SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Authentic Biblical Christianity.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : Using Smiley Faces

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Re:

Hi everyone.

Some people may not be aware of the changes that have been made and why they were made, but they may still be able to use the different features that are appearantly still in place because of knowing how to do them manually.

I for one, did not know that we are not supposed to use the bold or italic features anymore?

Really I'm not sure any of this is exactly clear?

At least we aught to be more cautious before accusing the different forum members here of being in rebellion?

Greg, what exactly is going on?

2010/1/2 16:25Profile
MaryJane

Re:

Greetings ChrisJD

I was just about to post the exact same thing that you did.

Heartsong, I think that we should be much more cautious then to accuse someone that has used a smile face of being in rebellion until things are made clear as to what is permissible.

In all honestly I did not even think that when the format was changed that Greg was now making a "no smile face" rule. It never even occurred to me. I actually never used those buttons when I posted to the forum before. I always typed in a colon, dash, and parenthesis to make my little yellow smile face.

Greg, I to am in need to some clarification as I do not want to break the rules.

thank you
God Bless
mj

2010/1/2 16:39Profile
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re:

Quote:
Greg, what exactly is going on?

brother Greg posted a while back this [url=http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=31950&forum=16&9]redesign[/url]

I just think he wants to "simplify" the forum, you are still able to make bold and italics through bbcode , or "manually" so to speak. This is a quote from one of the sticky post in the support forum.

Quote:
BBCode Here is some of the common BBCodes that are used. Please note that I cannot type the code exactly like I would or you will not be able to read it. Instead of using [ ]'s I will use { } . {code} instead of [code] Many of these you can just use the tools mentioned above, but some prefer to just type the code themselves. It's quicker for me to just type them. Bold {b} your text here {/b} Italics {i}Your text here {/i} Underlined {u} Your text here{/u} Quoting {quote} insert your quote here{/quote}

So italics and bold would be very ok and fine to use

2010/1/2 16:43Profile
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Re:

Christian,

Thank you. I did see the link that you posted here from Greg a while back but it didn't register with me exactly what was going on.

Since there is functionality left in 'BBCode' should there be a list of what things are not appropriate to use while that functionality is still in place?

Thanks,

Chris

2010/1/2 17:06Profile
MaryJane

Re:

Greetings hmmhmm

Thank you for explaining some of this. I am just wondering then since making a yellow smile face is still possible manually is it ok and fine to do so? You mentioned that it is fine to use the bold and italics but I still am unsure about the use of a smile face?

Sorry to bother you on such things but just trying to understand what the rules are governing these things.

Thank you and God bless
maryjane

2010/1/2 18:16Profile
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re:

Quote:
I still am unsure about the use of a smile face?

I am not 100% sure myself yet, i will ask brother Greg for a more specific guideline for posting. Since he is in Nepal right now and i ask all have some patience until he have a bit more time.

2010/1/2 18:31Profile
MaryJane

Re:

Greetings hmmhmm
Thank you for your response. I totally understand that Greg is busy I appreciate your heart and care in looking into this for us.

Thank you very much
God bless
maryjane

2010/1/2 18:44Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

Hi HeartSong...

Quote:
Chris, your example really does not work here. We all speak English.

Yes, but not everyone speaks English with kindness (or clarity). Thus, a smile can sometimes indicate a little more of the attitude behind the words in a post.
Quote:
Unfortunately, when I now see people using the little yellow round faces here on SI, instead of a merry heart, they scream of rebellion. The tool was removed from the toolbox. It is now our choice to either rebel, or comply. If we choose to rebel, we should search our hearts to determine the reason. As a guest, it would not be the way of Christ to go against that which has been suggested by the host.

Sister, I have not seen a prohibition toward smileys. If this was prohibited, I would certainly refrain from them (even if I possibly disagreed with the rationale). I have noticed that it can be very easy to voice determinations about the underlying condition of others (whether a lack of faith for using medicine, evil masquerading behind "smileys" or "rebellion" for even using them or mentioning a view about them). I think that it is much better to avoid drawing a quick or cynical conclusion about such things (especially publicly).

Just because someone thinks that a smiley represents "wearing a mask" or "rebellion" doesn't make it true. In fact, I think that it is sad that we should be forced to adhere to someone's own particular concept of what is pure or not. The Scriptures are clear that "[i]Unto the pure all things are pure: but unto them that are defiled and unbelieving is nothing pure; but even their mind and conscience is defiled[/i]" (Titus 1:15). I can sympathize with your personal conviction against "smileys," but I really think that it is a stretch to suggest that they are evil (or that the intentions of each person who uses them is evil).

I did see the thread about changes on the website, but I didn't see any sort of specific prohibition about bold type, italics or smileys. In fact, I don't think that I have ever seen this brought up until after you raised the issue in this thread (although I suppose that I could have missed it over the years). Is it really that much of a problem as to necessitate a rule about it? Personally, I think that there might be something wrong if, by an active imagination, we conjure up assumptions of evil simply from seeing a tiny yellow smile face that someone includes in a post. I have known plenty of godly men and women here over the years who used them and I never assumed anything evil behind it. My own mother uses them often in instant messages that she writes to me, and they are only meant to convey a happy thought or a cheerful attitude. I suppose that some people might use them deceptively...but I certainly wouldn't consider that the "norm."

Of course, Greg is the authority over this website, and I will certainly abide by any decision that he makes. As Brother HmmHmm stated, Greg is busy with the Lord's work in Nepal. I suppose that he will offer more clarity when he has the time. Until then, I would kindly suggest that we don't assume the worst if someone uses them.

May the Lord lead us all in a more excellent way.

2010/1/2 20:26Profile
HeartSong

Re:

Quote:
sermonindex said:
I do see some draw backs with not having the smiley faces and color but I feel in the end this is a much better way for this ministry.

This is perfectly clear to me. Is it not to everyone else?

2010/1/2 21:50Profile
MaryJane

Re:

Edited

2010/1/2 22:10Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy