SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Do we give Satan too much credit??

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Richard365

USA

Do we give Satan too much credit??

It seems like everytime something bad happens to us, most people say that they are being attacked by Satan. Now, I'm not saying that he isn't the cause of most of our misery, but don't you think that God has a say in all of it? I mean, if God is in control, than what ever happens to us, is by His permission.

I say this because of what I see in Job. You all know the story, but Satan had to get permission from God to do what he did. The bible talks about hedges of protection around us, our family and our homes. So if Satan had to get permission to attack Job, wouldn't that be true for us today? What about 1 COR 10:13 in that God will not let us be tempted beyond our ability. Sounds like he's in control of the temptations Satan throws at us.

So if someone cuts me off in traffic and I get angry because of it...would I say Satan caused it? Maybe God allowed it, in order to show me the bitterness I have in my heart. What if I get diagnosed with a serious illness? Did Satan cause it, or is God trying to teach me something or someone else through that illness? If our Heavenly Father is the loving Father the Bible says...wouldn't it go to say that He will discipline us when we are not doing what we should do? So maybe the trials we face are God's way of teaching us how to be more like Christ. What about Apostle Paul and the thorn in his side? God would not heal him from it...and because why? The Lord wanted him to stay humble and dependant upon Him. So why wouldn't God do that to some of us?

I just believe that when something bad happens to me, that instead of jumping on the "Satan is attacking me" wagon, I want to ask the question, "Lord, what is it that your are trying to teach me?" Am I still proud in a certain area? Am I coveting possesions? Is there hidden bitterness to my wife and kids? In what areas am I still selfish? Am I seeking the praise of men?

Just my two cents and if you have any comments I'm open to them. God Bless.

2010/1/14 3:58Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

Re: Do we give Satan too much credit??

Just a couple of scriptures came to mind on reading this.

James 1v13, 'Let no one say when he is tempted, "I am tempted by God", for God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does He Himself tempt anyone.'

And on through to verse 15 which says, '...sin, when it is full grown, brings forth death.'

Also in 1 Peter 1v7 it says, 'that the genuiness of your faith, being much more precious than gold that perishes, though it is tested by fire, may be found to praise, honor, and glory at the revelation of Jesus Christ.'

Also, God warns us in 2 Cor 2v11, 'Lest satan should take advantage of us, for we are not ignorant of his devices.'

Our faith will be tested, and we might not know to what level God will allow the enemy to go in our lives before He steps in, as He did with Job.

Others will add their insights, no doubt.

God bless.

2010/1/14 5:04Profile
norton330

Re:

Just a thought or two. I wonder the same thing at times about others and myself, I am prone to blame the devil at times when it is me, but at the same time I am prone to blame myself or someone else when it is satan. Paul Washer said that satan attacks us and leaves us destitute and in despair and hurt, God brings conviction and joy that there will be change into His image. So I say test the spirits. I am currently undergoing a strong struggle and must test the spirits. One day I am tempted to blame it on me, others it will be satans fault. Truth be is that it's probably a bit of both. Sin opens doors for satan. If there is sin in our life, either unconfessed and unrepented sin or sin we have not let go of or sin that we have received forgiveness for but hold on to the guilt, etc. We/I must learn to walk in Christs forgiveness and faith in Him. Satan desires to buffet us, not because he hates us but because He hates God most. When he attacks it is subtle. I read once that satans most affective weapon was learning to slip under the radar. At times yes he gets a lot of blame that isn't his even though he is due a lot, but also a lot of times he doesn't get the blame he deserves for torn marriages, hurt people, etc. Even for damaging believers, we must not forget that while yes we are children of the Most High that we are also but dust. I used to think of myself as (not actually but you get the drift) 10 foot tall and made of stone, but when opression or trials came my way I found there was a weakness in me. Satan will poke and prod those I believe, damage us so we are ineffective for the King and His Kingdom. This happens in many ways from damaging our view of God and who He is, damaging our view of ourselves, of others, causing doubt, anxieties, etc. In 1 Peter 5:8 says that satan is looking for someone to devour. When we sin, we doubt, etc we open that door to him. One thought later we are being drug away to the lions den to fight for our lives. We do not fight on our own though, we must stand on Christ and His goodness. This alone saves us.

I had only intended to write a little bit but thats more than a little bit haha. These are just some thoughts I have worked through as of late.

2010/1/14 7:06Profile
Richard365

USA

Re:

Thanks for your comments...they are welcome. God Bless.

2010/1/14 19:33Profile
Giggles

Re:

The role of Satan is way over played. 2 Cor. 10:3-6:

"For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh: (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds;)
Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;
And having in a readiness to revenge all disobedience, when your obedience is fulfilled."

To me those weapons all look like combatting your mind, your thoughts, and your reactions. No mention of Satan.

John Piper reflects on the 'warfare' of Romans: "...Satan doesn't show up til chapter 16." That's 15 chapters of spiritual warfare all about fighting the flesh and getting yourself into submission with God.

Also, we do know that Satan is not omnipresent; that is a divine attribute. So by simple logic, Satan can't be both the cause of my problem and the problem of someone else in another part of the world.

You mentioned the soveriegnty of God in Satan attacking Job, here's another example: Peter being tempted by Satan only after he asked God for permission (Lk. 22:31). Satan had to get clearance and then couldn't do all his evil heart's desire because Jesus prayed for Peter.

Of course that's not to say combatting Satan is not real for:

Eph 6:12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

So it is important, but not as important as fighting sin in your own heart.

2010/1/15 1:37Profile
Richard365

USA

Re:

I agree with you in that most of our battles are within ourself. Fighting pride, selfishness, lust...etc. We fight those things in order to become more like Christ. And I think God uses Satan to show us those things about ourself in order to purify us.

Thanks for the reference in Luke. I don't remember reading that one. God Bless.

2010/1/15 5:14Profile
Christinyou

Ca.

Re:

Acts 26:18 To open their eyes, and to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan unto God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins, and inheritance among them which are sanctified by faith that is in me.

Christ has made us Satan proof, fire proof, and given us and inheritance among them which are sanctified by faith that is in Him.

Satan no longer has power over those that are saved, not that he, Satan is still there and he is real and can hurt us, but only if we give him a mind to. The Christ in us is our total inclusion of deliverance from the power of Satan.
The only reason Satan has any claim on us is we really don't know who we are in Christ. God can allow Satan to sift us but only that we might be brought into the Image of the Christ that is born again in us.

This also makes us self proof, if we stay in the faith and in the sanctification Christ has been made in us.

1 Corinthians 1:29-31 That no flesh should glory in his presence. But of Him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption: That, according as it is written, He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord.

In Christ: Phillip

2010/1/15 11:25Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy