rejoicing in hope; patient in tribulation; continuing instant in prayer; 13 Distributing to the necessity of saints; given to hospitality.

In Christ

James

2004/10/5 20:40Profile
moreofHim

Re: Let us continue to edify one another

Dear James,

thank you for this reminder- and it's so easily accepted because of the grace with which you say it. it is always good to be reminded of what is important: JESUS. and our Christlikeness to others.

"By this all people will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another."

"Let nothing be done through selfish ambition or conceit, but in lowliness of mind let each esteem others better than himself." Phil. 2:3

In His perfect love, chanin

2004/10/5 21:53Profile
rocklife

usa

Well said! Thank you for the encouragements.

2004/10/6 0:34Profile
mloaks

So. MD, USA

Re:

Concur. Some of the other threads could use you people...

2004/10/6 11:15Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
A great number of the comrades here are a fine resource of experience and selfless dedication to Christ. We can all learn from each other, and become like-minded according to the one Spirit and one love we all share, but still, let the nose be a nose and let the ear be an ear. Let us not elevate our position in Christ beyond measure, but as little Children let us embrace each other in love.

Thank you brother James for your timely words. I hope people can continue in a heartfelt love towards each other as we strive to seek after truth and to a fuller revelation of Christ.

2004/10/6 11:23Profile
theevangelist

United States Of America

Re:

Yes, you all are right. And, honestely, I'm one of the guilty ones for getting too heated in the discussion and if I've offended any of you, I'm sorry. I've a lot learn and I'm thankful that there are people like you. You're very encouraging. God Bless You.

The Evangelist.

2004/10/6 11:29Profile
moreofHim

Re: edify one another

I cannot tell you how wonderful this forum has been as a witness and a working of the Holy spirit in me and in others who I have seen come through here.

This forum is unlike any other in that we all (for the most part) have treated each other with brotherly love and respect. Even when we disagree. This goes to show the maturity that the Lord has worked in His people who visit and dwell here.

There are many who come here who are in different stages of growth and though we may be repeating things or ideas which we have shared many times before (earlier in the year even) we must be patient and loving as to bring them along in love and kindness. I think that really shows here.

Greg, you and this site are to be commended for brotherly love, love in truth, and putting others before ourselves.

Though we don't always show this 100% of the time, we try and we get wonderful brothers and sisters who care and know our potential to chasten and remind.

I truly hope and believe that each new person that comes on here will not only get a taste of truth but also true Christlikeness in love. That they will know that there is truth here because of our love for one another and esteeming our brother(or sister) as better than ourselves.

Rock on, Greg and SI! (uhmmm, I mean continue on dear brother Greg ;-) )

In His perfect love, Chanin

edit: oops, I put "this forum is LIKE any other"- when I meant UNLIKE any other. I fixed that. :)

2004/10/6 11:39Profile
Spitfire

Hi Everyone. I agree with Chanin. This forum has come to me at a time in my life when I really needed some mature christian fellowship and I can't tell you how much it means to me everyday now. Thank you, Greg, for obeying God to pour yourself out in seeing SI continue. I'm sure it has cost you plenty, not only monetarily, but also emotionally and spiritually. I appreciate our brother's admonition to take care that we honor one another and treat each other with the love of Christ. I know, at times, I am so opinionated. People don't need our opinions, they need to know what God thinks. My thanks to all of you for putting up with me. I pray that, in the future, I may honor you with the love of Christ. You have become my online church family. Love, Dian.

2004/10/6 13:16Profile
Tears_of_joy

Re:

Many, I mean , many times I don't know what to say else than "Yes and Amen" for all these posts here and all open hearts here. So encouraging!
May God bless you all , and remember we are not cousins, but one family - brothers and sisters and our Father is the Maker of the heavens and the earth!

2004/10/6 13:22Profile
Jimm

Harare, ZIMBABWE

Amen fellow siblings!

Hello again.

I cannot express how much I have learnt both directly and directly from this…well, I was going to call it a “website”, but somehow this is more than a an inanimate collection of information. I almost feel as if the Spirit of God brooded over the individuals who come to fellowship, learn, and teach from and in the body of Christ. The execution is not always perfect but thankfully we serve a God who is not so concerned with how we serve him, but if we are well intentioned. (Hebrews 4:12 For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.)

Hearing the sermons from different preachers is so important because it is almost impossible for a single preacher to discern efficiently the entire bible. Different preachers have different revelations of truth and are invariably lacking in some areas. I used to equate the word “preacher” with lordship (for alack of batter words) but I am starting to learn that that is wrong.

Mathew23:8 But be not ye called Rabbi: for one is your Master, even Christ; and all ye are brethren. 9 And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven. 10 Neither be ye called masters: for one is your Master, even Christ. 11 But he that is greatest among you shall be your servant.

A preacher is a person who has the God-given ability to expound verbally on the truths of Jesus Christ with knowledge and wisdom according to his proportion of faith. We do not grow by hearing them but we grow by the grace of God according to the purposes of his will.

1 Corinthians 3:5-10 5 Who then is Paul, and who is Apollos, but ministers by whom ye believed, even as the Lord gave to every man? 6 I have planted, Apollos watered; but God gave the increase. 7 So then neither is he that planteth any thing, neither he that watereth; but God that giveth the increase. 8 Now he that planteth and he that watereth are one: and every man shall receive his own reward according to his own labour. 9 For we are labourers together with God: ye are God's husbandry, ye are God's building. 10 According to the grace of God which is given unto me, as a wise masterbuilder, I have laid the foundation, and another buildeth thereon. But let every man take heed how he buildeth thereupon.

Nevertheless, God has commissioned us to water and plant in each other the seeds of faith by exhortation and the words of our testimonies. To hear of these preachers who have dedicated their entire lives to God is a wonderful testimony and exhortation, but that in itself is not growth. Growth is in Christ and by the Father (John 15:1-2 1 I am the true vine, and my Father is the husbandman. 2 Every branch in me that beareth not fruit he taketh away: and every branch that beareth fruit, he purgeth it, that it may bring forth more fruit.)

Let us continued to look unto the author and finisher of our faith (Jesus Christ) and at the same time be open to the “planting” and “watering” of the seeds both in ourselves and in others, that God may be glorified in us when we bear fruit. (John 15:8 Herein is my Father glorified, that ye bear much fruit; so shall ye be my disciples.)

In Christ
James

2004/10/6 13:57Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy