SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : How do Calvinists interpret these passages?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
Mattie

How do Calvinists interpret these passages?

Hebrews 10:28-31 'Anyone who has rejected Moses' law dies without mercy on the testimony of two or three witnesses. Of how much worse punishment, do you suppose, will he be thought worthy who has trampled the Son of God underfoot, counted the blood of the covenant BY WHICH HE WAS SANCTIFIED a common thing, and insulted the Spirit of grace? For we know Him Who said 'Vengeance is Mine, I will repay' says the Lord, And again 'the Lord will judge His people.' It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.'

2 Peter 2:1 'But there were also false prophets among the people, even as there will be false teachers among you, who will secretly bring in destructive heresies, even denying the Lord Who BOUGHT THEM, and bring on themselves swift destruction.'

2 Peter 2:20-21 'For if, after they have ESCAPED THE POLLUTIONS OF THE WORLD through the KNOWLEDGE OF THE LORD AND SAVIOR JESUS CHRIST, they are again entangled in them and overcome, the latter end is worse for them than the beginning. For it would have been better for them no to have known the way of righteousness, than having known it, to turn from the holy commandment delivered to them.'

Ezekiel 18:23 'Do I have any pleasure at all that the wicked should die? says the Lord, and not that he should turn from his ways and live?'

Ezekiel 18:32 'For I have no pleasure in the death of one who dies, says the Lord. Therefore turn and live!'

2009/12/22 8:44Profile
TaylorOtwell

Arkansas

Re: How do Calvinists interpret these passages?

We interpret these passages to mean that you should not forsake Christ. And that if you don't believe in Christ, you should embrace him immediately.

With care in Christ...

2009/12/22 8:54Profile
Mattie

Re:

That's kind of a brief answer. Could you he place ellaborate/expound on your interpretations of these passages in a more specific way?

2009/12/22 9:13Profile
Axe1338

Miami, Fl

Re:

I agree with Taylor... Mattie, I believe the texts are quite clear in what they are saying. It's evident that these people the text is speaking of are people with an intellectual belief in Christ but lacked saving faith, as did Nicodemus before he was reborn. Remember Nicodemus said to Jesus teacher no one can do these things unless He be from God, Nicodemus knew Jesus was from God because the signs He did backed up His good teaching and even with that knowledge Jesus still told him you must be born again (gr. anothen - born again from above). That is how we would interpret those texts.

2009/12/22 9:31Profile
BeYeDoers

Bloomington, IN

Re:

Quote:
the texts are quite clear...it's evident that these people the text is speaking of are people with an intellectual belief in Christ but lacked saving faith

Really? This is evident in the text? Can you show us where?

Interestingly enough, their faith is not even addressed, but rather God's MONERGISTIC actions of sanctification and redemption

2009/12/22 12:39Profile

Notice to posters: May I advise great caution?

Greg Gordon has specifically named this topic as one which been so overdone in the forums in the past, that we are strongly requested [i][b]not[/b][/i] to re-open the debates.

Greg has posted a link by which the forums may be searched, where you can read the reasons (for his request) in the previous greatly detailed discussions, (when you have time).

[url=http://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=007465431020570466359%3Adn1_kpmeho4]SI Search link[/url]

2009/12/22 13:28
hmmhmm

Sweden

Quote:
How do Calvinists interpret these passages?

Probably some different ways, many of these scriptures have been talked of before, and some of the calvanistic brethren have in depth tried to explain some of their interpretation of scripture, so i am sure you may find some hints to how and what they believe in one or more of the threads listed in the link below. I hope you find some answers

In HIM ,brother Christian

[url=http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=31655&forum=35&9]often discussed topics thread[/url]

2009/12/22 13:54Profile
Mattie

Re:

Thanks for pointing that out Alive-in-God.

I was not aware that this was something Greg encouraged us to avoid discussing. I can understand why.

2009/12/22 13:58Profile

Re:

Quote:
Greg Gordon has specifically named this topic as one which been so overdone in the forums in the past, that we are strongly requested not to re-open the debates.

Too late!

:-P

2009/12/22 15:00

Re:

Actually the end conclusion for many with Calvinistic leanings is that Paul's writings were tampered with. OR they don't fall into the category of "scripture" they are not written under the inspiration of the holy Ghost.

Now, I am not saying this, but these are words that have come out of the mouths of those who have Calvin's teachings.

2009/12/22 15:04

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy