SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : "Killing in the Name" #1 Christmas Song in UK

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
HeartSong

"Killing in the Name" #1 Christmas Song in UK

[b]Beating Simon Cowell at his own game[/b]

London, England (CNN) -- Last week, he was the anonymous leader of the Facebook campaign to oust Simon Cowell's "X Factor" winner Joe McElderry. This week he's probably fielded more calls than his musical nemesis.

Jon Morter told CNN's Becky Anderson that a chance viewing of UK talent show "The X Factor" a few weeks ago got his own creative juices flowing.

"I was watching along and my thoughts progressed towards Christmas thinking they're just going to get another Christmas number one. And I thought, that's boring. Let's do something about this."

The rest, as they say, is history. Morter's campaign on Facebook to get Rage Against The Machine to the Christmas number one slot was a resounding success with over 500,000 singles downloaded.

The song "Killing in the Name" is probably the least festive single ever to top the UK charts. But that didn't bother Morter as the song has been a favorite of his for years.

"It's been part of me growing up for the past 10-15 years. Does it send the right message? I don't know really. It was just to stick something else at number one that was different, that wasn't a sugary ballad. Something with a bit of kick to it," he said.

For Morter, the campaign was about redressing the balance that had become skewed since "X Factor" took over the Christmas charts.

"The whole point of the campaign was the Christmas number one domination. Since I was young kid I always followed the Christmas Number one."

Morter's success highlights how downloads have changed the music charts in recent years.

"The technology is vastly different now and the rules are different as well for the charts. So strictly speaking any song that you pay for a download -- over 40 pence [60 cents] I think -- can be a single. So in theory anything can be a number one now if you push it."

Despite suffering a rare defeat, Simon Cowell was gracious and congratulated Morter personally and even managed to put a positive spin on events.

"He thanked us for a good campaign and said it was a complete shot in the arm for the Christmas charts with so many people looking forward to this chart. In that respect we had a great conversation. He was very nice."

Morter's propulsion into the media spotlight hasn't surprised him though. And the stranglehold that "The X Factor" has had over the past four Christmases hasn't pleased everyone. Perhaps most pleasing for Morter is the fact that he's dared to take on such a colossus of the music industry and won.

"Someone who's not in the music industry has suddenly turned up and beaten him at his own game," he said. "I not surprised it's caused a lot of shock."

Source

2009/12/22 17:35Profile
Compton

Re: "Killing in the Name" #1 Christmas Song in UK

Not sure how significant this 'event' is here...

However I do find it silly that supposed anti-establishmenters like Rage Against the Machine (whatever) can taunt the listener with "And now you do what they told ya, now you're under control"...and then reap huge profits because Jon Morter tells people to buy their song and they slavishly comply. I don't think this remote controlled human herd is the triumph for anarchy they were hoping for when they wrote this piece of "music". Or then again...maybe it was.:-D

MC

2009/12/22 17:56Profile
MaryJane

Re:

Greetings Heartsong

why does this matter? Why post it?

God Bless
Maryjane

2009/12/22 18:02Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Ok, I am likely the most ignorant person reading this post! :-( What is the significance of this information?

ginnyrose

2009/12/22 18:09Profile
HeartSong

Re:

There is a mob mentality that is rising to the surface. These "social" networks that are being established are starting to be used to direct the minds of the people. People are jumping on board to they know not what just so that they can be a part of the effect.

This so called Christmas song has nothing to do with Christmas, if fact it contains foul language, yet the people came forth as one to declare it as valid. The name of the song itself is very telling.

2009/12/22 19:19Profile
MaryJane

Re:

Greetings heartsong

Since I do not listen to worldly music, or follow or post to any of the social networks out there this one passed right over my head. Thank you for explaining your heart on this.

God bless
maryjane

2009/12/22 19:24Profile
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Re:

"People are jumping on board to they know not what just so that they can be a part of the effect.

This so called Christmas song has nothing to do with Christmas, if fact it contains foul language, yet the people came forth as one to declare it as valid. The name of the song itself is very telling."

'...the triumph for anarchy they were hoping for when they wrote this piece of "music".'

The undercurrent of this is something we may be more aware of in the future. Lets hope and pray not.

Paul wrote about the Mystery of Iniquity that was already at work then. According to the greek dictionary, the word translated iniquity is:

ἀνομία
anomia
an-om-ee'-ah
From G459; illegality, that is, violation of law or (generally) wickedness: - iniquity, X transgress (-ion of) the law, unrighteousness.

The American Heritage dictionary defines Anarchisim this way:

an·ar·chism (²n“…r-k¹z”…m) n. 1. The theory or doctrine that all forms of government are oppressive and undesirable and should be abolished. 2. Active resistance and terrorism against the state, as used by some anarchists. 3. Rejection of all forms of coercive control and authority: “He was inclined to anarchism; he hated system and organization and uniformity” (Bertrand Russell). --an”ar·chis“tic (-k¹s“t¹k) adj.

2009/12/28 8:06Profile

Re: Behold!, gross darkness shall cover the EARTH!...but...

"Ok, I am likely the most ignorant person reading this post! What is the significance of this information?"

ginnyrose..

If your first, then I'm a close second. Good point ginnyrose. I would guess it would serve as a road sign to mark the decline of Christianity and social morality and decency in the western world.

I've read a statistic [ don't know of the reliability of it...] that states there are more certified witches in the UK, than born again believers. [ It's an American band...] I come close to believing it. Surely the birth of Rock and Roll spawned wave after wave of Satanic affections, and this song is a remake , or a morph of early punk, grossly anti-establishment.

The interesting thing about it, is that it is new age RACISM, that cries out that the Establishment is WHITE, in power, and their wars and authority bring about death to everyone, and the band that screams it is predominately white. It's sends a message of Anarchy..."REVOLT against the white slave drivers who kill." Since it is primarily an Internet download, the filthy rants are uncensored.

The fact that it's pinnacle was on Christmas, THE Christian holiday, seems to rev up it's anti-Christ sentiments. It speaks of a new level of pure hatred and venom, against our Lord and His church, that has now become vogue and permissible.[ though the song is primarily political..] Yes, it is sick, but it gives us a peek at what we're up against. We need God's love to possess us to meet the challenge to show His life to a dying and rebellious world.

2009/12/28 9:19

HeartSong wrote

Quote:
These "social" networks that are being established are starting to be used to direct the minds of the people.

I'm afraid this is far from new. But you are right that the desired effect was carefully planned, by those who are, in fact, pulling the strings in this world.

2009/12/28 10:47
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re:

I think it is obvious what is going on in the world and more and more so, and i think those who have the spirit of God will be as grieved about it as he is, but also at the same time. We know it will like this, and it will become much worse before it becomes better. But let us pray and be sober.

And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh. (Luk 21:28 KJV)

I cant help rejoice, i know he is at the door and soon he comes in glory.... it will all pass, i just pray i would be a bright shining light the greater the darkness become on the earth that men may see Christ.

2009/12/28 11:04Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy