SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : How do YOU spend time with the Lord?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Silo

How do YOU spend time with the Lord?

I’m come to realize that I’ve been getting so much knowledge but not enough intimacy with Jesus. (Duh, right) I hardly spend time alone with Him and that’s why I’m so defeated. I had it all wrong!!! I feel like I don’t even know Him.

How do YOU do it? And for how long? Do you get up early everyday with a devotional guide? Do you start off in silence or in the word? Where and How do I begin?

He has put this cry in me now.

2009/12/30 10:14Profile

Re: How do YOU spend time with the Lord?

Hi there Silo

Some take a special time out daily for the LORD, while others incorporate Him throughout the day. There is no formula to getting to know Him, but one general rule is that when He is pulling you away to be alone with Him, DO IT! For me, it's always when I am in the middle of doing something, with me, He is showing me that He is first in all things, therefore I must give Him that place. Now if I put Him on hold, after awhile of pushing Him away, He'll stop. (but not stop for good, just long enough so that we realize how much we need Him).

God is more in love with us, then we are with Him.

Here is something that I have learned from hearing the preaching of George Verwer here on SI, the message is called [url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/viewcat.php?cid=208]Discipline Part 1[/url]This message will quiet your spirit.

He says:

If you sow a thought, you reap an action.
If you sow an action, you reap a habit.
If you sow a habit, you reap a lifestyle.
If you sow a lifestyle, you reap an eternity.

This can be both good or bad.

2009/12/30 10:46
Lysa

East TN for now!

Dude,

It's not about us, it's about you and your walk with Jesus.

If I were you, just saying, I would put away every book and video EXCEPT the Bible and the Strong's concordance and some tablets of paper with colored pens.

Get away by yourself with nothing but those two books, paper and pens and resolve to not come out until God has spoken to you.

YOU CANNOT IMITATE OUR WALKS. I know you don't want to but with all your questions, you are likely too.

If He has put this cry into you now then it needs to BE YOU who seeks Him on His ground - with Bible and prayer.

If you have a job, you will have to do this around your job. I would stop everything (computer and tv usuage).

God bless you brother!

2009/12/30 10:52Profile
AbideinHim

Louisiana

Hi Silo,

I believe that you are well on you way to knowing the Lord intimately, if you will spend time in His presence and seek Him with all of your heart.

Many of us have read large amounts of the bible and have done studies on various topics. However, if we are not reading the Word (prayerfully), and asking the Holy Spirit to reveal the Word to us, much of the knowledge that we have is mental assent. We need to get the Word of God down into our hearts. We need to read the Word and pray the Word. God's Word is spirit and it is life, and each time that we read the Word, we are being strengthened in our inner man, and the Holy Spirit will bring back the Word to our remembrance as we need it. I tell all new believers to begin reading the gospel of John, and then move on to Romans, but we need to ask the Lord to direct us, and He will surely lead us.

Many times when we first go to the Lord in prayer, we spend much time bringing our needs to God. The Lord is concerned with our needs, but if we would come boldly to the throne of grace through the blood of Jesus in thanksgiving and praise, and get our minds on Him, then we would find that we are entering in to His presence.

One of the problems that many of us have is that we are much to busy to seek God in silence. As soon as we go to pray or meditate in His Word, our minds are bombarded with many needs of this life, and we go through prayer in a superficial way. It takes time to develop an intimate relationship with the Lord. It has to be our top priority.

God has put this cry in your heart, and the hunger and thirst for more of Him is a wonderful thing. If you continue to pursue God, you will find Him.

Mike

2009/12/30 11:55Profile

Re: Silo, Here's the Answer!

If we get off the Internet, and get off the 'high horse' that we and only we know everything about God, and come to God in all humility, with a heart willing to be corrected, we will surely spend quality time with the Lord.

Spending time on the Internet is one way of robbing you of your time with God. (All of us are culprits in this sense; but the religious bigots & the spiritual know-it-alls more so.)

We know very little about God. None dare appear in His presence. It is only the Blood of Jesus, that precious Blood (speaking of His great mercy) that brings us to God. Keep meditating on the Blood.

Spend at least a month meditating on Andrew Murray's book on the Power of the Blood.

Be blessed.

2009/12/30 12:28
AbideinHim

Louisiana

Re:

Quote:

"We know very little about God. None dare appear in His presence. It is only the Blood of Jesus, that precious Blood (speaking of His great mercy) that brings us to God. Keep meditating on the Blood."

And it is the blood of Jesus that gives us access into the presence of God.

2009/12/30 12:58Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy