SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : A Homesickness, A Hunger For God

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
moreofHim

A Homesickness, A Hunger For God

The greatest enemy of hunger for God is not poison but apple pie. It is not the banquet of the wicked that dulls our appetite for heaven, but endless nibbling at the table of the world. It is not the x-rated video, but the prime-time dribble of triviality we drink in every night. For all the ill that Satan can do, when God describes what keeps us from the banquet table of His love, it is a piece of land, a yoke of oxen, and a wife (Luke 14:18-20). The greatest adversary of love to God is not his enemies but His gifts. And the most deadly appetites are not for the poison of evil, but for the simple pleasures of earth. For when these replace an appetite for God Himself, the idolatry is scarcly recognizable and almost incurable.

Jesus said some people hear the word of God, and a desire for God is awakened in their hearts. But then, "as they go on their way they are choked with worries and riches and pleasures of this life"(luke 8-14). In another place he said, "The desires for other things enter in and choke the word, and it becomes unfruitful". "The pleasures of this life" and "the desires for other things"- these are not evil in themselves. These are not vices. These are gifts from God. They are your basic meat and potatoes and coffee and gardeing and reading and decorating and traveling and investing and tv-watching and internet-surfing and shopping and exercising and collecting and talking. And all of them can become deadly substitutes for God.

The more deeply you walk with Christ, the hungrier you get for Christ....the more homesick you get for heaven...the more you want "all the fullness of God"...the more you want to be done with sin...the more you want the Bridegroom to come again...the more you want the Church revived and purified with th beauty of Jesus...the more you want a great awakening to God's reality in the cities...the more you want to see the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ penetrate the darkness of all the unreached peoples of the world...the more you want to see pain relieved and tears wiped away and death destroyed...the more you long for every wrong to be made right and the justice and grace of God to fill the earth like the waters cover the sea.

If you don't feel strong desires for the manifestation of the glory of God, it is not because you have drunk deeply and are satisfied. It is because you have nibbled so long at the table of the world. Your soul is stuffed with small things, and there is no room for the great. God did not create you for this. There is an appetite for God. And it can be awakened. I invite you to turn from the dulling effects of food and the dangers of idolatry, and to say with some simple fast:"This much,O God, I want you."

-John Piper (A Hunger For God)

2004/10/4 9:27Profile
Agent001

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Re: A Homesickness, A Hunger For God

Thanks for sharing, moreofhim.

I have not read [i]A Hunger for God[/i] (yet), but I really enjoyed Piper's [i]Desiring God[/i]. It's true, God can be experienced and be enjoyed, because we are designed by God to do so in his original purpose.

Just my two pennies.

2004/10/4 10:05Profile
Spitfire

Re: A Homesickness, A Hunger For God

...the idolatry is scarcely recognizable and almost incurable.
Oh Chanin! Thank you for sharing that. I've just been thinking about these very things, just how we have lived so long with the world's mentality it's almost incurable. You know, the fear, the incessant push to get us to take matters into our own hands, Satan's big deception, "what are you gonna do now?", "You know, you really must do something or else this whole mess will be your stupid fault". "Hurry, Hurry" . It all makes me sick. I've been the world's worst, but praise God he is giving me eyes to see and ears to hear. Oh, what a miracle! I once was blind but now I see. Praise God in heaven! I appreciate your heart, Sister. Love, Dian.

2004/10/4 14:23Profile
moreofHim

Re: Homesickness/Hunger for God

I thought I'd bring this post back up again. I was going through some of my older saved articles and when i read it again it made me thing of this wonderful quote by my 'mentor' :-) -Oswald Chambers:

[color=006600][b]"How many people have you made homesick for God?" [/color][/b]

In Him, Chanin

2005/12/1 20:27Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy