SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : Physical fighting as a sport (ufc, mma etc) should christian be watching this stuff

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
MityDisciple

Moncton, New-Brunswick Canada

Physical fighting as a sport (ufc, mma etc) should christian be watching this stuff

Liked to get some thoughs on this and scriptures that would clarify if it;s right or not...

2010/1/4 13:34Profile
sojourner7

Omaha, NE

Re: Physical fighting as a sport (ufc, mma etc) should christian be watching this stu

In Roman times; they saw blood sport as entertaining,
and watched as Christians were torn apart by hungry
beasts or slaughtered by "warriors".
Many Christians were martyred in this way.

Would Jesus watch blood sport?? Would HE be
entertained by such savagery?? NO, no, NO!!

2010/1/4 13:39Profile
IWantAnguish

VCU @ Richmond, VA

Re:

I've thought about this quite often as well...

The rising popularity of UFC and the decline of the popularity of boxing shows that people want more brutality; more blood, more knockouts, more broken bones.

I remember I was at a Christian gathering of perhaps 15-20 people... and somebody said they were all going to another place to watch UFC; and asked who wanted to come along.

There were some very enthusiastic guys who wanted to go; while a number of people refused... a dividing line seemed to appear in the atmosphere, between those who thought it was okay for Christians to watch things like that, and others who were adamantly against it.

One elder Christian asked them why they wanted to watch 2 men beat each other to death. And then later talked to me about how he was converted at David Wilkerson's church in Times Square Church.

I personally know many who profess to be believers who enjoy watching these kinds of things... and yet do not see anything wrong with it. And it's hard to come up with the discernment of whether to say anything and risk becoming labeled as a legalist.

2010/1/4 13:57Profile
SHMILY

Washington ~ the state ;)

Re: Physical fighting as a sport (ufc, mma etc) should christian be watching this stu

In studying Isaiah last year the end Is 33:15 seemed to me to relate to many forms of entertainment. Perhaps it is appropriate here too.

In context (NASB):
Isa 33:14 Sinners in Zion are terrified; Trembling has seized the godless. "Who among us can live with the consuming fire? Who among us can live with continual burning?"

Isa 33:15 He who walks righteously and speaks with sincerity, He who rejects unjust gain And shakes his hands so that they hold no bribe; He who stops his ears from hearing about bloodshed And shuts his eyes from looking upon evil;

Isa 33:16 He will dwell on the heights, His refuge will be the impregnable rock; His bread will be given {him,} His water will be sure.

Isa 33:17 Your eyes will see the King in His beauty; They will behold a far-distant land.

REJOICE! =)

2010/1/4 15:27Profile
hmmhmm

Sweden

My first thought is back to the coloseum 1900 years ago about, where for sport christians where feed to the lions, but also gladiators fought each others. It seem the same spirit that enjoys watching Gods children being devoured by beasts, seem to be satisfied also by two men beating and killing eachother.

now i know ufc is not to death and regulated by rules etc. But still i am thinking of what makes someone interested in that? what is the spirit behind it? what is it in our human nature that find violence so attracting? i am very doubtful it should be from God and for our enjoyment, a sort of recreation to get "excited" about. Some scripture that comes to mind is.

Finally, brethren, whatever things are [b]true[/b], whatever things are [b]noble[/b], whatever things are [b]just[/b], whatever things are [b]pure[/b], whatever things are [b]lovely[/b], whatever things are of [b]good report[/b], if there is any [b]virtue[/b] and if there is anything [b]praiseworthy[/b]-- meditate on these things. (Phi 4:8 NKJ)

I will set no wicked thing before mine eyes: I hate the work of them that turn aside; it shall not cleave to me. (Psa 101:3 KJV)

and this quote be one of the church fathers is worth of consideration.

[i]Is it right to look on what is disgraceful to do? how is it that the things that defile a man in going out of his mouth, are not regarded as doing so when they go in his eyes ands ears?

Tertullian[/i]

just my thoughts on this, i had a great interest in these things before i was saved, and after i felt i was to have nothing to do with that kind of thing any more.

2010/1/4 15:30Profile
Koheleth

NC

Quote:
Liked to get some thoughs on this and scriptures that would clarify if it;s right or not...

Here is the only thought you will ever need: Would Jesus go and sit and watch two men beat on each other? How often did he do that while on earth (or anything like it)?

I know you and most people on this forum have enough knowledge to answer this question correctly.

2010/1/4 16:09Profile
IWantAnguish

VCU @ Richmond, VA

Re:

I shall play the role of the average 'born-again' western believer in response to...

Quote:
Here is the only thought you will ever need: Would Jesus go and sit and watch two men beat on each other? How often did he do that while on earth (or anything like it)?

Don't judge me!

I am free under grace to do anything I want!

I'm saved so I can sin, it's okay, once saved always saved.

2010/1/4 16:11Profile
TaylorOtwell

Arkansas

Re:

I don't think so. I don't believe it is really consistent with this verse:

[i]Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things.[/i]

2010/1/4 18:03Profile
nasekom

Dublin,Ireland

no.Christian should not watch that because Jesus wouldn't.actually violence was partially the reason why God destroyed the earth with the flood. Gen.6:11-17.

2010/1/4 19:42Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

The LORD tests the righteous and the wicked, and his soul hates him that loves violence. (Psalm 11:5)

It's one thing if somebody is playing a sport that is a little physical and involves some rough contact. It's quite another thing to participate in a sport that's only purpose is to beat another person up.

2010/1/4 19:49Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy