SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : A Great Concern: An Overdose of Sermons

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread

A Great Concern: An Overdose of Sermons

It's possible that many of us here may be hearing sermons or reading them, and yet not be impacted in any way by the Spirit of Christ. It is possible that we may be getting information second-hand and may be misconstruing it for divine revelation.

We need to come in direct contact with the Lord, in our personal devotions and our personal life & experience. There is a likelihood that hearing too many sermons can deaden the spirit. We can become like the Dead Sea, always receiving, and never giving out, somewhat like a stagnant pool.

It's so important to live the Christian life in a close walk with God in real-time experience, in real-time challenges to faith, in utter dependence on the Lord Jesus Christ.

{Wonder if anyone here feels this concern, as I do.}

2010/1/14 9:46
enid

Nottingham, England

Re: A Great Concern: An Overdose of Sermons

I don't know how to say it, other than, we can become somewhat like parasites, feeding off other people.

The Bible tells us in Philippians 2v12 to '...work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.'

Whilst there are benefits to listening to sermons, 'So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.', our salvation is based on our continuing relationship with the Lord Jesus Christ as our Saviour.

God bless.

2010/1/14 10:41Profile
Santana

Re:

This is a great post!! I was thinking about this the other day. Because I work in a cubicle, I just listen to many sermons all day. Plus I'm not a big fan of music.

But I was ready to hear another sermon and I stopped and thought: "Did I even process the previous sermon?"

2010/1/14 11:29Profile
sojourner7

Omaha, NE

If the gospel is to be an influence; it must
be believed, lived, and practiced !!

2010/1/14 12:12Profile
narrowpath

Germany NRW

Hello Pollux,

Amen - You are spot on! I feel a growing conviction that I will be hold accountable for all the god-inspired teaching that I heard but did not practise. We can be lulled into a false security that if listen to a lot of Washer, Katz, Poonen, Wilkerson, and Keith Daniel etc that you will follow their footsteps. A friend of mine had the same conviction earlier this week.

The pharisees thought they can get by having Abraham as their father and holding the prophets in honour. Jesus attested them that they were the devils children.

Are we doing the same with these preachers and our affiliation with movements and traditions that God blessed in the past? We should not listen to this wonderful preaching as a fix to cache our own spiritual emptiness, but rather as a supplement and enrichment of an existing rich walk with Christ.

2010/1/14 13:13Profile
Jeremy221

Re: Growth & Conviction

I have thought of this over the months since I was brought to SI but I think being in thus context where the Holy Spirit can lead very quickly to a sermon or particular teacher/preacher has been very beneficial. When I am brought to a sermon that convicts me about an area (or areas), my typical response is to ask God to make it real in my life. I have seen how the Lord has been teaching me about something He showed me earlier in sermons while opening my understanding to another area where He will soon be working.

There have been times where I had no witness within myself that this was something useful to me. In fact, the first I listened to Art Katz was such an experience. What has predicated these times has been seeking out teachers or authors that I enjoyed rather than following the leading of the Holy Spirit. If your learning is not guided by the Holy Spirit, take head because you are not seeking this knowledge in obedience to fulfill the Father's will.

Jeremy221

2010/1/14 15:24Profile

Re:

Santana, I think we need to meditate on the Scriptures ourselves and ask God to speak to us. Too much of second-hand 'knowledge' can be a dangerous thing.

Besides, more than sermons and stuff like that, the Lord teaches by experience, painful experience.

2010/1/14 20:48

Re:

I think, narrowpath, we have to be very careful in our listening to sermons. More important is to keep close to the Lord in our personal meditation of His word. Our quiet time with the Lord is precious.

Remember the Lord's words to Peter: 'You follow Me!' Stop looking at others & start walking with your eyes on the Lord on the narrow path He has set before you.

It is very possible to have an overdose of sermons and 'indulge in second-hand experience' (a snare & a delusion).

2010/1/14 20:52
nasekom

Dublin,Ireland

Re:

Quote:
We should not listen to this wonderful preaching as a fix to cache our own spiritual emptiness, but rather as a supplement and enrichment of an existing rich walk with Christ.

i agree with you here,narrowpath.

2010/1/14 20:55Profile
wind_blows

Re:

Hi there
I have been so blessed by some of the teachings on here and a few other sites. I think that God uses each of us to share with one another and to help us grow in Him each day. I have been reading this teaching that has really opened my eyes and helped me to grow in Him. I love the fact that we are all one body and in Him we function and He gives us His understanding and wisdom to share with one another!

Of course just reading anything and never walking in what the Lord has for you is not going to get you anywhere. In order to grow you must be willing to take what you have learned and walk by faith in Him:)

Quote:
Besides, more than sermons and stuff like that, the Lord teaches by experience, painful experience.

Wow pollux I do agree that there are times when God uses painful events in our lives to get our attention and to cause us to turn to Him, but I must share with you that I have also had the Lord teach me wonderful truths in times filled with joy and laughter. He is so awesome and faithful to give us such good and wonderful gifts. Some of the teaching right here on SI are true treasures and can be a real blessing.

With much love in Him

2010/1/14 21:04Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy