SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : The Place Of Repentance In New Testament Preaching

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
docseth1

Valdosta, Ga

The Place Of Repentance In New Testament Preaching

1. It was John the Baptist’s first message:
“Repent: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.” Mt 3:2

2. It was Jesus’ first message:
“From that time Jesus began to preach, and to say, Repent: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.” Mt 4:17

“The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand: repent ye, and believe the gospel.” Mr 1:15

- It was His message to the sinner: “I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.” Lu 5:32

- It was Jesus’ last message to his disciples:
“Repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.” Lu 24:47

- It was one of Jesus’ last message: To the Church:
Ephesus – “Remember therefore from whence thou art fallen, and repent, and do the first works; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will remove thy candlestick out of his place, except thou repent.” Re 2:5

Pergamos – “Repent; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will fight against them with the sword of my mouth.” Re 2:16

Thyatira – “I gave her space to repent of her fornication; and she repented not. Behold, I will cast her into a bed, and them that commit adultery with her into great tribulation, except they repent of their deeds.” Re 2:21-22

Sardis – “Remember therefore how thou hast received and heard, and hold fast, and repent. If therefore thou shalt not watch, I will come on thee as a thief, and thou shalt not know what hour I will come upon thee.” Re 3:3

Laodicea – “As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent.” Re 3:19

3. It was the Disciples’ first message.
“And they went out, and preached that men should repent.” Mr 6:12

4. It was Peter’s first Pentecostal message.
“Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.” Ac 2:38

- It was Peter’s message to the unconverted as well. Notice also Ac 3:19: “Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord.”

- It was also Peter’s message to believers who had erred. “Repent therefore of this thy wickedness, and pray God, if perhaps the thought of thine heart may be forgiven thee.” Ac 8:22 (Notice Acts 8:13)

5. It Was Paul’s First Message
"Testifying both to the Jews, and also to the Greeks, repentance toward God, and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ." Acts 20:21

"[I] showed first unto them of Damascus, and at Jerusalem, and throughout all the coasts of Judaea, and [then] to the Gentiles, that they should repent and turn to God, and do works meet for repentance." Ac 26:20

- It was Paul’s Message to the sinner: “the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent:” Ac 17:30

Concluding Thoughts:
In light of the fact the every major New Testament figure preached repentance as if it were completely indispensable to the Christian faith, one could hardly call himself a preacher of the gospel if this doctrinal component were not a major apart of his message.

It is also important to recognize the divine call that was upon each of these men. They were called by God to preach the message of repentance. For John the Baptist, he was sent to prepare the way of the Lord. “Make your paths strait!!” he cried. This is yet another clue from the scripture that repentance is a necessary precursor for God’s presence. For Jesus, He claimed that He had been sent by God to call sinners to repentance. (Lk 5:32) The disciples were sent and commissioned to preach repentance by Jesus. Paul was also commissioned by Christ Himself on the road to Damascus.

These men did not preach the message of repentance just to be confrontational. No! They had each been called by God to do so. In John 12:49 Jesus said, “I have not spoken of myself; but the Father which sent me, he gave me a commandment, what I should say, and what I should speak.” Likewise, the disciples stated in Acts 4:20 “We cannot but speak the things which we have seen and heard.”

These were men who were prophets. Anyone can preach; a prophet however, speaks on God’s behalf. When a man takes on the burden and blessing of speaking for God, he also takes on the responsibility of faithfully communicating God’s word just as it was given to him. If we would speak for God, let us take upon ourselves this same burden and responsibility.

2010/1/15 20:11Profile
Aussiedler

GERMANY

Re: The Place Of Repentance In New Testament Preaching

This is a great compilation of scripture! I learned through Greg Violi and R. Edward Miller that it has to be REPENTANCE towards God and FAITH in Jesus Christ. In todays gospel the last part (faith) is emphasised and the first part (Repentance) is missing. But there has to be both: Faith without repentance is fake, repentance without faith leads into worldly sorrow.

Ed Miller used to say that repentance is a state you are living in daily, not a one time thing, that you do and then go on and forgetting about it.

we must not forget that even a man like daniel (of whom not one sin is recorded in the bible) did repent and confess his sins and the sins of his ancestors. there is always something we can repent for, if we cannot see this, it is only because we are not seeing Christ in all his glory.

When Isaia was seeing the Lord in all his glory, he was very quick to repent: Woe to me, for I am a man of unclean lips...

2010/1/16 12:34Profile
jimp

Re:

hi, i read a lot here about repentence from sin to be saved.if a sinner could turn away from sin he would not need a saviour.we must turn from self rule[die]and turn the rule over to Jesus.then the Holy Spirit convicts of sin and empowers us as we walk in the Spirit.jimp

2010/1/16 19:26Profile
Aussiedler

GERMANY

Re:

I don't think I'm getting what your saying (because I don't understand everything) but I know, that the sinner (and believer) has to do his part and that god has to do his part.

God/Holy Spirit does the conviction - I can't convict myself, that leads into worldy sorrow and death - and when I have conviction, I do the repenting. That is very easy theology, isn't it?

2010/1/17 11:27Profile
rufnrust

Indiana

Re: The Place Of Repentance In New Testament Preaching

Thomas Watson wrote that repentence is a spiritual medicine made up of 6 ingredients.

1. Sight of sin
2. Sorrow for sin
3. Confession of sin
4. Shame for sin
5. Hatred for sin
6. Turning from sin

If one is missing the medicine loses it's virtue. The deeper and more thorough each ingredient, the greater the freedom.

; from "The Doctrine of Repentence" by Thomas Watson

2010/1/17 13:42Profile
jimp

Re:

hi, before turning to Jesus' rule in life we are enemies of God as sinners and our hearts are wicked and stony.we can only surrender to the plea of the Holy Spirit to turn our lives over to Jesus[ repentance].then being born of the spirit we walk in the spirit and progressivly do not fullfil the lusts of the flesh.jimp remember Jesus has already dealt and defeated sin.the importance of the cross and what He did on it is lost in the sin centered teachings.we must present our bodies as living sacrifices;because we are born from above and that which is born of the spirit is spirit and of the flesh is flesh.

2010/1/17 18:53Profile
Aussiedler

GERMANY

Re:

"before turning to Jesus' rule in life we are enemies of God as sinners and our hearts are wicked and stony"

- Our hearts are still stony after the new birth. The Bible never teaches, that after the new birth is everything ok...

Repentance isn't a thing you do once in your life at conversion. repentance is something you do daily, weekly etc, and if you didn't have anything to repent in the last week, then you had probably no conviction and that means you are either perfect as jesus or your own heart is deceiving you...

THE CROSS WILL ONLY COVER WHAT YOU UNCOVER! (Duncan Campbell)

2010/1/26 9:15Profile

Re:

One of the best definitions of repentance can be found in Acts 16:31.

2010/1/26 9:41

Re:

Jesus replied, "I tell you the truth, everyone who sins is a slave to sin."

2010/1/26 11:55

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy