SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Just hoping for some advice

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
MaryJane

Just hoping for some advice

I have some questions that I would like some perspective on. My questions are concerning end times and our day to day living in Him? First let me say that this topic over all has been a really difficult one for me because I use to be obsessive about it. As I have shared in the past I use to devour every single thing on the subject that I could get my hands on. IT was always on my mind and what I wanted to talk about. Then the Lord just really got my attention and I realized that I was in sin with my behavior. I was so focused on what would happen that I was not really living for Him. So I have for several years now distanced myself some from this topic in general. This has been good for me in many ways because I am not fearful as I once was and I am really learning more each day to walk and live by faith.I use to worry so much about things but now I just trust that He is in control. Let me be really clear, I do know that things are happening and are going to happen, I know that there are things that must take place, I just am not worrying about the when. Here is the problem, I have fellowship with some believers who are very much into reading the news, watching the events in the world and how this relates to the end times. Some feel led to prepare in different ways, they talk about how we must be ready for disasters and possible attacks. Lately every time we have fellowship the end times is the teaching matter, and topic discussed to the point that nothing else is every talked of. In many ways I find myself really feeling at odds with it all. I do not think that there is anything wrong with reading the scripture or seeking what God has for us on this topic but I am trying to understand shouldn't there be some kind of balance in all of this. I mean seeking to understand end times but yet still actively be about daily living in Him now? During one meeting one of the ladies said she does not really even plan to spend much time teaching her two little daughters(one is 2, the other three) about Jesus because she is so sure He is coming soon and they are to young to understand it all anyway? Does this seem like a wise way to go about daily living? When we share with others should it be all about the end times, I keep thinking what about sharing Jesus and the cross? I have been praying about if I should say something to them about this or if maybe this is more to do with me personally because of my own past attitudes? I have only known some of these brothers and sister for a while and I do not want to offend anyone in this group, especially since this may just be me? I do know that God sometimes places different things on our hearts at different times so I really want to be careful in this.

God Bless
mj

2010/1/3 15:53Profile
sojourner7

Omaha, NE

Re: Just hoping for some advice

If you are following after GOD with your
whole heart and being led by the Spirit;
HE will guide and lead you safely through
these perilous times!! Be assured of it!!

2010/1/3 17:25Profile
Koheleth

NC

Hi MaryJane! A good topic and thanks for sharing. I too have spent a large amount of time on these issues, including "preparing for the end" and doing a lot of reading, so I think I can relate to what you are talking about. This would be my reply based on my own journey in this topic with Christ.

Quote:
IT was always on my mind and what I wanted to talk about. Then the Lord just really got my attention and I realized that I was in sin with my behavior. I was so focused on what would happen that I was not really living for Him.

I find these topics always detract our main focus and the meditations of our heart from HIM. In the end, I had to conclude that not listening to Jesus to "not worry about tomorrow" was the real sin, it kept me from listening to him and loving him and obeying him TODAY.

Quote:
I am not fearful as I once was and I am really learning more each day to walk and live by faith.I use to worry so much about things but now I just trust that He is in control.

Amen. This is the Christian result, a restful and trusting walk with Christ.

Quote:
I have fellowship with some believers who are very much into reading the news, watching the events in the world and how this relates to the end times.

Time to leave the "believers" who are into reading the news and find some who are into reading the Bible. Time to walk away from "fellowship" that has to do with "watching the events in the world" and spend more time gazing up into heaven and into the face of the Lord.

Quote:
In many ways I find myself really feeling at odds with it all.

Your spirit is hungry for Jesus, not earthly fears you cannot control. Your spirit is discerning correctly.

Quote:
I do not think that there is anything wrong with reading the scripture or seeking what God has for us on this topic but I am trying to understand shouldn't there be some kind of balance in all of this.

The topic itself is of course not wrong. And yes, the Scriptures should be studied. But have we exhausted the fruits of the Spirit and Christ-likeness yet? This is the best preparation for the end times. And balance is good, let's talk about the end times also. Determine the percentage that the Bible talks about the end times, and we can talk about it approximately the same and we will be in line with what God is talking about.

Quote:
During one meeting one of the ladies said she does not really even plan to spend much time teaching her two little daughters(one is 2, the other three) about Jesus because she is so sure He is coming soon and they are to young to understand it all anyway?

Two year olds are definitely not too young to enjoy simple prayers and talks with mommy about getting ready to meet Jesus because mommy is so sure he is coming soon and we want to be ready to meet him. Something else is wrong with this picture.

Quote:
When we share with others should it be all about the end times, I keep thinking what about sharing Jesus and the cross?

We should talk about what Jesus talked about. A true follower of Christ would only want to. Others are actually following something else.

Quote:
I have only known some of these brothers and sister for a while and I do not want to offend anyone in this group, especially since this may just be me? I do know that God sometimes places different things on our hearts at different times so I really want to be careful in this.

Yes, love and kindness and gentleness are needed. However, sometimes we do not want to offend so much we miss the will of God. Certainly there must be a place for you to open your Bible and softly speak your heart to these friends. Being honest with them can only do you all good. And if they fully reject you, you will understand what type of friends they are and where they stand with the words of Jesus that you shared with them. A true disciple will love all of the words of Jesus.

Take care and all the best blessings to you in this.

2010/1/3 17:47Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

MaryJane!

Quote:
one of the ladies said she does not really even plan to spend much time teaching her two little daughters(one is 2, the other three) about Jesus because she is so sure He is coming soon and they are to young to understand it all anyway?

This worries me to no end! Really! Methinks this person is deceived! Why on earth would a mother NOT want to teach a child about Jesus???? What a parent loves is what a parent will automatically teach his/her children. If it is a burden to her, she obviously does not love the LORD in her heart. If she loves Him she will also want to share Him with her children, even if they are two.

What kind of environment does this mother provide for her children? Is it filled with idiotic music, programs? Does she play godly music to/for her children? If she is not providing a godly atmosphere for her children she is not a godly woman. Sorry to be so harsh, but I see it no other way.

Now, about people being obsessed with the end-times disasters...I, too, no longer study current events like I used to. I used to know it all but Watergate cured me; I knew who all was on the prez's cabinet and today all I know is who is the vice-president! When we focus on the foolishness of man and how it may play into endtime fulfillment's we can easily lose sight of who is going to bring all things to an end.

I would like to suggest something - it may sound like a contradiction, but hear me out. Why do you not read, study the book of Revelation? Read it as a personal letter to you from God. Understand John is relating a vision he had, so visualize it, see it as he did in your imagination. Forget about matching those events up with modern political shenanigans, read it like a good story, if you will. Before embarking on it, get a paper, pencil and get yourself some quiet time where you can read it,asking the Holy Spirit for illumination. Then see what happens! Maybe, then you will be equipped to handle these ladies...(I will tell you a secret - if you study it like I suggested, it has a way of removing your fear!)

Blessings,
ginnyrose

2010/1/3 18:00Profile
Koheleth

NC

Re:

Quote:
I knew who all was on the prez's cabinet and today all I know is who is the vice-president!

Amen! I can relate! But . . . I do know the Lord of the universe.

2010/1/3 18:53Profile
Thess

United States

There's a quote I have heard over the years as people have tried to determine how soon the Lord would return and it goes like this, "Live like Jesus is coming today but plan like it could be a 100 years". I understand and sense the changes that are moving across the face of the earth and know that whether Jesus returns soon or not there is great change in store for all people on earth. Withdrawing and doing nothing does not prepare us to face the changes and challenges that are coming. On the flip side a constant diet of fear and anxiety about the things coming will undermine the faith that we do have.

In one parable (Luke 19:13) Jesus delivers a talent each to ten servants and tells them to "occupy till I come". The servants each started with the same amount but each used it and gained different amounts in the end. One servant was filled with fear and hid his talent in a napkin. When the Lord returned he was upset because the servant had not so much as gave the money to the bank to gain usury but because of fear of the Lord had hid the money so he could return it to the Lord. As servants of God that have been entrusted with the gospel message of salvation and all the blessings of God, that are no blessing to us unless we share them, we are called to occupy and increase the "talents" of the Kingdom that we have been given. If we bury our "talent" and say I fear the things that are coming, I am too unsettled to visit the sick, feed the hungry, preach the Gospel, and teach my children, it looks like the Lord is coming soon so I will withdraw, get comfortable and just wait it out. Beware lest the Lord takes what you have and give it to the one that has made something out of the "talent" entrusted to them.

I plead with fellow Believers, committed or lukewarm, to heed the call in Ephesians 5 to wake up, redeem the time and understand what the will of the Lord is. Occupy till JESUS comes.

Ephesians 5:6-20
Eph 5:6 Let no man deceive you with vain words: for because of these things cometh the wrath of God upon the children of disobedience.
Eph 5:7 Be not ye therefore partakers with them.
Eph 5:8 For ye were sometimes darkness, but now are ye light in the Lord: walk as children of light:
Eph 5:9 (For the fruit of the Spirit is in all goodness and righteousness and truth;)
Eph 5:10 Proving what is acceptable unto the Lord.
Eph 5:11 And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them.
Eph 5:12 For it is a shame even to speak of those things which are done of them in secret.
Eph 5:13 But all things that are reproved are made manifest by the light: for whatsoever doth make manifest is light.
Eph 5:14 Wherefore he saith, Awake thou that sleepest, and arise from the dead, and Christ shall give thee light.
Eph 5:15 See then that ye walk circumspectly, not as fools, but as wise,
Eph 5:16 Redeeming the time, because the days are evil.
Eph 5:17 Wherefore be ye not unwise, but understanding what the will of the Lord is.
Eph 5:18 And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit;
Eph 5:19 Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord;
Eph 5:20 Giving thanks always for all things unto God and the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ;

1Pe 5:6 Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, that he may exalt you in due time:
1Pe 5:7 Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you.
1Pe 5:8 Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour:
1Pe 5:9 Whom resist stedfast in the faith, knowing that the same afflictions are accomplished in your brethren that are in the world.
1Pe 5:10 But the God of all grace, who hath called us unto his eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after that ye have suffered a while, make you perfect, stablish, strengthen, settle you.
1Pe 5:11 To him be glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.

The peace of God be with all them that love HIS appearing!
God Bless You!
Travis

2010/1/3 19:06Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

MaryJane,

I used to be obsessed with the end times as well! You can speak to your friend but I would pray heavily first to at least have a door open for you because the Holy Spirit can give you the words that will move her.

If someone she really respects changes their direction, hers likely will to so you should probably include in your prayers those who have influence over her because she’s got this wild and crazy idea from somewhere. That’s half the joy of parenthood, telling your children about Jesus and praying with them!

The Lord is the only one who can open her eyes, only He can get through to us! Could someone have gotten through to you when you were in your obsessive state? No one could’ve gotten to me either!

2010/1/3 22:01Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

MaryJane,

I keep thinking about this question - it dogs me, maybe because in principle I can relate to these ladies. I am familiar with this fear, having been there, done that. Sometimes, at least in my case, it took the work of God to bring an end to this fear of the future.

A pivotal point in my life was when our 25 YO married daughter was diagnosed with terminal cancer. (The doctor told me she was dying and had only a few weeks to live without surgery.) She was our only daughter who had four brothers. I was crushed, I cried hard for two days. Then I knew I had to have this thing out with God. I could not live like this so that evening after I put my granddaughter to bed I confronted Him. I read the WORD, prayed, bared my heart to Him until peace came and with it came the knowledge that I am to live life to the full each and every day (make life happen) and if or when He does call her home, He will be with me at that point to carry me through. MaryJane, He did exactly as promised. And I did as was told to do. Until this time I never in my wildest imagination could have understood how this could be. (Oh, the comfort was supernatural. My husband's step-sister and her DH are family counselors. After relating to them what happened to me, they were quiet for a long time then said, "Sandra, what you experienced was supernatural." Yes, I knew that.)

My point is that it is futile to fear the end times calamities. What one should fear is walking in sin! Too many folks postpone doing what they know they should thinking they still have lots of time left. This is foolishness. One must live is submission and surrender in ALL things. Then God can work and fear will take a hike.

Anyhow, I hope this gives some encouragement to those who may grapple with this fear.

Blessings,
ginnyrose

2010/1/4 8:57Profile
MaryJane

Re:

Ginnyrose

Thank you for sharing your heart with me. To have the Lord give you that kind of peace is truly a miracle. I have read revelations a few times with a much different heart then I once did. I now see the entire letter as one of hope. Yes many things will take place in each of our lives...and yet He will be with each of us through it all. There is such hope and joy in knowing that no matter what comes in my life, Jesus is always there with me. Thank you so much for reminding me of this.

God Bless you
maryjane

2010/1/4 11:40Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

MaryJane,

I am so GLAD you found Revelation to be a message of HOPE!!! I find it the same. It is full of it. But you know what? You won't see it unless you read it with the aide of the Holy Spirit and a submitted heart, one willing to listen and learn.

Your testimony thrills me!

Blessings,
ginnyrose

2010/1/4 21:28Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy