SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Revivals And Church History : A Remembrance of Leonard Ravenhill

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
wayneman

Michigan

A Remembrance of Leonard Ravenhill

Leonard Ravenhill was the last of a great lineage of British Holiness evangelists that included Samuel Chadwick, Billy Nicholson and Daniel Steele. As a young man he met Smith Wigglesworth, Jessie-Penn Lewis, Rees Howells, Evan Roberts, la Marechale (William Booth's daughter) and had life-long friendships with Dr. Tozer, Duncan Campbell, Norman Grubb and T. Austin-Sparks. He outlived them all, and his death in 1994 at the age of 87 marked the end of a generation.

I became acquainted with him in his later years. I used to track down out-of-print and hard-to-find books for him. My best score was a first-edition copy of "Sermons on Regeneration" by Phillip Dodderidge. He wrote, "My dear brother Wayne, I have 3500 books in my collection. This one I shall treasure most. Blessings, Len."

Though I was not part of the inner circle of friends who addressed him as "Len," I got to know him a little beyond the one-dimensional perception you get from a man's books and sermons.

One of his endearing idiosyncrasies was the way he would thank me for locating some rare volume by sending me an ill-wrapped bundle of crackpot literature that he considered vital reading for a preacher-boy - an exposé on the New Age conspiracy behind modern Bible versions, for example.

He also gave me some great books, like [i]Intercession: The Throne Ministry[/i] by his friends at Emmanuel Church in Tulsa.

His letters were always peppered with his trademark alliterative aphorisms (couplet-proverbs with repetitive first letters).

In 1992 I was passing through Texas and was delighted to discover that Lindale was just off the freeway. Having corresponded with him by letter and phone for a few years, I called ahead and asked Ravenhill if I could stop by for a visit.

Following his directions, I turned in at his address and passed through a gated entry flanked by imposing brick pillars with white marble lions on top. For a second I was in shock. "What??? Ravenhill lives in a mansion?" But in fact he and Martha lived in a little guest house by the gate. Like typical Britons, they kept a big, bright flower garden. He liked a big car with a big engine and an old Cadillac the size of an aircraft carrier was parked in the gravel driveway. He was also fond of flying-eagle pictures and his office was plastered with them. His book collection took up half the wall space in the cottage.

Because he received so many visitors, he had to limit visits to half-an-hour (At least that's what he told [i]this[/i] visitor - I bet he never kicked David Wilkerson out when his time was up!)

Ravenhill was the same guy in person that he was in the pulpit: passionate and intense. He talked about intercession and revival and pounded the arm of his chair just like he pounded the podium.

His irrepressible fountain of humor was also in evidence. He had a surprisingly sunny smile for an old man. He asked me if I was married. I told him I was not. "Good!" he said. "Stay that way." I started to say something about the social stigma of being unmarried..."Forget it!" he said. "There's a biblical stigma to being married. By the way, do you know why a Christian man can't have two wives? Because 'No man can serve two masters!'"

Our main topic of discussion was a parallel experience we shared - we had both spent a few years with the Vineyard/Third Wave/Kansas City Prophecy movement. I had written an exposé of the "holy laughter" revival that attracted the attention of International Director Todd Hunter and ended my association with the Vineyard. I offered Ravenhill my theory that the lack of discernment in the Third Wave movement probably made genuine Revival impossible. He shook his head and said, "I've lost confidence in those guys. They bounce around from one fad to another; they won't center on the Cross."

Before I left he took my right hand in his and prayed for me.

There was a time when I looked up to him as a spiritual giant, a reincarnate Old Testament Prophet, the Greatest Preacher of Our Generation. Once I got to know him and realized he was a mere mortal, I quit idolizing him and instead came to a new understanding of what transformative Grace can do to a man. He was an ordinary man with an extraordinary nearness to Christ.

His most striking characteristic was his vision. He constantly reminded us that we serve the same God who wrought upon Moses, Elijah, Isaiah, John and Paul - "the high and holy One who inhabits eternity and whose dwelling is with the meek and lowly." What business do we have with mediocrity and paltry triumphs?

"We're paddling around the shore of an infinite ocean of grace," he used to say.

He believed in a mighty Latter Rain Revival, "A Pentecost that will out-Pentecost Pentecost!" He believed that, like Simeon, he would not die until he had seen the promise fulfilled. "If the Revival doesn't come soon," he said at the age of 85, "I'm going to be a very disgusted old man."

That was the tragic element in Ravenhill's mission. For seventy years he labored in the Gospel and travailed in prayer for the Latter Rain, but never saw it. He devoted his life to extracting a pure, victorious, praying church from the industrial church, with predictably frustrating results. The irony of his life was that his calling as a revivalist constrained him to be pure in heart, visionary and idealistic, and at the same time immersed him in the organized religion industry he detested. But, despite a lifetime of disappointments, he never gave up on the church.

Though a Primitive Methodist himself, he fellowshipped with Baptists, Quakers, Pentecostals, Keswick Conventioneers, Salvationists and Plymouth Brethren. Anyone with a heart for Revival was a friend of Ravenhill's. He was more interested in spiritual fruits than theological roots. Jesus said, "By their fruits ye shall know them." And that was the way Ravenhill looked at it: if it produces Revival, it is good theology.

His disregard for what he called "exegetical exactitude" left him free to associate with people and movements that a more proper religionist would rather avoid. He joined up with William Branham and the Voice of Healing movement, Paul Cain and the Kansas City Prophets, and similar associations, in the hope that they would burgeon into a mighty Latter Rain Revival. Instead, they fizzled or spun off into chicanery.

Some ministries are born posthumously. E.M. Bounds, for example, had little impact in his lifetime, but his Spirit-breathed books on prayer have been setting Christians on fire for a century now. And though it cannot be said that Leonard Ravenhill had "little impact" on his generation, it is certainly true that he spent a lifetime sowing seeds of Revival, but never saw the harvest.

Perhaps our generation will.

For verily I say unto you, That many prophets and righteous men have desired to see those things which ye see, and have not seen them; and to hear those things which ye hear, and have not heard them. (Matt. 13:17)

And herein is that saying true, One soweth, and another reapeth. I sent you to reap that whereon ye bestowed no labour: other men laboured, and ye are entered into their labours. (John 4:37-38)

2010/1/9 14:40Profile

Re: A Remembrance of Leonard Ravenhill

Well written, thank you.

2010/1/9 14:47
Yeshuasboy

Northern Rockies, BC, Canada

Indeed, a most excellent reading dear, gracious brother. Thankyou very much for your sharing of these beautiful truths. richie

2010/1/9 15:13Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Thanks for sharing, brother.

I visited Brother Ravenhill in his home when I was a young teenager. I had shown up unannounced, and I was surprised that he even agreed to meet with me. However, I came at a good time and met with him for a couple of hours. His wife, Martha, said that this was interesting because he seldom met with anyone for more than a short time.

It was a significant event in my life, and I will cherish the words that he spoke to me. I suppose that I didn't know much about him (other than he and his books had impacted some of the men that I admired for their faith). I actually decided that I wanted to meet him because I heard a message in which David Wilkerson said that he had advised all of his children to get to know Brother Ravenhill while he was still alive.

After he initially quizzed and questioned me about my faith and views (which was uncomfortable -- like a "hot seat" to say the least), I just told him what was truly on my heart about the condition of the church (as seen from my young eyes). He smiled, nodded to his wife (who then brought me some tea, crackers and cookies) and seemed much more relaxed. He was warm and gentle but quite firm in his advice. The greatest piece of advice that he gave to me that day was to "test everything."

Thank you for sharing, brother. Your words reminded me very well of that meeting. His words were very "cutting" that day, but I could tell were spoken from a man who was jealous for the honor of God.

2010/1/9 15:18Profile
wayneman

Michigan

Re:

Chris,

A couple hours? You must have a more engaging personality than I do! Though he did extend my time limit a little.

The same day I met with him, a couple guys drove straight thru from Toronto just to talk with him for a half-hour, then drove straight back.

I was unable to avail myself of Martha's tea and cookies because I just had a Stuckey' gut-bomb for lunch.

2010/1/9 15:54Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

Hi Brother Wayneman...

Yes, Sister Martha told me that he rarely accepted unscheduled visitors. I was also told that his questioning at the beginning of our meeting was his method of determining whether or not he should allow a visitor to stay.

Oddly enough, I didn't think that he was going to see me. I was wearing a pair of shorts and a very wrinkled tshirt. I felt very awkward and almost uncomfortable when he was asking me so many questions. However, at one point, I finally poured out my heart to him (trembling...and almost in tears). I'm not sure what it was that I said, but his facial expression changed. He smiled and nodded to his wife, and that is when she asked whether or not I wanted some tea and cookies.

He allowed me to ask some questions at first (to which he answered). Of course, I was very young at the time. Most of the meeting was conversational, but he offered quite a bit of advice. In fact, there was a period where he it felt like a personal sermon. He also gave me a few books (which he signed) from his own bookshelf! We talked about the condition of the Church...but much more about the condition of our own hearts. He advised me to question everything -- including the words of every preacher or teacher that I have ever heard...but to do so in sincerity and with the humility of Christ.

I suppose that one of the best parts of that visit is when he prayed with me and for me (and I for him). I was blessed and humbled to pray with a man that so many people respected as a man of God. When our meeting was over, I gave him a handshake and a hug. I noticed that he looked much older when he walked away. Sister Martha walked me to the door and told me that she was happy to have met me. I apologized again for having arrived unannounced. She smiled and said that Brother Ravenhill rarely met with unscheduled visitors or with people for more than a half hour.

It wasn't long after that meeting that I read a short article in a Christian magazine that told me that Brother Ravenhill had died. I am very happy to have had the opportunity to meet with him when I did. This is especially true as I have become much more aware of the man and his messages and books since that meeting.

2010/1/9 18:34Profile
nasekom

Dublin,Ireland

Re:

i deeply respect L.Ravenhill and it's nice to read a bit of a personal recollections on this man of God.Thanks for posting this Wayneman and ccchhhrrriiisss.

2010/1/9 19:32Profile
Areadymind

Pacific Ocean

Re:

Great stories, thanks.

2010/1/9 22:10Profile
vasilef

ROMANIA

Re:

"I've lost confidence in those guys. They bounce around from one fad to another; they won't center on the Cross."

Do you know any of Ravenhill's sermons about the cross?

2010/1/20 9:00Profile

Dear Wayne,
this sharing, this thread, is why i love this website so much! (God bless you dear brother Greg)

though sometimes we all stray and fuss, there is a Sweet Fragrance of the Resurrected Messiah in these pages, Bless God for compelling you to share.

two things really impacted me as to what you shared:

Quote:
His disregard for what he called "exegetical exactitude" left him free to associate with people and movements that a more proper religionist would rather avoid.

wisdom from an elder, i shall take to heart.

Quote:
Though a Primitive Methodist himself

wow, i have to look up what "Primitive Methodism" is now, if brother Ravenhill was in that camp, i do think it deserves investigation...and just one more thing, a note of encouragement:

Quote:
The irony of his life was that his calling as a revivalist constrained him to be pure in heart, visionary and idealistic, and at the same time immersed him in the organized religion industry he detested. But, despite a lifetime of disappointments, he never gave up on the church.

NEVER GIVE UP....amen.

God bless you richly, neil

2010/1/20 10:19

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy