SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Are YOU Holy?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread

Are YOU Holy?

This is a loaded question I know, but we are always talking about Holiness and there are posters who preach that we ought to be holy and we certainly should be, but I would like to know if you consider yourself to be Holy?

I don't consider myself to be holy, not by a long shot, and without holiness no man shall see the LORD.

Now please don't answer this way, "I am in Christ and that makes me holy". We can all say that, but I am asking You, do you consider yourself to be holy?

With your yes and or no answer, please give your reasons why?

Thank you

2009/12/18 13:41

Re: Are YOU Holy?

Quote:

DeepThinker wrote:
This is a loaded question I know, but we are always talking about Holiness and there are posters who preach that we ought to be holy and we certainly should be, but I would like to know if you consider yourself to be Holy?

I don't consider myself to be holy, not by a long shot, and without holiness no man shall see the LORD.

Now please don't answer this way, "I am in Christ and that makes me holy". We can all say that, but I am asking You, do you consider yourself to be holy?

With your yes and or no answer, please give your reasons why?

Thank you

Well since you don't consider yourself "holy" and without "holiness" know one shall see the Lord...well now your in a pickle. Cuz if thats true and you drop dead right now from something then you don't get to see the Lord cuz you weren't "holy".

I respond I am in Christ and so that makes me Holy. Just like the thief on the cross was made suddenly holy to then be with Christ in paradise.

Oh how quickly the transaction can be made!

2009/12/18 14:01

Re:

Quote:
Cuz if thats true and you drop dead right now from something then you don't get to see the Lord cuz you weren't "holy".

Ah, but I didn't say I wasn't holy, I just said that "I don't consider myself to be holy, not by a long shot". Many brethren don't see themselves to have died with Christ because of their problems with the flesh, however, we are dead regardless if we see it or not.

This is not about me, the question is do you consider yourself to be holy?

Thank you for your answer.

2009/12/18 16:45
Leo_Grace

Re:

It would be difficult to respond without first saying that I KNOW I am holy in the sight of God by my faith in Christ. Having said that, I KNOW I am still a sinful man despite all my best efforts to try and please God in everything that I do, so I would not lay claim to the title of "Holy". It is God who places that title on me by the blood of Christ.

2009/12/18 16:58Profile
MaryJane

Re:

Greetings Deepthinker

I think the best way that I can answer this is to say that I do not consider myself(maryjane) to be Holy. I do however know that Jesus who is in me is Holy and since the Father loves the Son and when the Father looks and me He sees the Son in me, I feel confidant by the cover of Jesus that I am Holy in Christ Jesus!

God Bless
mj

2009/12/18 17:38Profile

Re: What does holiness mean to you?

Leo and Mary Jane, what a sweeping flow of rain that passed through your posts.

2009/12/18 18:09

Re:

Quote:

DeepThinker wrote:
Quote:
Cuz if thats true and you drop dead right now from something then you don't get to see the Lord cuz you weren't "holy".

Ah, but I didn't say I wasn't holy, I just said that "I don't consider myself to be holy, not by a long shot". Many brethren don't see themselves to have died with Christ because of their problems with the flesh, however, we are dead regardless if we see it or not.

This is not about me, the question is do you consider yourself to be holy?

Thank you for your answer.

I know...I'm just messin with you.

I am of course "positionaly" Holy by the death, burial and resurrection of The Lord Jesus. I have been born again, so therefore I am a partacker of His work that has made me holy in Him.

Now, "practicaly" holy? Well to a degree yes. I am holy, set apart for Him in many areas. However there are areas where I am not where I believe I should be according to the scriptures.
I do desire to be practicaly holier each day.

D.J. Kennedy once said that some are "holier" than others. I believe this is biblical.

2009/12/18 18:24
trxx

ON Canada

Re:

thingsabove wrote

"D.J. Kennedy once said that some are "holier" than others. I believe this is biblical."

We often look at ourselves and consider our "holiness" or lack of. If we were to ascribe to ourselves, say on the usual scale of 1 - 10, with 10 being holy and 1 being a poor wretched man/woman deserving only of God's fiercest wrath, how might we scale our holiness?
The problem that I see is that we would even ascribe a scale to holiness. We either are holy or we are not holy. I do not believe that there are degrees of holiness. We are holy because it is a gift of God. We are not holy in and of ourselves plain and simple. We all deserve God's wrath but because of His great grace we are offered that which we cannot attain, holiness. Neither will we, in and of ourselves, get holier. We simply cannot, we will not. We may shed some of our sinful "shackles" but we will not be any holier than what we are now.
All this to say again that I believe that there are no degrees of holiness. We are holy or we are not holy.

2009/12/18 20:43Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

Re: holiness

Quote:
trxx wrote:
thingsabove wrote

"D.J. Kennedy once said that some are "holier" than others. I believe this is biblical."

We often look at ourselves and consider our "holiness" or lack of. If we were to ascribe to ourselves, say on the usual scale of 1 - 10, with 10 being holy and 1 being a poor wretched man/woman deserving only of God's fiercest wrath, how might we scale our holiness?
The problem that I see is that we would even ascribe a scale to holiness. We either are holy or we are not holy. I do not believe that there are degrees of holiness. We are holy because it is a gift of God. We are not holy in and of ourselves plain and simple. We all deserve God's wrath but because of His great grace we are offered that which we cannot attain, holiness. Neither will we, in and of ourselves, get holier. We simply cannot, we will not. We may shed some of our sinful "shackles" but we will not be any holier than what we are now.
All this to say again that I believe that there are no degrees of holiness. We are holy or we are not holy.

Christ's life, death, and resurrection has done many things for us that the old covenant could not do, except help us be obedient.

I cannot put words into his mouth, but DJ Kennedy might have meant that there are some more "obedient" than others.

Would you agree that there are degrees of obedience and some might be more obedient then others?

2009/12/18 21:44Profile

Re:

lysa, ..Well I really didn't want to get to deep into this. However, yes I belive that Kenned y was reffering to people being more "santified" because of growing in obedience.

Trxx said dosen't believe can be more or less holy. This is also similar to viewing all sin as equal. I believe that there is are levels of sin. just as I believe that there are levels of holiness or sanctification.

However having said all that. Any christian who beleives either way I beleive is blessed if we seek to love and obey Jesus.

2009/12/18 21:59

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy