SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Going with the flow, or being different?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
swani

South Africa

Going with the flow, or being different?

Maybe I can gain some understanding here. Why is it so important to be a part of the crowd, and to be accepted by them. Why do our children adopt role models whose lives are filled with all the evils you can imagine, and why do the values of respect, integrity and honesty, carry so little value today. Is it because we ourselves have relaxed our attitudes, or is it something we have missed?

I know all about the spiritual warfare we strive against and how our children become the frontline targets, but still, what attraction can there be which overcomes the rewards of eternal life in heaven rather than eternity in the fires of hell. How much more do I have to do to convince my children of the facts?

All I can do is hope and trust in God that the few things I managed to teach them, will prevail and bring them to a point of sanity, before it is too late.

2004/10/4 10:37Profile
theevangelist

United States Of America

Re: Going with the flow, or being different?

Proverbs tells us to "Train up a child in the way they should go and when they are old they will not depart from it." All you can do is pray and cry out to God that he will touch your children that the desires of this world will not overtake them but rather he would open their eyes to the Truth that there is more to life and it is in Christ Jesus.

2004/10/4 11:57Profile
hredii

Fresno CA

Re: Going with the flow, or being different?

Quote "How much more do I have to do to convince my children of the facts?"

I believe taking time each day and Catechize them will help. There is no sure thing.

I am only familiar with "The Westminster Shorter Catechism" Question #31 [b]What is Effective Calling?[/b] Answer. Effective calling is the work of God's Spirit, Who [u][b]Convinces[/b][/u] us that we are sinful and miserable, Who [u][b]Enlightens our minds[/b][/u] in the knowledge of Christ, and Who renews our wills. This is how He persuades and makes us able to receive Jesus Christ, Who is freely offered to us in the Gospel.

It is the Holy Spirit that convinces and enlightens a soul, so if they are now praying for that to happen to themselves you must do that for them, witch I am sure you are. Trust is God; Things might get worse before they get better. Pray your heart out now as if things were already very worse. My experience is after things get worse I say to myself I should of been praying harder before.

Those are my thoughts thank you for taking the time to read this. I hope it helps.

Also go through the 10 Commandment to give the a stong sense of the knowledge of sin.
Romans 7:7 I would not have known sin exept through the law. For I would not have known covetousness unless the law had said, "You shall not covet."
Romans 7:13 sin through the commandment might become exceedingly sinful.
Galatian 3:24 Therefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us to Christ, that we might be justified by faith.

2004/10/4 12:31Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
Maybe I can gain some understanding here. Why is it so important to be a part of the crowd, and to be accepted by them. Why do our children adopt role models whose lives are filled with all the evils you can imagine, and why do the values of respect, integrity and honesty, carry so little value today. Is it because we ourselves have relaxed our attitudes, or is it something we have missed?

Keep them away from the TV! Give them materials that will grow their minds and stretch them. Let their minds be provoked let them listen to adult conversations and praying. Let their role-models be you! or more better put Christ in you! Do you homeschool?

Quote:
I believe taking time each day and Catechize them will help. There is no sure thing.

Ahh yes using some good old catechism is very effective.. even for some adults in our day.. ohh how far we have fallen.

2004/10/4 13:53Profile
moreofHim

Re:

Quote:
Let their role-models be you! or more better put Christ in you!

The best thing we can do is live out our lives in Christlikeness as a model for our children. And love them unconditionally. I am not saying to be permissive but to let them know that they are loved and wanted no matter what they do.

-- "If we are to be Christian parents, our focus must be on Jesus Christ, rather than on family dynamics or on parental procedures. We are to "fix our eyes on Jesus, who is the author and finisher of our faith" (Heb. 12:2), which includes our faithful parenting. When Jesus Christ is allowed to function in the family, and His life is lived out through the parent, then we will see the family function as God designed it to function; not by formula, but by faith which is the receptivity of His activity.

As Christian parents we must recognize that "we are not adequate in ourselves to consider anything as coming from ourselves, but our adequacy is from God" (II Cor. 3:5). Jesus said, "Apart from Me, you can do nothing" (John 15:5), and that certainly applies to successful parenting. When we acknowledge our inability and weakness, then the strength and power of Christ becomes operative, and the grace of God is sufficient (II Cor. 12:9) in our parenting. Many a parent has come to that exasperating point where they cry out, "God, unless you do something in this family, it is going to be a total fiasco and failure!" God loves to hear that cry, for then He can begin to function as He desires.

Only God can do what really needs doing in the child's life anyway. Only God can convert and regenerate a child spiritually. Only God can save and sanctify a child, making them righteous and holy. Only God can make a Christian disciple out of your child, and develop His character in the child's personality.

The essence of Christian parenting is the life of Jesus Christ lived out before our children. That expression of Christ's life cannot be orchestrated by techniques and procedures or by how-to formulas, but only as Christian parents are faithfully receptive to the divine dynamic of His activity. Christian parenting is primarily a life expression of "Christ, who is our life" (Col. 3:4; cf. Jn. 14:6). It is His life that we pray might be invested in and indwell our children, but we cannot effect that ­ only God can!"
-J.F.

Pray and model Christlikeness.

Blessings, Chanin

2004/10/4 14:16Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
Proverbs tells us to "Train up a child in the way they should go and when they are old they will not depart from it."

Campbell Morgan used to draw attention to the fact that this verse is not a universal pattern but a pointer to individual training of each child. Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it. (Pro 22:6 KJV) The reference is to each particular child and the way that 'he' should go. Campbell Morgan writes: "Do we know what that means? The old idea was that it was the duty of father and mother, or teacher as the case may be, to make up their mind the way in which the child should go, and then to see to it that he or she went that way. But look at that a little carefully. In the Hebrew text there is no word 'go' There is one little word which be written 'peh' in English, and the statement here is, "Train up a child according to his own way." That may frighten some people. Does that mean that the child is to have its own way? Absolutley, but be careful. It does not say the child is to have its own wish or desire.
...Oh the horrible mistake of trying to take some child and make it like some other child. Every child has its own way, its own capacity."

This was the basis of Campbell Morgan's great sunday schools and saw all four of his sons following him into full time Christian service.

2004/10/4 14:25Profile
theevangelist

United States Of America

Re:

Quote:
The old idea was that it was the duty of father and mother, or teacher as the case may be, to make up their mind the way in which the child should go, and then to see to it that he or she went that way. But look at that a little carefully. In the Hebrew text there is no word 'go' There is one little word which be written 'peh' in English, and the statement here is, "Train up a child according to his own way." That may frighten some people. Does that mean that the child is to have its own way? Absolutley, but be careful. It does not say the child is to have its own wish or desire.

My parents raised me up in the way where "They were my Boss" and it done great for me. Spank them kids. Proverbs also tells to "spare not the rod"...unless somebody is going to say, that's not what the original Hebrew text meant either.

:-)

The Evangelist

2004/10/4 14:51Profile
swani

South Africa

Re:

I also grew up with strict discipline but balanced with fairness. It made me into a person with respect and high standards. But in todays lifestyle, this same method is regarded as child abuse, and we are left to simply let the child go his or her own way.

Is this how the evil one has influenced society so that our worst enemy lies within our own homes?

What is better, to be the enemy who controls with strict discipline to achieve an end, or to be the friend who compromises his own beliefs to remain a friend?

What would Jesus have done in the same situation?

2004/10/4 15:15Profile
rookie

Re:

S. Chanin wrote:

Quote:
The essence of Christian parenting is the life of Jesus Christ lived out before our children. That expression of Christ's life cannot be orchestrated by techniques and procedures or by how-to formulas, but only as Christian parents are faithfully receptive to the divine dynamic of His activity. Christian parenting is primarily a life expression of "Christ, who is our life" (Col. 3:4; cf. Jn. 14:6). It is His life that we pray might be invested in and indwell our children, but we cannot effect that ­ only God can!"
-J.F.

I fail all the time. But I have pointed my children to discern the intents of their heart. My son asked my wife recently, Do you have a voice that speaks to you? My wife said, that if the voice speaks of things of Jesus, listen to Him. The only way to discern, is to know the word of God. This we must teach our children.

Our children can see the intents of our hearts. Sometimes it is the flesh, and they point it out to us. If our love of Christ flows like a fountain out of us, our children will know the truth.

My son also sees the ways of the world. I help coach a youth football team. The head coach will profess to know Christ, and yet he will compromise his faith for the pursuit of winning. Kids are very preceptive. Teach them about the futility of this world.

"Let him not trust in futile things, deceiving himself, for futility will be his reward." Job 15:31

In Christ
Jeff

2004/10/4 15:47Profile
theevangelist

United States Of America

Re:

Quote:
What would Jesus have done in the same situation?

I know this is a serious subject, but I like a little humor, so my answer is...um, Jesus didn't have kids. Ha ha, I'm just trying to liven up the conversation. anyway, you're right. The public school systems tell children to scream child abuse if a parent corrects them. the immoral landslide of filth has corrupted many of our children today. The only thing I can say is raise your child the best you can in knowing the Lord. Apply the blood over them, fill their minds and hearts with God's precious Word. Through them learning and knowing God's word, they themselves will be able to discern what's right. My personal opinion isn't to just let the kids go out into the world of sin and find out themselves what it's about or until they get tired of it, in which case many Christian parents allow their kids to do. It's sad because you'll never know if you'll lose one of your kids to that eternal hell fire. But I'm an old-fashioned Pentecostal. I like what Joshua said. "Choose ye this day whom you will serve; as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord." That's what I believe.

2004/10/4 16:19Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy