Image Map
Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : Being filled with the Holy Spirit

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
MaryJane

Being filled with the Holy Spirit

Greetings

Quote:
Totally Immersed! Let me draw a picture for you to help illustrate this idea. Suppose you have a bucket of water. Let’s say that being in the bucket of water is the same as being in Christ. Now picture a cup of water with a lid on it. The cup is like the individual that has Christ inside of them. In order for this person to be a Christian, he must be in Christ. So the filled cup must be in the bucket of water. If a person is filled with the Holy Ghost, he will be totally in Christ—the cup will sink to the bottom. However, if a person is not filled with Christ, if there is air in his cup, he will float to the top. If we are not filled with the Holy Spirit, as an individual, we may be in Christ and be saved, but we may never really be totally immersed in Jesus. Paul wrote to the Church in Galatia (ch. 4), “I am in the pains of childbirth, like I am about to have a baby. I am having labor pains until Christ is formed in you.” He was writing to people in the Church of Galatia who were already saved (it says that in chapter 3). There was much weakness in this Church, however. They did not have Christ fully formed in them. They had some air in them, the air of the world, rather than just Christ. So they floated to the top. They were not totally immersed in the Spirit of Christ. Because they were not individually, totally filled with Christ, they didn’t sink totally into Christ. Romans 12:1-2 states that in order to know the good, perfect and pleasing will of God—in order to truly hear God as an individual, we must not conform to the “patterns of the world.” We must not love what the world loves. We must not think like the world thinks or talk like they talk. We must raise our families differently than the world does. We must spend our time and money differently than the world spends their time and money. God said that our spiritual worship is not to be like the world in any way. God said to have our minds transformed, like from a caterpillar to a butterfly, by the Word of God. Then we can hear God. “Then we can know the good, perfect and pleasing will of God.” If we have some of the world in us, instead of being transformed by the Word of God, we float to the top. Even though we can be in Christ and be saved, we are no longer deep in the purposes of God.

The above thoughts are from a teaching I am reading. I am praying and seeking to understand what it means to be filled with the Holy Spirit. I have some history with this that was very painful and I believe at the time was more about self and not truly of Him. Since that time I left all notions of being filled with the Holy Spirit on the shelf for the last 10 plus years. However I feel such a drawing from Him now to understand His heart on this. I know many have shared from their hearts of the wonderful blessing it has been in their lives to walk with Him in such a way, each time I read these testimonies a part of me feels a bit of emptiness in my heart, as if I am missing some tiny piece of the puzzle.(this is the best way I can think to explain what is in my heart) I know there are many teachings on this subject that I hope to get through those that best express His heart on the matter. If you have one that has particularly helped you in your journey to know the purposes of God, to be filled with His Holy Spirit to the full...please do share them!

God Bless
maryjane

2009/12/27 14:57Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy