SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Should women open air preach?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
Lysa

East TN (for now)

Re: women preach? What??

Quote:
by Ruthiepoothie on 2010/1/10 19:54:41

Where the spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom....

Amen!

IN THE SPIRIT there is neither male nor female, jew nor greek, bond nor free (Galatians 3.28)

...Christ is all and IN ALL. (Colossians 3.11)

I'm not saying that all women SHOULD preach but neither am I saying that all men SHOULD preach either!

That's about all I have to say on the subject b/c I know that the majority on SI won't allow it (women preaching/teaching).

So God bless you all!!

(edited: clarification)

2010/1/11 16:39Profile
Giggles

Re:

Sticky topic. I believe that it's a Romans 14 issue: Let everyone be fully convinced in his own mind whether a woman can or cannot teach/preach etc.

I think that whatever your determination on the subject is, it should be based upon the scripture not upon 'well so and so preached and was used mightily.' Mr. Reidhead has a wonderful sermon calling that pragmatism, where the desired end justifies any means. God used a donkey once, surely we won't argue for putting donkeys into pulpits. The point is God can use whatever He wants, and we should aim to follow His word in our conduct.

2010/1/11 18:19Profile
wayneman

Michigan

Re:

"1Co. 11 does not say women "may" prophesy, it just says they did. Paul merely noted it, along with many other errors and sins that Church was guilty of, Paul did not overwelm the passage with more than one theme.He brings women back into his teaching in ch. 14 where he clearly commands womens silence (including prophesy). All who try to "get by" these prohibitions are guilty of despising apostolic rule.".

Walter?

2010/1/11 19:01Profile
Lysa

East TN (for now)

Re: Walter?

wayneman wrote:

Quote:
Walter?

This is too funny b/c I thought the same thing when I read that! LOLOLOL

2010/1/11 20:00Profile
Ceri

Notts. England.

Re: Should women open air preach?

This question has always been a bone of contention with some Christians and really angers me, so much so that my husband finally studied into it.
The conclusion he arrived at is that scripture is saying that a woman must not 'usurp' authority over a man.
I feel that people such as 'mrval4truth' have a terrible dogmatic, legalistic attitude that stiffles gifting and brings women into bondage. It feels to me that he would have women written out of scripture altogether!
Of course women prophesied, preached and taught.
A promise from the Lord himself through the prophet Joel and quoted on the day of pentecost in Acts 2 "in those days I will pour out my Spirit on all flesh - men and women alike - your sons and daughters shall prophesy"

Paul commended Timothy and the teachings he had received from his mother and grandmother Eunice!
Paul had such love and respect for women such as Lydia who taught her house group. Priscilla also traveled with Paul along with her husband, who is second named after her, and had a leading role in teaching, she even taught Appolos of Alexandria.

Jesus appeared first to Mary and told her to tell his disciples that he is alive - she was the first to tell of the gospel of his resurrection! he could have just bypassed her and appeared in the room as he did later - No! Women in those days as it still is in eastern countries, were not their own but properties of men and second rate citizens! but Jesus elevated women to their proper position - even acknowledging Mary who washed his feet with her tears and annointed him with her most precious dowry oil - He used her as an example to publically disgrace the pharisee Simon who never showed him any common curtesy.

Paul in Romans 16 states "Our sister Phoebe - A DEACON IN THE CHURCH -will be coming to see you soon, receive her in the Lord as one who is worthy of high honour"
There are examples in scripture if you are prepared to study and look then out.
It angers me that some men forbid women to preach and teach and yet their sunday schools would close down if women took this on board - for what are women doing here with children if not teaching!!

I come from a family line of Pastors and teachers, my greatest influence for the Lord in my life has been my grandmother - I now preach and teach bible studies and love it with a passion.
My dad, who is a preacher was taught a lot by my mother!

After being abused and raped by a Church deacon all my teenage life, my husband saw potential in me and has worked to encourage and nurture me to be the woman I am today.
Of course I am in submission to my leadership who have full trust in me and know and understand my heart.
My pastor knows I would never do anything behind his back and trusts me and has had me preaching even while he's been away.

I know I have God's blessing to speak as through Him I battled and overcame such fears in obedience to His call to do so, and He does move on people whenever I do. This overwhelms and moves me completely that He can take someone who was so shy and downtrodden such as me and now use me to minister to others. My dad is so thrilled and sees it as I'm now being passed the baton.
I am now so proud of my teenage daughter who has such a passion for the scriptures she even reads to me while I'm in the bath so there is no escaping! she recently preached her first bible study at our house fellowship on 'how to live everyday for the Lord' and there wasn't a dry eye as everyone was so blest and heard God speak to them on a personal level. Our leader said after that he was nervous of her caperbility to speak but said he'd been obedient to God in asking her and said "I knew it was from God to ask her to preach and He hasn't let me down!"

It pains me so much to see women with such potential and gifting from the Lord being stiffled and silenced by the attitudes of such as mrval4truth. God can call and equip whoever He pleases to use - male or female!

2010/1/12 8:18Profile

Re:

Ceri, Praise God for your input here and your testimony to His grace in your life and in the life of your daughter.

Quote:
It pains me so much to see women with such potential and gifting from the Lord being stiffled and silenced by the attitudes of such as mrval4truth. God can call and equip whoever He pleases to use - male or female!

2010/1/12 8:52
Lysa

East TN (for now)

Re: Should women open air preach?

[url=http://www.lwbc.co.uk/OnlineBooks/duncan_campbell_bio.htm]Brief Biography of Duncan Campbell [/url]

Quote:
From 2nd ¶:
Duncan's father was Hugh Campbell, a stonemason, who had married Jane Livingstone from the nearby island of Lismore, and [b]both his parents were converted in 1901 when two young women belonging to the Faith Mission visited their village[/b]. This Mission had been established in Glasgow in 1886 by John George Govan with the purpose of carrying out evangelistic work in the rural areas of Scotland and Ireland.

2010/1/12 12:48Profile

Re:

Good word, Lysa.

2010/1/12 13:06
Miccah

Wisconsin

Re:

The age old debate... Ability has nothing to do with authority. As some members pointed out nicely earlier, authority is the key issue, ability comes next.

Ability. Authority. The two are not side by side, for the Body is made up of many different parts.

Just because you can walk on your hands, does not mean that you should. Walking should be left to the feet. One will see that walking on your hands for an extended period of time will stress the body, allowing for different medical incidents to occur.

This issue is deeper then I believe most realize. The true issue in my opinion, is an issue of submission. No one wants to be submitted to another. Everyone has the "me" attitude and believes that their (in America) constitutional rights should project how the Kingdom should work. That because there is such a push on all people (religions, sexes, sexual preferences, etc...) being equal, everyone believes that they are given a "right" to do as one pleases.

2010/1/12 14:15Profile
Lysa

East TN (for now)

Re: Miccah

Quote:
Miccah wrote:
This issue is deeper then I believe most realize.

Can we talk about what makes a successful “male” preacher/teacher?

Just so you know, I do not believe that every woman has a right, privilege and authority to preach; but neither does every man have a right, privilege and authority to preach.

But aside from a woman preaching debate, with all the males that are preaching today, what does a successful male ministry look like? I do not want to argue, I'm interested in what you think.

God bless,

2010/1/12 17:40Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy