SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Father of 'Jesus People' suffers minor stroke

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Father of 'Jesus People' suffers minor stroke

[b]Father of 'Jesus People' suffers minor stroke[/b]

The pastor who became the father of the "Jesus People" movement in Southern California is recuperating in a local hospital after reportedly suffering a minor stroke.

Pastor Chuck Smith, 82, is the senior pastor of Calvary Chapel Costa Mesa. According to a report from Assist News Service, Brian Brodersen, who is both associate pastor at the church and is Smith's son-in-law, said he visited Smith in the hospital over the weekend and "he is doing well."

He said, "Pastor Chuck suffered a minor stroke at his home and a medical person staying there called 911 and he was taken to the hospital." ...

read more: [url=http://www.sermonaudio.com/new_details.asp?ID=28604]http://www.sermonaudio.com/new_details.asp?ID=28604[/url]

2009/12/29 8:56Profile

Re: Father of 'Jesus People' suffers minor stroke

I hope he has a full recovery. For this to happen is sad, especially during this time of the year.

2009/12/29 9:31
AbideinHim

Louisiana

Update on Chuck Smith

Pastor Chuck Smith Recovering from Two Minor Strokes

by Dan Wooding, ASSIST News Service

COSTA MESA, CA - Pastor Chuck Smith, 82, senior pastor of Calvary Chapel Costa Mesa, California, and the father of the “Jesus People” phenomenon in Southern California, has suffered two “minor stroke” and is in a local hospital.

Pastor Chuck Smith preaching at Calvary Chapel Costa Mesa

“I have just been to visit him today in the hospital and he is doing well,” said Brian Brodersen, who serves as associate pastor to Chuck Smith at Calvary Chapel Costa Mesa, and is married to Cheryl, one of Chuck and Kay Smith’s daughters.

“Pastor Chuck suffered a minor stroke at his home and a medical person staying there called ‘911’ and he was taken to the hospital.”

Greg Laurie, senior pastor of Harvest Christian Fellowship, Riverside, California, said on his blog, “Last night, Pastor Chuck Smith was taken to the hospital and had what was described by his doctor as a ‘mini-stroke.’ His doctor expects him to make a full recovery.”

Laurie, who runs the massive Harvest Crusades around the world, added, “Let’s remember this beloved man of God in prayer, that the Lord would touch, bless, and heal him.”
Mike MacIntosh and Sandy

Like Greg Laurie, Mike MacIntosh, senior pastor of Horizon Christian Fellowship in San Diego was also discipled by Chuck Smith.

Mike told ANS, “Pastor Chuck Smith is strong and will recover from this physical ailment. It is difficult to see someone you love be in the hospital.

“Our prayers should be for their children, Jan, Jeff, Cheryl and Chuck Jr., and their many grandchildren. We must not forget Kay who has adored Chuck for 50 plus years of marriage.”

Mike MacIntosh was one of the early converts in those early days of the “Jesus People” and, because of personal problems, he was divorced from his wife, Sandy. After both Mike and Sandy found Christ as their Savior, they were re-married at Calvary Chapel Costa Mesa, by Pastor Chuck.

BACKGROUND ON CHUCK SMITH

Back in the late sixties and early seventies, a quietly spoken pastor called Chuck Smith became the surrogate “Father” of thousands of hippies who flocked to the “Big Tent” at Calvary Chapel of Costa Mesa, California, and found Jesus Christ as their Savior.

Mass baptism at Pirates Cove

Thousands of these new converts were baptized at Pirates Cove, Corona del Mar, California, including my two sons, Andrew and Peter, who were not old enough to be hippies.

Out of this extraordinary move of God was birthed the modern-day worship music and contemporary Christian music when the converted hippies began writing their new music and then, after auditioning each song before “Pastor Chuck”, they played it in the tent scores of Jesus People bands were born and soon Maranatha! Music was born, which brought this music to a wide audience.

The hippies, many of who lived in communes around the church, were then schooled in the Bible by Chuck Smith with his verse-by-verse teaching through the Scriptures and many have gone on to pastor some of the largest churches in America. Also, Calvary Chapel has spawned many churches, not just in the United States, but around the world.

2009/12/30 12:25Profile
Joyful_Heart

Re: Update on Chuck Smith

AWWW, Dear Pastor Chuck,
My prayers are for you and your lovely family. I never knew him personally but I was one of those who were saved in 1970 in a Christian commune! I was born loving Jesus, the Son of the virgin Mary and the Son of God. But I didnt know him until I was 23 and had been searching for the "right" religion. I wanted the "real" one. I came across two people who invited me to a home. I had never experienced such unconditional love. I was a wanna-be hippie - but saw the hypocrisy of it all. I went to my first Bible study in the living room of this commune and a 17 year old with a huge afro gave the study. The H.S. convicted me so much I thought, how did this person know so much about me! Then after the study a 16 year old asked me if I had ever been born again. I said, I don't believe in reincarnation. Never hearing of it before. He shared with me and I prayed the sinners prayer and cried for about an hour. It was a Saul-Paul conversion. My love for R&R left, smoking left and all I wanted was more of Jesus and the Word of God. I told everyone I knew and didn't know, I shared the love of Jesus on the streets, at the campuses etc. I ate the Word of God. Then later the H.S. reminded me of my seeking after the Truth and how I got the right religion. It was not in a denomination but I was taken straight to Jesus!!!! He is the one and only way to God.
So I thank our dearest Lord for His Word that if we ask we shall receive and if we seek, we will find. I didn't care which denomination - I just wanted Truth. And I got it.
Blessing to you my brother Chuck and your family for your love and obedience. I am blessed as are others. We shall be in His Glory for Eternity together. In Christ, Sheri

2010/1/15 12:07Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy