Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Fasting

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
Lucash

Kentucky

Fasting

Just tonight, the Lord has put fasting on my heart. I don't know what to say. I have a yearning to fast, but I myself know nothing of fasting. Can I drink water? Can I brush my teeth? Because I could swallow a little water doing so. When I fast, I want to make sure I do it right, that is why I'm being so questionable. During my fast, what do I do? Do I read the Bible like I regularly do and then go on with my daily life only skipping all eating times? That sounds vague but I promise when I do read the Bible it is a deep diving into Gods word. If people relentlessly try to offer me food, and they give me that weird look when I tell them "I'm fasting." How do I back that up with scripture? I'd like some verses on fasting. Most of all, when I'm done fasting, what do I want to see myself get out of it. I listened to Tim Conway for the first time tonight and he explained it as a discipline to see how attached to food we really are. Sure, that sounds good, but I want to glorify God in the end. How do I know I did that when I end my fast?

2009/12/30 0:14Profile

Re: Fasting

III. POVERTY OF HEART

2544 Jesus enjoins his disciples to prefer him to everything and everyone, and bids them "renounce all that [they have]" for his sake and that of the Gospel.334 Shortly before his passion he gave them the example of the poor widow of Jerusalem who, out of her poverty, gave all that she had to live on.335 The precept of detachment from riches is obligatory for entrance into the Kingdom of heaven.

2545 All Christ's faithful are to "direct their affections rightly, lest they be hindered in their pursuit of perfect charity by the use of worldly things and by an adherence to riches which is contrary to the spirit of evangelical poverty."336

2546 "Blessed are the poor in spirit."337 The Beatitudes reveal an order of happiness and grace, of beauty and peace. Jesus celebrates the joy of the poor, to whom the Kingdom already belongs:338

The Word speaks of voluntary humility as "poverty in spirit"; the Apostle gives an example of God's poverty when he says: "For your sakes he became poor."339

2547 The Lord grieves over the rich, because they find their consolation in the abundance of goods.340 "Let the proud seek and love earthly kingdoms, but blessed are the poor in spirit for theirs is the Kingdom of heaven."341 Abandonment to the providence of the Father in heaven frees us from anxiety about tomorrow.342 Trust in God is a preparation for the blessedness of the poor. They shall see God.

IV. "I WANT TO SEE GOD"

2548 Desire for true happiness frees man from his immoderate attachment to the goods of this world so that he can find his fulfillment in the vision and beatitude of God. "The promise [of seeing God] surpasses all beatitude. . . . In Scripture, to see is to possess. . . . Whoever sees God has obtained all the goods of which he can conceive."343

2549 It remains for the holy people to struggle, with grace from on high, to obtain the good things God promises. In order to possess and contemplate God, Christ's faithful mortify their cravings and, with the grace of God, prevail over the seductions of pleasure and power.

2550 On this way of perfection, the Spirit and the Bride call whoever hears them344 to perfect communion with God:

There will true glory be, where no one will be praised by mistake or flattery; true honor will not be refused to the worthy, nor granted to the unworthy; likewise, no one unworthy will pretend to be worthy, where only those who are worthy will be admitted. There true peace will reign, where no one will experience opposition either from self or others. God himself will be virtue's reward; he gives virtue and has promised to give himself as the best and greatest reward that could exist. . . . "I shall be their God and they will be my people. . . . " This is also the meaning of the Apostle's words: "So that God may be all in all." God himself will be the goal of our desires; we shall contemplate him without end, love him without surfeit, praise him without weariness. This gift, this state, this act, like eternal life itself, will assuredly be common to all.345

IN BRIEF

2551 "Where your treasure is, there will your heart be also" (Mt 6:21).

2552 The tenth commandment forbids avarice arising from a passion for riches and their attendant power.

2553 Envy is sadness at the sight of another's goods and the immoderate desire to have them for oneself. It is a capital sin.

2554 The baptized person combats envy through good-will, humility, and abandonment to the providence of God.

2555 Christ's faithful "have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires" (Gal 5:24); they are led by the Spirit and follow his desires.

2556 Detachment from riches is necessary for entering the Kingdom of heaven. "Blessed are the poor in spirit."

2557 "I want to see God" expresses the true desire of man. Thirst for God is quenched by the water of eternal life (cf. Jn 4:14).

316 Ex 20:17; Deut 5:21.
317 Mt 6:21.
318 Cf. 1 Jn 2:16; Mic 2:2.
319 Cf. Wis 14:12.
320 Roman Catechism, III, 37; cf. Sir 5:8.
321 Roman Catechism, III, 37.
322 Cf. 2 Sam 12:14.
323 Cf. Gen 4:3-7; 1 Kings 21:1-29.
324 Wis 2:24.
325 St. John Chrysostom, Hom. in 2 Cor. 27, 3-4 PG 61, 588.
326 Cf. St. Augustine, De catechizandis rudibus 4, 8 PL 40, 315-316.
327 St. Gregory the Great Moralia in Job 31, 45: PL 76, 621.
328 St. John Chrysostom, Hom. in Rom. 71, 5: PG 60, 448.
329 Gen 3:6.
330 Cf. Rom 7:7.
331 Rom 7:23; cf. 7:10.
332 Rom 3:21-22.
333 Gal 5:24; cf. Rom 8:14, 27.
334 Lk 14:33; cf. Mk 8:35.
335 Cf. Lk 21:4.
336 LG 42 # 3.
337 Mt 5:3.
338 Cf. Lk 6:20.
339 St. Gregory of Nyssa, De beatitudinibus 1: PG 44, 1200D; cf. 2 Cor 8:9.
340 Lk 6:24.
341 St. Augustine, De serm. Dom. in monte 1, 1, 3: PL 34, 1232.
342 Cf. Mt 6:25-34.
343 St. Gregory of Nyssa, De beatitudinibus 6: PG 44, 1265A.
344 Cf. Rev 22:17.
345 St. Augustine, De civ. Dei, 22, 30: PL 41, 801-802; cf. Lev 26:12; cf. 1 Cor 15:28.

2009/12/30 0:17
vasilef

ROMANIA

Fasting for me means looking and waiting for God more than anything else, food, drink, TV etc. Depending on your condition you can give up food, drink or anything else takes your time and you like it.
I mainly refrain from food.

Fasting without prayer is not fasting. Pray any time you can pray. You don't necessarily have to stop your activities.
For anyone offering me some food I just say "thank you, I'm not eating (today)"

We glorify God when we are free from any bondage of sin and changed into the likeness of Jesus.

read Isaiah 58:1-8

2009/12/30 1:00Profile
Giggles

“But the days will come when the Bridegroom will be taken away from them, and then they will fast.” — Matthew 9:15

“Fasting begets prophets and strengthens strong men. Fasting makes lawgivers wise; it is the soul's safeguard, the body’s trusted comrade, the armor of the champion, the training of the athlete.” — Basil, Bishop of Caesarea (AD 330–379)

“Fasting . . . opens the way for the outpouring of the Spirit and the restoration of God’s house. Fasting in this age of the absent Bridegroom is in expectation of His return. Soon there will be the midnight cry, ‘Behold, the bridegroom! Come out to meet him.’ It will be too late then to fast and to pray. The time is now.” — God's Chosen Fast, Arthur Wallis

There has been a resurgence of fasting in recent decades, as God calls His people to regular fasting as part of a normal Christian lifestyle. We must prepare ourselves adequately so that the fast can honor God and fulfill its purpose. The following is a general overview of biblical precedent and guidelines for wise fasting to help and encourage you.

Fasting is Biblical

The practice of regular fasting as normal Christian behavior was taught by Jesus (Mt. 6:16–17, 9:15), exercised by the early church (Acts 13:2), and has been the regular discipline of believers throughout church history. The practice of fasting in Scripture usually includes, but is not limited to, abstinence from food (Dan. 10:3) and may be engaged in for varying durations—typically for no more than a few days at a time.

Abstaining from all food for extended periods of time is biblical, but was rare and unusual in Scripture (Ex. 34:28; 1 Kgs. 19:5-8; Lk. 4:2), and thus should never be undertaken without counsel and appropriate supervision. The same standard applies to an absolute fast (Esther fast—no food or water for three days) of any duration (Est. 4:16). The maximum length of an adult fast that is biblically supported is forty days without food, for a male adult in good health, and three days without water. The Bible does not speak of children engaging in fasting food.

Fasting is Always Voluntary

Though spiritual leaders may invite others to join in corporate fasting with a specific goal in mind and for a specific time, fasting can never be forced or made compulsory. The level at which a person engages in fasting (particularly food) should be determined according to age, and with regard to any physical limitations. Those with a known or suspected physical disability or illness, or those with any history of an eating disorder, should never fast, except in consultation with, and under the supervision of, a qualified doctor. Pregnant or nursing mothers should not fast food or drink as it could negatively affect the health and development of their baby and their own personal health.

Minors/Children

Minors are discouraged from fasting food and should never engage in fasting without express parental consent and oversight. Minors who desire to fast are encouraged to consider non-food abstentions, such as TV, movies, Internet surfing, video games and other entertainment. If older teenagers do fast food under their parents’ supervision, we encourage them to use juice and protein drinks to sustain them, out of consideration for their health and metabolism.

Fasting Regularly

Participation in regular fasting as a lifestyle necessitates a healthy lifestyle on days when food is not being fasted, and should include exercise and a proper diet. A “fasted lifestyle” is a disciplined lifestyle, in which we steward our bodies and time with wisdom and diligence. Fasting is not only abstention; it is an exchange where we abstain from certain things in order to “feast” on God’s Word and prayer, whereby the abundance of His grace is made more readily available to us. When undertaken with this type of commitment, a fasted lifestyle is sustainable on a long-term basis, just as it was for Daniel and his friends (Dan. 1).

The Benefits of Fasting

While the physical impact of fasting is real, the spiritual benefits of fasting are undeniable. Any fast undertaken must be done with spiritual wholeheartedness and wisdom when dealing with our physical body; we must count the cost honestly and honor the temple of the Holy Spirit. Whether we are partaking or abstaining, everything should be for the glory of God.

Physically Preparing for a Fast That Extends More Than Two Days
Prepare your body for the fast and prevent constipation during and after the fast by eating certain preventative foods at least two days beforehand (even longer before an extended fast), such as: fresh fruit and raw vegetables, fruit or vegetable juices, oatmeal, etc
Eat smaller meals a few days prior to the fast
Avoid high-fat and sugary foods before the fast
Make your commitment and determine the length. You can fast in many different ways. Pray and ask God what he will give you faith for in terms of the duration of the fast
A Daniel fast, with vegetables and water, is good for those carrying a heavy workload
A fruit or vegetable juice fast allows you to enter into fasting but still gives enough energy to function. Many people have done a 40-day juice fast. If you have sugar sensitivities or problems (e.g. diabetes), consult your doctor before attempting this (or any other) fast
A water-only fast has been undertaken by many people. We would not encourage this without strong medical supervision, particularly in the case of young people. Depending on your weight and metabolism, you can go forty days on water alone
A total fast is without food or water. Do not go beyond three days without water. Discuss your plans with your doctor, church leaders, and spouse or parents. We do not encourage this type of fast without specific confirmation from the Lord through your church leadership or parents

Helpful Hints for Your Fast (Physical)
Drink plenty of non-tap water. (Drinking at least half of your body weight in ounces of water per day is a good rule of thumb whether you are fasting or not.) Distilled water is most beneficial, but filtered and purified water also work well
It is wise to abstain from strong stimulants such as caffeinated and sugary drinks during a fast, including the artificial sweeteners found in diet drinks. Also, avoid soy protein drinks, which have been known to cause health problems during a fast
If you are on a juice fast, drink raw fruit juices such as apple, grape and pineapple, which are excellent sources of necessary natural sugar to stabilize blood sugar and keep energy levels up. Orange and grapefruit juice are also good, but these are not recommended for arthritis or allergy sufferers. Monitor juice acidity carefully as it can cause canker sores (mouth ulcers). Raw vegetable juices such as carrot, celery, beet or green vegetable combinations are excellent as well. Fresh fruit and vegetable juices can be made in a juice extractor or purchased ready-made (be sure to buy juices without any added sugars). Some of the benefits of drinking raw juice versus bottled are that it does not stimulate digestion (hunger) and it maintains all of its enzymes and nutritional value
Expect some physical discomforts because of the detoxification process, especially on the second day. You may have fleeting hunger pains or dizziness. Withdrawal from caffeine and sugar may cause headaches, but it is a part of the detoxification process. Physical annoyances may also include weariness, tiredness, nausea and sleepiness
During a fast, four major areas of the body are going through a detoxification process. Take care to attend to each of these:
The bowels/colon/large intestines — During a fast of three days or more, taking an herbal laxative (inquire at your local health store) or an enema before bedtime will help eliminate solid waste products; these can cause headaches and sluggishness if left in the body during a fast. This should be done early during the fast and then intermittently throughout the rest of the fast. The body begins detoxifying during a fast, depositing the toxins into the intestines. If you do not take a laxative or an enema, the toxins can hurt your intestines or reabsorb into your bloodstream, making you feel nauseous

The kidneys — Drinking fruit juices, vegetable juices, broth, or just plenty of water will remove many toxins via the kidneys
The lungs — If strength permits, walk half an hour during the day to help cleanse the lungs. Also do some deep breathing throughout the day by inhaling through the nose and exhaling through the mouth
The skin — Since one-third of the waste products eliminated during a fast are removed via the skin, adequate bathing is essential. Use a natural bristle body brush or loofah sponge on your skin prior to bathing, to help cleanse the skin

Helpful Hints for Your Fast (Spiritual)
Seek advice and permission before the fast. Seek medical advice before the fast, especially if you have any existing medical concerns or conditions. If you are under 18 years of age, discuss your desire to fast with your parents. Spiritual covering, submission, and unity are important factors when fasting. Discuss your plans with your church leaders. Remember, fasting is an attitude of the heart! Ask them if they would consider fasting with you
Fast and pray in order to humble yourself and purify your worship. In fasting we are not trying to get something from God, but seeking to realign our hearts’ affections with His. In fasting we can more readily say, “We love you, Lord, more than anything in the world.” Lust of any kind is perverted worship, but fasting enables us to cleanse the sanctuary of our hearts from every other rival
Don’t boast about your fast. Let people know you won’t be eating only if necessary (Mt. 6:16–18)
Do the fast with someone else. Two are better than one! We encourage parents and kids to consider fasting together. Several generations fasting together has a powerful impact
Have a clear target as your prayer focus. Without a vision (a clear, prophetic prayer goal), the people perish. Write down your vision, so you can run with it (Hab. 2:2)
Take time to pray and read the Word. This may seem obvious, but busyness and distractions can keep you from devotions. Reading books with testimonies of victories gained through fasting will encourage you, too. Shaping History through Prayer and Fasting by Derek Prince, Fast Forward by Lou Engle, and God’s Chosen Fast by Arthur Wallis are just some of the books about fasting that are available
Expect to hear God’s voice in the Word, dreams, visions and revelations. Daniel prepared himself to receive revelation through fasting (Dan. 10:1–2). There is a fasting reward (Mt. 6:18)
Prepare for opposition. On the day of your fast you can bet that donuts will be at the office or in class. Your spouse (or your mom) will suddenly be inspired to cook your favorite meals. Press through. Many times you may feel more tension build at home. Satan tempted Jesus on the fast, and we must expect the same. Discouragement may come in like a flood, but recognize the source and take your stand on the victory of Christ
If you fail, don’t give in to condemnation. The “to fast or not to fast” dilemma can be a major tool of the enemy. Even though you may fail several times, God always extends grace. Just hit the “delete” button and continue on your fast
Feel free to rest a lot and continue to exercise with supervision
Breakthroughs often come after a fast, not during it. Do not listen to the lie that nothing is happening. It is our conviction that every fast done in faith will be rewarded

How to Successfully Break Your Fast
Break your fast gradually. At this point you will need to exercise watchful self-control. Break your fast on a meal that is light and easy to digest (i.e., a pound of grapes, a shredded apple, watermelon or steamed vegetables)
When breaking a fast of ten days or more, the break-in period should be extended one day for every four days of fasting
A fast of three days or more should never be broken by eating a normal meal (including animal proteins, bread, sugar, dairy and processed foods) because these heavy foods put a severe strain and shock on the digestive organs which have been resting throughout the fast. Eating too heavily after a fast can produce serious discomfort (stomach cramps, nausea and weakness) and can nullify the physical benefits of fasting; it can also cause serious irreversible complications
After breaking an extended fast, continue drinking fruit or vegetable juices because the stomach is continuing to detoxify
During any fast exceeding two days, your stomach will shrink. Do not over-expand it again by overeating. If you have been prone to eat too heavily, guard against going back to this habit. If you train yourself to eat more lightly, your stomach will adjust itself accordingly
While continuing to drink fruit or vegetable juices, add the following:
1st–3rd day after the fast (increase amount of days for extended fast) — Eat fruit and raw/steamed vegetables only. Example meals for the first few days are a pound of fruit, a baked or boiled potato without butter, steamed vegetables, or a vegetable-only salad without oil-based dressing. Avoid bananas for the first few days; they have no juice in them and can easily cause constipation
Thereafter — you may return to heavier foods such as animal proteins, but maintaining a healthy diet after the fast will promote lifelong health and allow you to fast correctly in the future
Take extra care in breaking a water fast. Begin with drinking fruit or vegetable juices and gradually ease into eating fruit and steamed vegetables
It is important after a fast to begin to discern between real hunger and cravings so you do not feed your cravings

Important Medical Information
Years of fasting incorrectly can cause permanent physical damage to your body. These negative effects are not typically felt at a young age, but they will accumulate after years of fasting. In their zeal, some people have begun fasting in an extreme way before understanding how fasting physically affects the body; increasing your understanding and taking care of your body while both fasting and eating will ensure your ability to live the fasted lifestyle for many years to come
Pregnant or nursing mothers should never fast all food and/or drink, as fasting could be very dangerous to their baby’s development and health, and their own personal health. Pregnant or nursing mothers could engage in types of fasting such as giving up certain kinds of food. However, women who are pregnant or nursing must always maintain a balanced diet. Any kind of fasting which leads to detoxification could be dangerous to the baby as the toxins can affect the baby via the mother’s milk or her bloodstream
People who have struggled with eating disorders in the past, should undertake any fasting with wisdom and caution. Fasting should not be used as a motive for weight-loss; it is important to enter back into "normal" healthy eating after a long fast (as described in the previous section)
If you have a diagnosed illness and/or are taking prescription medicine, fasting should only be done under the direct supervision of a doctor or healthcare professional
Some people have trouble fasting and become extremely hungry, dizzy and nauseous because they have undiagnosed low blood sugar, so they should drink fruit and vegetable juices to help keep the blood sugar stable during short fasts. If the juice contains too much sugar for your system, dilute it by 50 percent with water or drink a “green drink” (made by juicing carrots, celery, spinach and parsley). If these or any symptoms persist, you should stop fasting and seek immediate professional help from a doctor or healthcare professional
If you are having digestive trouble after breaking a fast (i.e., diarrhea), mix a cup of unsweetened applesauce with a cup of cooked brown rice. This should stop the diarrhea. Also, take digestive enzymes (inquire at your local health store) to aid your stomach’s digestive transition

Further Resources worth checking out:
Shaping History through Prayer and Fasting, Derek Prince
God’s Chosen Fast, Arthur Wallis
Hunger for God, John Piper

info taken from ihop.org

2009/12/30 4:53Profile

Lucash, nothing can be worse than not brushing your teeth while fasting. Otherwise your mouth stinks.
You dont have to tell everyone you're fasting unless you wish to imitate the Pharisees.

2009/12/30 6:44

Re:

Dear sister Giggles,
Must you cut and paste so much stuff on fasting? I havent broken my fast this morning and I feel quite weak reading all that you pasted. Makes of feel youve never done any real fasting in your life.
It would have been more edifying had you given us your personal experiences of fasting. Imho, those who fast dont babble or boast about it.

2009/12/30 6:57
Lysa

East TN for now!

Lucash,

first off, pay no attention to SueMaria.

Secondly, fasting is NOT about doing it right. Our perfection is what gets us in trouble. It's not about getting a little bit of water into your mouth brushing your teeth and that question is ok b/c you should drink water with your fast. If you drink juice, you really should make it half juice and half water b/c the sugar in the juice will spike your blood sugar and that blood sugar drop is a doosey!

Thirdly, fasting is NOT about explaining yourself to other people. [b]Tell no one you are fasting![/b] When they hand you food, tell them you ate before you got there (and in your mind you can say "food that you not of")!!! Truly it's not a lie!

People seem to accept "I've already eaten" without argument. If you himhall around, that brings attention to yourself and they will ask a bunch of questions that put the focus on you instead of Jesus.

I would encourage you to go about your regular duties (i.e. work, church, reading your Bible and add extra prayer if you can). I would stay away from any exertion (i.e. exercise, long up hill hikes (did that once while hiking, I learned not to do it again), tennis, etc.

PS: You can't learn unless you just do it! God is looking for obedience not necessarily following every jot and tiddle of what every person on here says (including me).

God bless you in your fast when ever you take part in it!

2009/12/30 9:18Profile

Re:

Lysa, let's be honest about it. Did you really go through all that cut & paste stuff of Giggles? Have you read something like that at 3 am in the morning and not got a headache.

I like the way you take my points and use them to advise Lucash. Perhaps you aint aware that fasting causes bad breath, and we MUST brush our teeth & rinse our mouth frequently while fasting.

2009/12/30 9:52
Lysa

East TN for now!

Re: SueMaria

A female troll... that's different!

2009/12/30 10:00Profile
Miccah

Wisconsin

Re:

SueMaria,

First you say...

Quote:
I havent broken my fast this morning and I feel quite weak reading all that you pasted.

Then you go on to say...

Quote:
Imho, those who fast dont babble or boast about it.

Your hypocrisy and prideful attitude needs to be repented of. There is nothing humble (i.e. imho) about you or your postings on SI.

[b]Matthew 6:16-18[/b]

“Moreover, when you fast, do not be like the hypocrites, with a sad countenance. For they disfigure their faces that they may appear to men to be fasting. Assuredly, I say to you, they have their reward. But you, when you fast, anoint your head and wash your face, so that you do not appear to men to be fasting, but to your Father who is in the secret place; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you openly."

2009/12/30 10:13Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy