SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : The role of repentance in the transaction of forgiveness

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
run2win

USA

The role of repentance in the transaction of forgiveness

I am having a disagreement with a brother regarding the role of repentance in the transaction of forgiveness where there has been an offense. In Luke 17:3-4 Jesus commands: "Be on your guard! If your brother sins, rebuke him; and if he repents, forgive him. And if he sins against you seven times a day, and returns to you seven times, saying, 'I repent,' forgive him."

Here is the difficulity: My brother believes that we only owe repentance to God when we sin, and never to one another, but I see here that the Lord requires repentance to complete the transaction of forgiveness and reconciliation where a brother has been trespassed against. My brother says that I am judging him by showing him his offense against me; I see here no other way to restore our relationship, which is broken over countless repeats of the same offenses. My chief desire is to restore our relationship. I know he realizes that what he is doing is wrong, because he hides it from other believers. I also know the scriptural protocol with this in Matthew 18:15-17. Honestly, I am wary to go that route as yet, but by not doing so, maybe I'm in disobedience.

I have been hurt repeatedly, and needless to say, I no longer trust this brother. He says God made him this way, and that if God changes him it will take time. I so desire restoration! This is a family member, and we cannot glorify God in our family fully while this remains unresolved. I just need assurance that I am on the right track with this. Perhaps he is right and I am wrong. Please advise/instruct using scripture as your foundation of truth as you are led. Thanks.

2010/1/12 15:07Profile
jlosinski

North Pole, Alaska

Re: The role of repentance in the transaction of forgiveness

It's my understanding that our forgivness towards others should not be conditional on their repentance, having said that however, I don't believe you can re-establish fellowship with a brother unless he has repented. So, you may (should) forgive him, even if he refuses to repent, but for God's sake and yours, spiritual fellowship should not be re-established without repentance. I don't have any scriptures at this time.
Joe

2010/1/12 16:36Profile
jlosinski

North Pole, Alaska

Re:

Matt 18:21-35
John 8:1-9
We cannot be the ultimate judge of our neighbor because we are as guilty as they are apart from the blood of Christ.

Romans 12:19-21
We must leave all vengance and judgment up to the Judge of all the earth.

1 Cor 5:1-13
2 Thess 3:14,15
Forgivness is not conditional on repentance, but fellowship is.

Galatians 6:1
James 5:19,20
Though fellwoship is conditional on repentance, ministering to the unrepentant is not.

2010/1/12 17:15Profile
run2win

USA

Re:

Thanks for your inputs, they are very helpful and affirming, and I agree with you both. I still don't have the answer I'm seeking. Perhaps I should pose it as a question in light of all the other information I shared in regard to this thread.

First, I agree that forgiveness is a commandment, and it is not conditional on repentance, but:

Is it possible for an offender to receive that forgiveness apart from confession (to the one offended) and repentance? (See Matt5:23-24)

I am disturbed that my brother and I are both believers, yet do not see this the same at all.

2010/1/12 22:17Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy