SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Finis Dake?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
TimmyJoe

Panama City, FL

Finis Dake?

I have had some godly men recommend Dake's Bible and his other writings, but most of what I have heard about his stuff is negative. Is his stuff sound?

2009/12/28 17:18Profile
Solomon101

America's Flyover Country

Re: Finis Dake?

If a person judges him fairly by his own writings then most evangelicals will find a great deal in common with Dake. Classic Pentecostals will find an even wider common ground of agreement. He is thoroughly solid in most all areas. However, there will certainly be areas of personal difference with Dake as a person would have with any writer they honestly read after.

I had a professor in college that knew Finis Dake fairly well. He said that he agreed with Dake in a great many areas. He also said that there was no reason to debate Dake on any area of disagreement. Dake simply knew far to much scripture to bolster his positions, and possessed the ability to incisively use it, to ever win a debate on doctrinal points with him.

Blessings To You.

2009/12/28 17:50Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

He copied many things from Bullingers "companion bible" and also he is very dispensational also. But I would say you could gleam many good things.

The best thing to do is have a simple bible version that you read to "obey". You can use any bible version this way and God will lead you into walking in the truth.

2009/12/28 17:57Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re: Finis Dake?

I agree with Greg on this. There are plenty of great things contained in the margins of a Dake's Annotated Study Bible. While I disagree with some of those things that are listed, there are plenty of "lists" that I find quite helpful. I have a Dake's Study Bible, but I use it only when looking up those lists or just to see what he says about a certain verse (always, like everything, with a "grain of salt").

:-)

2009/12/28 18:14Profile

Re: Dakes Bible

I remember a friend suggested Dake's Bible, and he purchased it at great cost. A glance through Dake suggested that just as the Devil knows Scripture more than us, so Dake's lengthyy annotations and lists impress people who have a fondness for displaying their knowledge about the Bible.

Sound Bible scholars have warned us about Dake, but the children of Adam love to eat of the fruit of the tree of the knowledge of good & evil. Knowledge puffs up, brothers. Beware!

2009/12/28 20:30
TimmyJoe

Panama City, FL

Re:

Quote:
The best thing to do is have a simple bible version that you read to "obey". You can use any bible version this way and God will lead you into walking in the truth.

You're right Greg. It is very easy to get so caught up reading, what this guys says and that guys says, that you forget about simple obedience to scripture. Thanks alot guys.

2009/12/29 17:50Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

Good point, TimmyJoe.

I tend to read the Word in an edition that is lacking any commentary or doctrinal peculiarities. It is "just" the Word of God (if one could say such a thing). Looking back, I am thankful that I didn't get influenced by doctrinal persuasions after I met the Lord.

I spent the summer that I came to Christ pouring over the Word of God. I probably would have liked study aids, but I am thankful that I was limited at the time to "just" the Word of God and a Strong's concordance. When I later heard debates over certain doctrinal concepts, I was shocked. I suppose that I was familiar enough with the Word of God that I could quickly determine some notions were extra-biblical.

Sadly, I know some believers who admit (and almost [i]boast[/i]) that they have never read the Word of God all the way through. This troubles me. Many people will read a book or novel in less than a week; yet, some of these same people will not read the complete Word of God in an entire decade. Now, I have heard that they prefer to read it slowly so that they can "digest" it. However, I think that it is best to do BOTH. You can contemplate and slowly digest smaller sections of the Word...and also read through it in its entirety.

More importantly -- we should have the attitude that we can never get enough! We should crave it daily! I know people who quote a verse about "too much honey" as they boast that they are familiar enough with God and His Word that they aren't legalistically "confined" to reading it so often. I think that this is a misapplication of the verse. The Word of God is NOT honey to be poured out at random. It is the very substance of a believer! We live in a generation where we have the very words of God at our finger tips...but we neglect it!

I am happy that we have commentaries or study Bibles to consult for a different opinion or look at a matter. However, I think that the Spirit of God is suffice to "lead us and guide us into all truth." I suppose that I am disheartened that we live in a generation in which so many have so much but show so little. Even worse: There are people who know so much that just isn't really true.

2009/12/29 18:07Profile

Re:

Quote:
It is very easy to get so caught up reading, what this guys says and that guys says, that you forget about simple obedience to scripture.

You're right! But all of us have our favorites; what others call heroes or idols. I notice that many of us have our blind spots and the recommendations we make only lead to more people neglecting the Bible and beginning to worship men. Sometimes an Internet forum can be like Babel. You can never get sane advice.

Read the Bible, again & again & again. That's what I say! And Matthew Henry and John Bunyan are good helps; they belong to a bygone age, but are far better than the frivolous preachers we are so fascinated about.

2009/12/29 19:15
Leo_Grace

The Word is central to faith

Dear Chris,

Quote:
Sadly, I know some believers who admit (and almost boast) that they have never read the Word of God all the way through. This troubles me. Many people will read a book or novel in less than a week; yet, some of these same people will not read the complete Word of God in an entire decade. Now, I have heard that they prefer to read it slowly so that they can "digest" it. However, I think that it is best to do BOTH. You can contemplate and slowly digest smaller sections of the Word...and also read through it in its entirety.

More importantly -- we should have the attitude that we can never get enough! We should crave it daily! I know people who quote a verse about "too much honey" as they boast that they are familiar enough with God and His Word that they aren't legalistically "confined" to reading it so often. I think that this is a misapplication of the verse. The Word of God is NOT honey to be poured out at random. It is the very substance of a believer! We live in a generation where we have the very words of God at our finger tips...but we neglect it!

I am happy that we have commentaries or study Bibles to consult for a different opinion or look at a matter. However, I think that the Spirit of God is suffice to "lead us and guide us into all truth." I suppose that I am disheartened that we live in a generation in which so many have so much but show so little. Even worse: There are people who know so much that just isn't really true.

I couldn't agree with you more. It has always been my understanding that one of the basic characteristics of a true believer is that of feeding on the Word each and everyday to gain spiritual strength (Jn 1:14, Jn 6:56). Some dismiss daily Bible reading as a modern-day legalism that should be ignored; they turn to emotional visions and experiences to seek God's will. While I am not saying that these experiences are necessarily wrong, they should never be sought in replacement of reading God's Word (1Pe 1:23-25).

2009/12/29 19:18Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy