SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Revivals And Church History : Ministry ?'s. Feedback appreciated

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
TruthNLove

California

Ministry ?'s. Feedback appreciated

Our church plays music (piano) during our pastoral prayer and during the doxology.Now they want to try it during the reading of scripture. I personally was distressed and distracted when they tried it during the scripture reading.

What are your thoughts? How is music used in your worship service? Do you know of any church that uses music during the reading of the word? Is there an biblical reasons to play music even during corporate prayer, or is just tradition (current)?

Thank you.

2010/1/9 23:49Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re: Ministry ?'s. Feedback appreciated

WHat is the motive for changing?

Personally, I would find the playing of music during the Bible reading distractive. When I read the WORD, I want total silence - no music, no people close around to distract me.

Jesus speaks about a person going to the closet to pray. Seems to me this command highlights an important principle: that of being alone with God and being away from all distractions. So many times the devil will use 'innocent' distractions at a very important time when a profound truth is being sensed.

I do not know the motive for having background music for the reading of the WORD but do suggest this is what singing does, or should be when you have God-honoring lyrics added to the music. God speaks in the silence and seems to me we do well to make this happen by removing as much noise as possible which serves to distract.

One more point: did you ever notice how the modern, carnal person does not like silence? How he/she requires much noise at all times? and this sound [usually] is raucous music? Many businesses will play music; some play classical and others rock and a few play the radio tuned to a Southern Gospel music station. Why are people afraid of silence? Are they afraid of their thoughts? or what their conscience is warning them about?

My understanding and I will admit I cannot think of any scripture to support my point unless it is where the Scripture is totally silent about this being done - the playing of music when the scripture is being read.

ginnyrose

2010/1/10 9:05Profile
TruthNLove

California

Re:

Thanks for your feedback Ginny,

I don't know the motive. I hope it isn't they think it will "enhance" God's word. I do agree with you that God speaks more in silence.

2010/1/10 23:27Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy