SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : Self Reliance in Ministry - Nee

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
AbideinHim

Louisiana

Self Reliance in Ministry - Nee

"But how much self-reliance obtains in Christian service. More effort is exerted in planning and arranging than in waiting upon the Lord. Double is the time expended on preparing the division and conclusion of a sermon than on receiving the power from on high... because there is so much trust in the flesh."

2009/12/22 21:57Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re: Self Reliance in Ministry - Nee

Quote:
More effort is exerted in planning and arranging than in waiting upon the Lord.

this is a great quote and very much needed to be addresses and heeded by many. Oh that ministries would be more devoted to the Lord. I admit at times I fall in the category of this. Please Lord keep me and sermonindex fully seeking you for everything that is done.

2009/12/22 23:38Profile
Areadymind

Pacific Ocean

Re:

A good friend of mine and I were talking about this exact thing over the phone last night. He was of the opinion that unbelief is one of the biggest problems today, I used a similar example to suggest where that unbelief plays out in ministry. We lean way to much on understanding, and not enough on the Lord. We ought learn from the warning against Bethsaida and Korazin. All of us who frequent this sight ought to take this exhortation seriously and ask the Spirit's help to learn to wait patiently for God to do his work. Thank God for brother Nee.

2009/12/23 10:28Profile
JoanM

Re: Self Reliance in Ministry - Nee

This quote highlights the flesh. But this morning I had a related visual picture that caused great rejoicing prayer.

[u]Background[/u]. For weeks now, as my fellowship wrestles with the "worship" issue (plenty of flesh there), I am amazed at the correspondence of the encouragement to prayer I stumble across and then offer, my structured bible study, and the sermons. Everything I encounter finds its way into prayer. Even guest preachers, unknown to our new pastor, seem to be in on what God is saying to our fellowship.

Here is the picture and it caused me to laugh: Picture a boxing ring, with many people of all ages, infants to very old men, with one standing out from all the rest -- all gathered in one corner. Across the ring three dark figures. The announcer says: [b]Ladies and gentlemen! In this corner we have the body of [my fellowship] and their head....And in this corner we have the World, the Flesh, and the Devil[/b].

I share this here for two reasons. [u]First[/u], I think this gives a proper, freeing perspective. Lets get clear about this, about "who/what" is at fault here. [I also think there has been a spiritual breakthrough locally - if only in me]. [u]Secondly[/u], I think what occurs around us, day to day, is like a side-effect of our individual relationship with Him. This is as true for a pastor crafting a sermon (the example given here) as it is for a housewife struggling to get the repairman to do a good job or worker in a giant corporation.

Both God and His adversary(ies) have their way and tools. Its all about how we go about aour days. And when dark/difficult/alarming situations arise, identifying what the source is. And putting that source in its own corner is in order. He gives us each day just what is needful. Oh, that we would apply it. Like OK. Which one is this one and what did God last say to me? What He gives us all day long is for application in what we do.

Do pastors really not hear and learn in seminary that leaders take people where they have already gone, that difficulties they encounter are the ones that their unique flock needs guidance through, that bodies are one and everything that is LIVING is anointed.

YES, None of this is a piece of cake because all are growing. Each is. But we do know the Way. Oh Father, set us on the King's Highway and keep us there. May we feed on Christ and obey, follow in His way.

OK, this reads, even to me, like a strange response to this thread. Its a good thing you love me and patiently forgive.

2009/12/23 15:04Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy