SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Calvin or Jesus?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
ByEveryWord

Calvin or Jesus?

If Calvinism is true, how can these two truths be reconciled?

1.) God made all men for his pleasure...

" Thou art worthy, O, Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created." -Rev 4:11

2.) Those in hell never pleased God...

"...without faith it is impossible to please him..."
-Hebrews 11:6
"...I have no pleasure, in the death of the wicked..."
-Ezekiel 33:11

If Calvinism is not true, how can these two truths be reconciled?

Answer: "The Lord is not slack, concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that ANY should perish, but that ALL should come to repentance." -2Peter 3:9

Jesus Christ said...

O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, thou that killest the prophets, and stonest them which are sent unto thee,how often WOULD I HAVE gathered thy children together,even as,a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, and YE WOULD NOT!
-Matthew 23:27

Did you get your doctrine from a man or from Jesus?

2010/1/5 0:40Profile

Re: Calvin or Jesus?

oh boy....why do i get this sinking feeling..........

2010/1/5 0:50
ChrisMo

I briefly thought about Calvanism & Arminism. Then I decided that this is something that Jesus would not want me to dwell on. There are far more important things to think about. How wonderful is our Jesus, who gave His very life for us. I have so much to learn through His Word to help me lead a godly life without getting caught up in things that aren't that important.

2010/1/5 6:47Profile
Thommy2

Wisconsin

Re:

Just let the obvious tension in Scripture stay there.

Can we all agree that without the proclamtion of the gospel the power of God is not present?

Because of the gospel of Jesus Christ and my response to His free offer of eternal life I can have assurance in knowing that God foreknew me and predestined me to be conformed to the image of Jesus Christ

When we willing respond to the gospel call we have God's righteousness imputed to us and we can take on any of these titles
Elect, Predestined, Foreknown, Chosen... and those are biblical terms.
So those who do not willing respond are not Elect, Predestined, Foreknown, or Chosen

2010/1/5 6:56Profile
TaylorOtwell

Arkansas

Re:

Let's not be silly. I could just as easily flip the thread title around and ask you - "Arminius or Jesus"?

There are plenty of resources on the net regarding how Calvinists would answer these questions, why don't you just read those? The moderators don't like these kinds of contentious threads.

With care in Christ...

2010/1/5 7:47Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

Re:

Sadly, this looks like another spammer.

2010/1/5 8:02Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

Quote:
Natan4Jesus wrote:

oh boy....why do i get this sinking feeling..........

Natan,

You made my morning! I read the title, was almost afraid to click on it, then I read your message and laughed so hard I got tears in my eyes!!

Thank you for that! You were a blessing and didn't even know it brother!

God bless you!

2010/1/5 8:30Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

Re: ChrisMo

Quote:
ChrisMo wrote:
I briefly thought about Calvanism & Arminism. Then I decided that this is something that Jesus would not want me to dwell on. There are far more important things to think about. How wonderful is our Jesus, who gave His very life for us. I have so much to learn through His Word to help me lead a godly life without getting caught up in things that aren't that important.

AMEN!! I've got too much TOO thank God for and TOO work on getting OUT of my life to sit down long enough to study doctrine; like the pride in my life, the gossiping in my life; like "me" in my life (you know, "it's all about me").

I was listening to a new song this morning by Nina Landis called "Glutton's at a Table." Paraphrased: we sit at His feet stuffing ourselves while they're starving in the street. You would think she was talking about food (which she could be) but I got that she was talking about God's Spirit in us - how we hoard it and never give it out to others.

So I've got that to think about that today as well. :)

God bless you,

2010/1/5 8:52Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Quote:
Just let the obvious tension in Scripture stay there.

Everyone gets is a wad when they try to figure out how God saves people and why some don't get saved. It's a lot like trying to figure how how God made the world - he shared no details about this process beyond 'he spoke and it happened'. While there is more about the redemption process there are so many loopholes and therein lies the problem. Since this is the case we do well to leave some things to God and get on with living for him, like Lysa said. There are too many devils lurking out there working to trip us up.

Ya' got one looking over your shoulder?

My opinion....

ginnyrose

2010/1/5 9:26Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

Calvin cannot save you. Arminius cannot save you. It is readily apparent that the spiritual precept which Paul convicted the Corinthian church is still in full evidence today. Like then, and now is the same conflict because believers have not given up on men to follow Christ. It is only God who gives the increase. Until one forsakes following men, one will always be in conflict with one another. Unity can only come by following the voice of God.

Only Jesus can wash the feet of those who hear and obey.

In Christ
Jeff

2010/1/5 11:01Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy